News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

a bit of cpc wiki groveling........

Started by cpc4eva, 22:23, 13 March 10

Previous topic - Next topic

cpc4eva

ok straight to the point im groveling sucking up whatever you want to call it.....

how good is this though -

amstrad plc officially stopped manufacture / production of amstrad cpc in 1990

the last offical AA mag, AA117 was published in 1995.

and now its 2010 and i can log onto this cpc forum coming home from another grueling nights work and find so much cpc goodness is still churning out..... have I gone to heaven ?????? possibly  ;)

the new cpc games

the new cpc demos

the new cpc projects

everything just feels so good 

i just cant believe it - its too good to be true :)

Gryzor

I must update my 'grovel' definition, I thought you had negative comments (which would be just as good!), but it never ceases to impress me as well... :)

We're all having quite some fun, aren't we? :D

MacDeath

Just hoping this 2010 year will be good for the remaining amstrad 8 bit world.

And games as good and numerous as in 2009...

And meeting the Spanish scene was great too for me.

May the PLUS be with you all. ;D

PS : don't cum too hard in your pants jeezs.... :D

arnoldemu

Quote from: MacDeath on 14:00, 17 March 10

And games as good and numerous as in 2009...

PS : don't cum too hard in your pants jeezs.... :D
you want *those* type of games on cpc+?  ;)
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

redbox

Quote from: arnoldemu on 14:41, 17 March 10
you want *those* type of games on cpc+?  ;)

Although I thought Leisure Suit Larry would make a great Plus cartridge game (especially with 512k of space to play with)...  8)

arnoldemu

Quote from: redbox on 17:32, 17 March 10
Although I thought Leisure Suit Larry would make a great Plus cartridge game (especially with 512k of space to play with)...  8)
On the ST, this had 2 bitmaps. One bitmap was the screen you saw, the second was a "control" map and also dictated where you could walk behind. So they used the control map to draw larry onto the screen and mask as appropiate.

so when you planning to code it? ;)
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

redbox

Quote from: arnoldemu on 17:35, 17 March 10
On the ST, this had 2 bitmaps. One bitmap was the screen you saw, the second was a "control" map and also dictated where you could walk behind. So they used the control map to draw larry onto the screen and mask as appropiate.

I never saw it on the ST but the coding sounds interesting so will definitely take a look.

Quote from: arnoldemu on 17:35, 17 March 10
so when you planning to code it? ;)

Just as soon as I finish my up/down/left/right scrolling game (with added monkeys)... doing tile maps is hectic, even with the Z80's nice table routines.

Starting to wish I had chosen something like LSL to start off with now  :)

MacDeath

when in Spain, we had a discussion on those kind of games : the graphicall point and click like Maniac Mansion (existed on C64 or even NES), Monkey Island, Loom, indiana Jones III and so on...

with heavy dialogue part.

(But also police quest, space quest, king quest, Leisure suit larry and so on...)

Yes, such games do not exist on CPC (neither on PLUS of course) and it's a shame.

Because most of those games were typically American (yet Bargon Attack on PC was french...) and spanish of french weren't too much into that stuff.

I don't think such game would be that heavy on CPU as no need of that lot of fast actions or scrollings.
A 6128 config (and even better, a 6128+ with heavy Rom cart) would be sweet.
The disk drive would enable decent loadings (even better with a 3"1/2 of course), the Cartridge version may include lot's of other additionnal stuff of course...and be really 16bit flavoured (despite the Mode0 of course)
But the +64Ko ram is enough to get some special effect and cinematics...or nice musics...or whatever.

Also those games used almost the same unchanged engine, so if a proper engine is done, every one of those games can be modded into this engine.

So yep, a decent engine for such game would be nice.

Let's say : an horizontal raster mode change :
Mode 0 for the graphical part, and mode1 for the inventory/actions list/text part.
Of course a bit of optimisation for the actions (some of those games had too many of them).

Day of the tentacle anyone ?

IMO, LOOM would be great for a begining.
Not that actions/interaction/item oriented, easy (no shitty 1 pixel of death click...), sweet graphics and story and so on...

Also any kind of Extra memory extension (more than the common 128k) may be easily used to reduce loadings per exemple... or extra musics/sounds effects/cinematic sprites animations...

But on a PLUS just a Disk and a big cartridge and a 128k ram is more than enough.

The sprite management wouldn't be more complicated than on a DoubleDragon or Renegade beat'em all game...yet the screens may be quite bigger in memory than tile based ones (as this kind of game use more artistic original backgrounds...)but that's where the Cart is sweet.