News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad Action TYPE-IN PROJECT

Started by CPCIak, 09:56, 03 January 10

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Yeah, that's more than enough. Hope I can organize myself this weekend to give it an overhaul!

CPCIak

Thanx. Maybe someone else is used to the wiki syntax and is willing to take part in the project.

CPCIak

Gryzor

CPCIak

Ygdrazil

Hi

Maybe I can help?

/Ygdrazil

CPCIak

Hello Ygdrazil. We need someone who is used to the wiki syntax and is willing to upload the files.
Every AA issue I've finished so far contains a dsk file and several screenshots.

Ygdrazil

Excellent where I can make a few AA type ins pages..

Where are the screenshots and dsk files located?

I think we should go for the layout used for the ACU type ins project!  :D

/Ygdrazil

Quote from: CPCIak on 20:45, 31 January 10
Hello Ygdrazil. We need someone who is used to the wiki syntax and is willing to upload the files.
Every AA issue I've finished so far contains a dsk file and several screenshots.

CPCIak

Quote from: Ygdrazil on 10:25, 02 February 10
Where are the screenshots and dsk files located?

The completed AA Type-Ins are located as attachments in this thread.
You are right Ygdrazil, the AA pages should look like the ACU ones:
magazines -> AA -> issue xxx -> scanned pages + Type-Ins

CPCIak

AA Issue 101 #COMPLETE#
Including the three pages long progy "SafeSoft Disc Archiver"

Bryce

Hi CPClak,
        I've just got hold of some really old 3" disks from way back and some of them are full of type-ins that I was stupid enough to waste an entire weekend typing in back then, I think most of them were from AA or Computing with the Amstrad. Obviously it might save your fingers from further bleeding (some of them are extremely long), if you don't have to type them in again. But how can I tell if you have covered them yet? And if they are of use to you, what format do you need them in?

Bryce.

CPCIak

Thank you very much Bryce!
Could you please upload the type-ins as DSK?

Bryce

I'd love to, but they are on real 3" disks on a real CPC, what's the quickest way of gathering / sorting and converting them? I haven't ever compiled a DSK file.

Bryce.

CPCIak

Sorry, I don't know how to transfer real discs, either.
Well, I haven't got a 3,5inch floppy nor something else to transfer files. I'm waiting for the SD-HxC Floppy Interface to be released.

Bryce

Ok, I go and find out how to do it first and get back to you....

Bryce.

Zehphez

Just a question: Is the project still alive?
- Zehphez -

Nich

Quote from: Zehphez on 21:35, 01 February 11
Just a question: Is the project still alive?
I haven't forgotten about it! I'm just taking a break from it at the moment.

TFM

Quote from: Bryce on 15:13, 13 February 10
I'd love to, but they are on real 3" disks on a real CPC, what's the quickest way of gathering / sorting and converting them? I haven't ever compiled a DSK file.

Bryce.

Well, I would suggest the following way:

- First make a copy from 3" to a 3.5" disc (you can use the quick disc-copy of FutureOS for that).
- Second you take that 3.5" disc and put it into the drive of a real PC (that must have a disc drive)
- Third you use CPCDiscXP to read the 3.5" disc and create a .DSK file very comfortably.

The CPCDiscXP can be downloaded here:
http://www.cpcmania.com/
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Zoe Robinson

Quote from: Nich on 21:29, 10 February 11
I haven't forgotten about it! I'm just taking a break from it at the moment.

Sorry for my first post being thread necromancy but did this project ever get completed? If not, is there any interest in continuing it? I'd love to get involved and see it through to completion.

AMSDOS

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 20:45, 20 October 13
Sorry for my first post being thread necromancy but did this project ever get completed? If not, is there any interest in continuing it? I'd love to get involved and see it through to completion.

Hi Zoe,

No the project gets little bites of the cherry here and there, you can find what's been done on this page.
The only problem with it is one has to type in all the type-ins from that issue and submit it there, the alternative which I've been doing (not so much with AA type-ins), is to type-in a program and sent it to CPC-Power, there you can find a huge database of programs. The idea there you can look up the Amstrad Action as the Publisher and see what programs are there.  :)
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Gryzor

...or, you know, keep it here instead of advertising rival sites.

Spoiler: ShowHide
j/k of course..

Zoe Robinson

Thanks for the replies, guys. I've started working on the type-ins again, although I've not sent links or anything to the other site (yet?).

So far, I've only finished issue 24 (September 1987). I'm rather impressed with the text editor that was in that issue - 800 lines for a decently-functioning text editor? Nice!

Bryce

I don't think I'd have the heart to type in one of those type-ins again. I'm still suffering from childhood memories of spending an entire weekend inputing meaningless Hexcode only to be presented with some obscure error message or an instant crash with no clue where the error might be (and usually it was a typo in the magazine).

Bryce.

Zoe Robinson

Quote from: Bryce on 20:20, 22 October 13
I don't think I'd have the heart to type in one of those type-ins again. I'm still suffering from childhood memories of spending an entire weekend inputing meaningless Hexcode only to be presented with some obscure error message or an instant crash with no clue where the error might be (and usually it was a typo in the magazine).

Bryce.

I had a problem like that just today when the emulator I was using to generate the .dsk images crashed, taking the 800-line text editor from issue 24 with it. After that, I saved every 100 lines.

TFM

Remembers me about one of my first games I ever typed in....

Worked on typing in a data loader for 3 and a half hours. Suddenly the electricity went off, the CPC did a reset and that was it! I got so mad I intended to throw the keyboard out of the window, but saw my parents there so I didn't do it.
Today I still save all the time ... and never did throw any keyboard btw... (Well, if I would have a c64... one can't know ;-))

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus