News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Platoterm in development for the Amstrad CPC

Started by adolfo.pa, 14:22, 31 August 18

Previous topic - Next topic

adolfo.pa

I haven't got the time look into it yet, but the guy behind irata.online is developing a Plato terminal for the CPC (actually, the ZX is the main target, but who cares ...  :P ).

It looks like the only thing missing is a C wrapper on top of the M4 exposing the BSD Socket API, so it shouldn't be too difficult to port it. I'll give it a try this weekend; I have kids (i.e. almost no free time) so don't hold your breath.

[1] https://irata.online/

[2] https://github.com/tschak909/platotermzx

adolfo.pa

Hey @Duke, I have quick question about polling M4 sockets. Does checking the value at "(socket*16)+2" (the received field on the socket info) suffice to be sure there will be data on the next read? Or is there any other condition that I should be aware of?
Thanks a lot!

Duke

Quote from: adolfo.pa on 16:52, 31 August 18
Does checking the value at "(socket*16)+2" (the received field on the socket info) suffice to be sure there will be data on the next read?
Yes.

tschak909

This would be much appreciated, as it would make PLATOTerm immediately available for Amstrad CPC users. I just wish I could emulate it, in lieu of actual hardware. :)

-Thom

tschak909

and just like that, a successful bring-up for the Amstrad CPC!

-Thom

Gryzor

I've seen all the ST-related tweets, who knew! :D

adolfo.pa

Quote from: tschak909 on 07:42, 10 September 18
and just like that, a successful bring-up for the Amstrad CPC!
Wow! That was fast. I'm impressed  :)

Is the code already available on github?

EDIT: I see it is there. Thanks a lot for all you're doing!

tschak909

I have serial I/O hooked up, but literally no way to test it, as none of the extant emulator have either STI or Booster serial support.

-Thom

tschak909

tschak909

Thought i'd peek in and see if anyone attempted anything? :)

<-- is knee deep in the middle of doing the Apple IIgs port

-Thom

SOS

Quote from: adolfo.pa on 16:52, 31 August 18
Hey @Duke, I have quick question about polling M4 sockets. Does checking the value at "(socket*16)+2" (the received field on the socket info) suffice to be sure there will be data on the next read? Or is there any other condition that I should be aware of?
Thanks a lot!

Hi adolfo.pa & Duke,
is it possible to capsules the calls, that the Commands like C_NETCONNECT and the receive-data, can call with a RSX-Command?
So compatibility with other Hardware / Implementations are possible.  :)

adolfo.pa

Sorry @tschak909 , I totally missed you're previous messages. Real life got in the way sadly, so I haven't done anything about this other than making sure that everything needed can be implemented on top of the M4. But I'll give it a go, at least enough to implement a simple working example of a TCP client/server.
@SOS A set of RSX commands would be great indeed, but I have plenty on my plate atm so let's hope someone more capable than me takes the job  :)

tschak909

I just released PLATOTerm 1.0 for the Apple II, Atari 8-bit, Commodore 64, and Commodore 128. These sit alongside the ZX Spectrum version of PLATOTerm.

https://github.com/tschak909/platoterm64/releases/tag/PLATOTerm-1.0

I also sent in a write-up on IRATA.ONLINE to Vintage is the New Old:
https://www.vintageisthenewold.com/irata-online-a-community-for-retro-computing-enthusiasts/

I received a chunk of code for the Amstrad RS232 adapter, so I will try to make a z88dk RS232 driver out of it, to get started.

-Thom

tschak909

Has anyone tried to add support for the M4 card?

I haven't been able to get a working RS232 setup in MAME so I can complete it, are there other emulators with working RS-232 support?

-Thom

Monsieurmarc

Any progress on a client for the CPC,  The M4 still seems the best candidate to run from?