News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC Web browser developments (28 OCt 2013)

Started by rpalmer, 20:58, 27 October 13

Previous topic - Next topic

rpalmer

Hello everyone,

Well here is another development update of the CPCB evolution.

This update is more of a re-structure of files, while improving the development of a few external programs which are used by the CPCB. The re-structure is to simplify the use of common functions/Routines across the various modules (CPCB, HTML Rom and loaded internal modules)

The external programs are for the "Info" menu option which were previously internally codes routines. These options are now external programs. The use of external programs now means the other developers can see how external programs can be developed for the CPCB.

The re-structure of the files also included a change to the memory handler. The memory handler now has the capability of managing upto 2 MB of memory. The 2Mb of memory is common to the developed by RAM7 and Yareks (4Mb).

I have also started to document the CPCB in more details since the last update, but there is substantially more to be done to complete the manuals.

I am also in the process of developing a "connect" external program to connect to network connection via my ethernet card (which i believe works as expected, however I am also now in the process of looking at developing a new ethernet card which includes SD card interfaces). Once the connect program is developed and working I will then test this by accessing a real site which is only a HTML only site, since any other aspects of web sites can not be handled by the CPCB.

Rpalmer

Misel982001

hello mate. Please send me a pm. How will the browser work and installed on the cpc?

rpalmer

hello everyone,

Its been quite some time since my last update.

I have been checking and developing the web browser to ensure it handles the HTML correctly against examples as shown in the HTML v4.01 specification. Currently, the window frame scrolling has been an issue, but everything else appears okay for now.

I am also currently still developing the connection process "connect.exe" which attempts to use which ever serial communications device is attached to the CPC. There is of course a required set of drivers to be installed in the HDOS drivers rom, which parts of the TCP/IP packet handling code.

While the broswer works currently in mode 2, I am also changing this so that the user can also let it run in mode 1 so that more capability is available via colours. This means that users can change the operation mode on what they desire, but for mode 1 there are less character across the screen which will limit the user to less of HTML seen at any one time.

On the real CPC front my actual 6128 has no working floppy drive, so transfers of actual code/data is via the tape drive or via the currently developing SD/ethernet card interface and mods to HDOS so that FAT16/32 for auto detection/use makes it possible to speed up testing with a version of a web server on a Windows/Linux box to verify connection is possible.

Misel982001,

The browser as previously attached can be run in WinAPE with no additional hardware. However, for to use on a real CPC the actual hardware requirements are more than just a standard 464 or 6128. A real CPC would need at least 256K expansion of memory. I have setup WinAPE to have all 4Mb expansion available, but have yet to use much of that.

As for actual network access, this is detail above and for now only via local files is the only access possible.

rpalmer

Gryzor

Ha, it's funny, usually we talk about scrolling in games, here you're talking about scrolling an HTML page :D

rpalmer

hello people,

I am still working to get the CPC onto the internet via the browser.
During this time I have managed to get the browser to start in mode 1. There are a few tests I have to do before I am convinced that the program works as that for mode 2.

you can find attached the screen snap shot of the first successful startup in mode 1.

With this new mode available I will be able do a little more for the user interface to be more accepting of colours.

As for the advancement on the expansion, I have gathered the required information to create the SD and Ethernet interface, but for the memory this is still proving a difficult issue with the limited space for the required chips on both side of the PCB.

rpalmer

Gryzor

Yeah, but I don't think you can have any sort of text-related app reaching even a modicum of usability in mode 1...? Cool, still!

rpalmer

gryzor,

What sort of text-related app did you have in mind?
I might be able to create one such (in a limited way)

rpalmer

Devilmarkus

Would it be possible to use MODE 1, but a half-width font only?
I know, that would mean to code a new text renderer, but I'm sure, it would be worth a try.
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

Gryzor

No, I just meant the browser, didn't have much else in mind :)

rpalmer

devilmarkus,

The browser does support proportional fonts, but I have not tested that part yet.
So upon successful testing of that type of font we would get on average 50 or so characters per line.
The eventual aim is to improve the usability so that the text appears more conventional like current the browser you are currently using now.

rpalmer

TFM

Looks great, but the colors could be improved. I literally can't read the text.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

rpalmer

hello everyone,

I have now managed to get the browser to be switchable between mode 1 and mode 2. I cannot however have both at the same time, since when used with the TCP/IP software its interrupt handler cannot be interrupted as I need to get the best speed from a network.

Attached is the run time version.

To change screen modes the user simply enters the following (no need for caps - only shown for emphasis):

From the main screen press 'O' for options
Then press 'A' for access
The press 'M' to change which mode the app works in).

The next version will be able to display a mode 1 screen in mode 2 (only with mode 2 colours) and a mode 2 screen in mode 1.

rpalmer