Author Topic: Amstrad Action TYPE-IN PROJECT  (Read 37714 times)

Offline dthrone

• CPC664
    • SOHDE
  • Liked: 102
Re: Amstrad Action TYPE-IN PROJECT
« Reply #275 on: 12:43, 04 April 18 »
I'm sure they printed Bomber from the back of the CPC manual as a type-in one issue then issued some sort of warning/apology the next issue?  Can't remember the issue numbers but it would be mid-late era.  Now that was definitely copyright infringement  :P

Offline AMSDOS

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
    • index.php?action=treasury
    • Programs for Turbo Pascal 3
  • Liked: 692
« Reply #276 on: 13:57, 04 April 18 »
I'm sure they printed Bomber from the back of the CPC manual as a type-in one issue then issued some sort of warning/apology the next issue?  Can't remember the issue numbers but it would be mid-late era.  Now that was definitely copyright infringement  :P

There were lots of naughty type-ins around 1991, which began with the Bomber program in AA70, Thro' the Wall in AA71 was a Breakout game lifted from the Manual (which was out of an Early ACU), a similar program also appeared in a later AA Type-ins as well, and in the following AA72 Picstore appeared which was also out of an ACU. Prior to '91, I can only recall a Space Hockey game being published in AA65. The funny thing about that was AA originally published it in AA42. I don't think it happened any earlier than that.
* Using some of the hardly used Amstrad compilers :D
* I use Firmware in my Assembly code :P
* Have interpreted some BASIC 1.1 programs for BASIC 1.0. :)

Offline AMSDOS

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
« Reply #277 on: 13:53, 05 September 18 »
While I've been playing around with the AA57 Type-ins, I found an unusual use for the Bigprint Routine. It's possible when using the command to have the Transparent Mode on, so redefining and multicoloured characters can be used, my example is using a 8x4 redefined graphic, though had it been 8x8, the Bigprint routine could add additional colours to the graphic, allowing the use of contrasting colours - from Yellow to Dark Yellow or the Greens or Blues.

My little example is just an example of a 2 Colour Space Ship stuck in the Middle of the Screen with Left/Right Cursor Keys to move it, because of the size of the ship (being 16x8), moving it across the screen is very quick.  :)

Code: [Select]

100 SYMBOL 255,8,20,34,65,0,0,0,0:SYMBOL 254,0,8,28,62,0,0,0,0:MODE 0:INK 0,11:INK 1,26:INK 2,9:BORDER 0:ton$=CHR$(22)+CHR$(1):toff$=CHR$(22)+CHR$(0):a$=CHR$(255):b$=CHR$(254):c$=CHR$(32):x=10:y=10:PRINT ton$;
110 GOSUB 190
120 WHILE INKEY(18)<>0
130   IF INKEY(8)=0 THEN IF x>1 THEN GOSUB 180:|BIGPRINT,x,y,@c$,1,1:x=x-1:GOSUB 170:GOSUB 190
140   IF INKEY(1)=0 THEN IF x<19 THEN GOSUB 180:|BIGPRINT,x,y,@c$,1,1:x=x+1:GOSUB 170:GOSUB 190
150 WEND
160 MODE 2:END
170 PRINT ton$;:RETURN
180 PRINT toff$;:RETURN
190 |BIGPRINT,x,y,@a$,1,1:|BIGPRINT,x,y@b$,2,2:RETURN

Offline scruss

• CPC464
    • We Saw a Chicken ...
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #278 on: 17:06, 05 September 18 »
There were lots of “lifts” between magazines, sometimes direct, sometimes with variations. Amstrad Action July 1992 has a very close variant (adds a high score table) of Star Dodger, written for ACU September 1988. Star Dodger is itself a clone of Asterisk Tracker, a BBC BASIC one-liner published in BEEBUG magazine in December 1984.
Type-ins and articles for ACU were published on an "all rights" basis: you transferred all rights (except for moral right, which includes the right to be recognized as the author) internationally forever in exchange for payment. I'm pretty sure that Future Publishing had the same terms, though I have more memories of sending the rights slips back to Adlington every month so I could get paid.

Offline AMSDOS

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
« Reply #279 on: 01:53, 07 September 18 »
There were lots of “lifts” between magazines, sometimes direct, sometimes with variations. Amstrad Action July 1992 has a very close variant (adds a high score table) of Star Dodger, written for ACU September 1988. Star Dodger is itself a clone of Asterisk Tracker, a BBC BASIC one-liner published in BEEBUG magazine in December 1984.

I remember typing in that Star Dodger from AA back in the day and having a lot of fun with it, without really knowing about the original game from ACU, though I always wondered why it had v2. Apart from the Hi-score Table which is a nice addition to the game, I think the only other difference is the Asterisks are now Green.

I'd like to try that BBC BASIC one-liner though, just to see how it goes with BBC BASIC for the CPC.

Type-ins and articles for ACU were published on an "all rights" basis: you transferred all rights (except for moral right, which includes the right to be recognized as the author) internationally forever in exchange for payment. I'm pretty sure that Future Publishing had the same terms, though I have more memories of sending the rights slips back to Adlington every month so I could get paid.

The Star Dodger game created a situation where coders were adapting other peoples programmes, I'm unsure if anyone pulled up on that programme either, though it pretty much created a series of circumstances where people modify existing programmes and sent them to AA. Another controversial game being Parrot from AA102 Type-ins which came out of an early book (Sensational Games for the Amstrad CPC464), however the game AA published, had been modified to run in MODE 1, which on inspection with the original game took quite a bit of modifying in the code. I guess if the author had changed the Graphics to something else and retitled the game, it may had never of been suspected of being lifted.  :D

Offline scruss

• CPC464
    • We Saw a Chicken ...
« Reply #280 on: 02:13, 08 September 18 »
The Star Dodger game created a situation where coders were adapting other peoples programmes, I'm unsure if anyone pulled up on that programme either …
AA published an "Oops" the next issue after some people (but not me, who wrote the thing) complained.
I'd like to try that BBC BASIC one-liner though, just to see how it goes with BBC BASIC for the CPC.
It sort of works, but the colour detection doesn't work as expected so the game doesn't offer any useful interaction. If you want to try it, it's easiest to dump the source one-liner to a text file (don't forget the ^Z EOF marker), transfer it to a DSK image then *EXEC the text file from BBC BASIC. That gets the very long line in with no buffer overflow problems.

Offline AMSDOS

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
« Reply #281 on: 04:48, 08 September 18 »
AA published an "Oops" the next issue after some people (but not me, who wrote the thing) complained.

Yeah, seemed to be more about the error AA made in republishing the same Type-ins twice.  :D

It sort of works, but the colour detection doesn't work as expected so the game doesn't offer any useful interaction. If you want to try it, it's easiest to dump the source one-liner to a text file (don't forget the ^Z EOF marker), transfer it to a DSK image then *EXEC the text file from BBC BASIC. That gets the very long line in with no buffer overflow problems.

Was just about to post another program in the BBC BASIC thread which falls along the same lines.  :)

Offline Zoe Robinson

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
  • I become a minor egg
    • ZoeRobinson.com
  • Liked: 508
« Reply #282 on: 19:21, 14 September 18 »
Damn, I always liked Star Dodger. It was the best of the lot in that "Christmas Crackers" type-in booklet AA put on the cover one Christmas. I never realised back then that it was nicked. :(

Offline scruss

• CPC464
    • We Saw a Chicken ...
« Reply #283 on: 04:08, 15 September 18 »
There's another "Star Dodger" - unrelated - that AA published shortly before my Star Dodger appeared in ACU.
Mine was originally called 2D Star Dodge (after 3D Star Strike) but for $reasons->{'unknown'} Simon and Jeff didn't like the name and asked if I could change it to Star Dodger. I thought that 2D Star Dodge was lost forever, but I was amazed to find it on a French cracking group site. I must've shared it with penpal in Le Havre (we exchanged a tape roughly twice a year: man, there were some weird CPC stuff coming out of France back then) and he must've passed it on to someone who kept it.

Offline AMSDOS

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
« Reply #284 on: 11:22, 15 September 18 »
There's another "Star Dodger" - unrelated - that AA published shortly before my Star Dodger appeared in ACU.

The funniest thing about that one, is a very similar One Liner was published in the May 1986 issue of ACU. I found the one in AA21 (June '87), though as ACU had another similar programme with those short programmes, it seems likely people would come up with similar solutions for those short programs.  :D

Offline ComSoft6128

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
  • CPC THEN CPC NOW
  • Liked: 483
« Reply #285 on: 11:34, 15 September 18 »
Convergent evolution in the programming world :D