News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Back online!

Started by Gryzor, 13:24, 02 December 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Hey guys,

Apologies for the downtime. Here's what happened:

for a while now we've preparing to move to a bigger, stronger, prettier server. We were hoping to have finished the move before yesterday, when the lease for the old server ended, but as it happens life got in the way and we didn't manage to set the new server up completely.

So we asked the host to keep the old server alive for a few more days, to which they agreed. However, come Dec. 1st, they actually went ahead and brought the old server down, leaving the domain name mid-air. We forwarded the domain to the new server trying to rush things, but in the meanwhile also tried to get them to bring the old server back. Which they did, in the end, and we re-assigned the domain name to its IP.

...so we're back to where we started :)

Thanks for your understanding,
T

Neil79

The latest in Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

Gryzor

Yeah, there were a lot of those, believe me.

:picard:

Zoe Robinson

Welcome back. :)

||C|-|E||

:picard: too...

But is great to have the forum back!  :D

Gryzor

Yes it is... and of all days, of course, it just *had* to happen as I fell ill :6

CraigsBar

Oddly enough Tapatalk works on my tablet.. But not the phone at the moment. Weird!

Sent from my A3-A30 using Tapatalk

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Gryzor

Huuuuh that's interesting. What error do you get? Are they on the same network? Maybe in this case it's because it has kept the old/new IP address in its cache...

CraigsBar

Errors connect (get_config)

Sent from my A3-A30 using Tapatalk

Gryzor

Ah that's probably an unreachable server indeed. I think just by rebooting your DNS cache gets cleared...

CraigsBar

Yeh I just swapped the network on the phone to the same 4g access point as the tablet is using and it works here too now. Will reboot the phone soon.

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

Gryzor

Ah there you go... But if I read this correctly rebooting won't help, it's the ISP's DNS servers that have kept the older address, so even emptying your cache it will read the same IP from there upon reboot. I think.

Phantomz

Welcome back  :)

The site was only down a day and I was mssing it .  :doh:  ;D

Gryzor

Thanks mate... The fact that people miss it when something happens makes me really anxious, but on the other hand it makes me quite happy, too :)

CraigsBar

Hmm odd indeed. Phone restarted and still not working on its own 4g data connection. But works fine on the 4g router hotspot. Especially odd since they both have 3 Ireland simcards. Oh well at least it's confirmed as a problem this end, not yours.

Gryzor

Hm. Yes, weird indeed, but I've seen too much weirdness with DNS changes, so don't bother. If your router allows it, try changing its DNS servers and specify the Google ones (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)

CraigsBar

Better on the phone. The router works ;)

AMSDOS

Good to be back online.  :) 

When you were offline though, I tend to go back writing small programming routines.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Gryzor

Uh-oh. Maybe we should install a short-term banning module or something that will kick users out for preset times of the day so they can be productive :D

AMSDOS

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:26, 03 December 15
Uh-oh. Maybe we should install a short-term banning module or something that will kick users out for preset times of the day so they can be productive :D

Well normally when I login, I normally state 60 minutes to stay logged in for as a guide, though it doesn't always necessarily work like that.  :(
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3