Author Topic: Music Files  (Read 368 times)

Online ComSoft6128

• Supporter
  • CPC664
  • CPC THEN CPC NOW
  • Liked: 24
Music Files
« on: 09:36, 28 November 17 »
Does anyone have the Rob Baxter music discs for sale?
And if so can they be played independently of Rainbirds Advanced Music System?

Alternatively, if you have them and don't want to part with them, is there anyone that could copy the files for me. I would of course pay for postage and provide the discs to be copied to.

Thanks,

Peter

Offline Penda

• Speccy
  • Liked: 6
Re: Music Files
« Reply #1 on: 13:48, 28 November 17 »
Hi peter,

You can download disk images of all of Rob Baxter's music - just google his name along with Amstrad CPC.
I'm afraid Rainbird's Music System is required to play these but this can also be found for download via Google search.
There is also a downloadable manual available too.
Hope this is of help.

John

Offline GeoffB17

• 464 Plus
  • PCW since '86
  • Liked: 50
« Reply #2 on: 16:53, 28 November 17 »
Yes, I followed this through, and saw the bits mentioned.   Had a look at the manual, but it doesn't answer my immed questions.

Is the AMS a specifically CPC system (I see it's for 464 and 6128) or is it CP/M?

Also, no mention of any capability re midi files.   So I assume none.

Pity.   I play quite a bit with midi files, and midi data, and have quite a bit of software re midi for PC/DOS, and some modules to make the actual sounds.

I think there was also a music system by EMS (Electronic Music Studio ?), this system was - I think - more CP/M and I think it was available for the PCW (as well ?), and I'm sure this one did have midi.   But not so well known?

I have an article in my files, from an old mag, that incl circuit diags etc for making a midi interface, etc - I think for a Commodore VIC ?.   Maybe similar would work for PCW/CPC??   Maybe JonB might advise?

The screens etc for AMS look rather like an old PC system I have, PC-Lyra.   This system works quite well, although it does play via a midi interface, so it can sound pretty good depending on the modules attached, it saves the music to it's own format, but there is a way of converting files, certainly .LYR to .MID, not sure about the other way.

Oh, apart from the external modules, I have a Roland LAPC-I card in one of my old PCs, used for midi.   As well as being a sound/music card, this also provides the midi interface for the other connectioons.

Geoff

HaHa - in case anyone wonders, no, I cannot PLAY anything musical.   But I do like messing with the midi files/data!

Online ComSoft6128

• Supporter
  • CPC664
  • CPC THEN CPC NOW
  • Liked: 24
« Reply #3 on: 20:40, 28 November 17 »
Thanks for the answers....
Unfortunately my CPC and Laptop are not on speaking terms, though I suppose I could run the files from WinAPE.
As far as I know AMS was CPC specific.
Pretty sure (75%) that there was something in ACU or AA about running them independently from AMS. MMM........some digging required I think.

Cheers,

Peter

Offline GeoffB17

• 464 Plus
  • PCW since '86
  • Liked: 50
« Reply #4 on: 00:27, 29 November 17 »
Just out of technical interest, I've just downloaded some of the music files, a set of *.MUS including a selection of things.

Looking at the content of the files, there is no hint of anything like midi data.

However, if these files can be played, then there must be something akin to the same sort of info that is within a midi file, so it COULD be possible to translate a file.   It would ba a help to find some info on the file format!

Geoff