News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPCWiki 2010 stats

Started by Gryzor, 09:40, 12 January 11

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

I was looking at the stats for 2010 compared to 2009 yesterday... and I can say that 2010 was a phenomenal year for CPCWiki! Of course it was a phenomenal year for the CPC, because from what I understand other CPC sites have shown great increases too, but I can only speak for our own site :)

I'm attaching a brief report here, but a few salient points:

• Visits up by 88%! Yeah baby... of course in 2009 we had the domain issue during the summer, but still you can see from the chart that it has taken off during the second part of 2010...
  • Over 50000 people (according to Google) have visited the site!!! If that's not amazing, then I don't know what is. Of course lots of these are not really unique, as far as I can understand. Also, there's the bounce issue (discussed below), but even if we attribute all the bounces to unique visitors who landed here by chance (??) we're still left with 32000 people (anyone following me?). I just can't believe the figure...
  • 136% increase in pageviews!!! So not only more people are visiting, but they're interacting more and more...
  • Bounce rate down by 13%. Still pretty high at 36%, but this particular metric has always been a bit of a mystery to me on all the sites I've worked on, personal or professional - it's always too high IMO.
  • Average time on site rose by 53% - that's involvement...
  • New visits are down by 11%. This may mean we're reaching a plateau where reaching new users becomes more difficult, but the content shows that those who do visit, stay more.
  • Of course, the forum has taken over the main page as the point of entry - this shows that we have indeed filled a void created by the demise of the Zone, and that it was needed alright.
  • 21% more people visit the site directly. Referrals from other sites is down by 15%[nb]Alexa lists 31 sites linking here, and this includes signatures in other fora etc. Pretty low... :( [/nb], however, so I would say: try and spread the word! :)
  • 917.000 pages served. That's a lot of content :)
  • Browsers: Firefox 50% (down from 55%), IE 23% (down from 25%)[nb]seriously? :D[/nb], Chrome 10% (up from 5%), Opera stable at 8%, Safari 4.60% (Mac users?)
  • 3000 visits took place over dial up. This may have to do with the geographical distribution?
  • Visits per Country: UK 25000 (13000), Germany 20000 (9000)[nb]demise of german forum?[/nb] France 17000 (9000)[nb]Vive la France![/nb], Spain 14000 (5000)[nb]same, but in Spanish[/nb], Australia 7000 (2500)[nb]late on the wagon? :D[/nb], Greece 5300 (4300)[nb]I should meet them...[/nb]. And you can see from the report's map that we're all over :D
And that's about it. Of course you don't need figures to see all the new people coming here and actually contributing their hearts out in terms of posts, projects and edits, but it's pretty interesting...

Thank you all :)

redbox

All sounds very impressive!  Great job you're doing here.

Btw, 36% is a pretty good bounce rate in my experience.

Gryzor

I'm not the only one doing a great job, let's not forget that.  And I'm not talking only about the content side, but the technical side, as well...

redbox

Quote from: Gryzor on 10:04, 12 January 11
I'm not the only one doing a great job, let's not forget that.

Oh yes of course, I meant the royal "you"  :)

Gryzor

Heh much better :)

Btw, the forum stats, although not as comprehensive, are still impressive as well:

-831 new threads vs 390: 113% up!
-12962 posts vs 3511: 269% up!!!!!!!!!!
-Pageviews: 1684831 vs 528842: 218% up (though I really don't know how this relates to the GA figure...).

Only new members are down, but it seems we're getting more *substantial* members...

trocoloco

just reading those stats the only thing that anyone can say is just congratulations for the great work that cpcwiki's team is doing.

Bryce

Hmmm, we need to work on our exposure in central and west Africa. We're obviously not getting the message across to Chad, Niger or The Democratic Republic of The Congo... not to mention the ever popular retro scene in Guinea, Sierra Leone or Liberia. Time for our marketing team to get their passports renewed and their tropical vaccinations up to date :D

Bryce.

norecess

Great. I also noticed big numbers on my own website.

Visits per Country: UK 25000 (13000), Germany 20000 (9000)[3] France 17000 (9000),..
I was wondering : how much for Canada ?  :D

More seriously, perhaps it could be the time to put the front page to the next level ? I mean : I bookmarked the forum, but not the main cpcwiki website. I'm sure others there did like me.

MacDeath

Soorry it must be me... the editing spree I got recently surely boosted something... ;D

Gryzor

Boost the homepage how? Right now we're actually two sites, one forum, one wiki. And these are joined by the same community members. But I do understand that many members have the forum as the destination of choice... how would you spruce up the wiki's page?

Wanderer

Quote from: Gryzor on 18:26, 12 January 11how would you spruce up the wiki's page?

You don't (just joking :) ). Well, as you said:

Quote from: Gryzor on 18:26, 12 January 11Right now we're actually two sites, one forum, one wiki.

These two sites serve two different purposes. The wiki contains tons of "static" info about retro stuff (there's a limit on what you can write in a wiki article and how much you can expand it, given the fact that the articles are about things not being evolved anymore) but the forum is a live place containing info about what's going on today and interactive discussions. How many times per month one can read a specific wiki entry? ;)

Personally, lately every time i visit the site, i visit the forum exclusively. I currently don't have time to travel through all the info in the wiki, i just visit the forum to catch up a little and see what's going on in the scene.
- Wanderer -

Gryzor

Quote from: Bryce on 14:32, 12 January 11
Hmmm, we need to work on our exposure in central and west Africa. We're obviously not getting the message across to Chad, Niger or The Democratic Republic of The Congo... not to mention the ever popular retro scene in Guinea, Sierra Leone or Liberia. Time for our marketing team to get their passports renewed and their tropical vaccinations up to date :D

Bryce.

Heheheh this was really nice :D

@Wanderer: yes, I know what you mean - it's the same with most people: you visit the wiki for something specific - either to edit it or to look up something specific. It's rather rare to just surf it, but then again I wouldn't call it 'static' - just look at the number of edits!

Wanderer

Quote from: Gryzor on 09:02, 13 January 11but then again I wouldn't call it 'static'

I agree, i was just trying to compare it to the forum, which is more dynamic than it. I think you described it better than me:

Quote from: Gryzor on 09:02, 13 January 11you visit the wiki for something specific ... It's rather rare to just surf it
- Wanderer -

arnoldemu

i mostly visit the forum. I also look at the RecentPages in the wiki.

The front page:
- Side links are good
- link to forum needs to be really obvious here, perhaps a link in the main part.
Also the news could perhaps be put more in the centre.
Maybe put the RSS feeds here (or a link to the various feeds in the forum).

This may help?

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Gryzor

-The Xmas pic will be replaced with one leading to the forum. I've been putting it off for a while now, out of pure laziness... if anyone can make a nice image it'd make me really happy :)
-The news more in the centre... hmmm... maybe we could have a table with one cell at the top (first row) and two cells thereafter, and in the first there would appear the news? This would possible solve also the problem of thumbnails screwing things up; I don't know if the mediawiki markup allows that, but in the worst case we could use two tables.
-I've thought about the RSS feed. I think I've asked about people's opinions in the past. I had found a couple of extensions for Mediawiki that could poll the forum for its feed, but I'm not sure about its use...

MacDeath

my firefox shortlink to CPC wiki forum actually get me into the CPCwiki's mainpage...

I have to click on "Forum" each time in order to get again into the Forum.
So each time i connect to the forum I first have to connect to the Wiki's pmain page.

I know I could get this fixed but I don't want. :P

BTW where can I find a banner linking to the CPCwiki to put as a signature in other forums ?

steve

It seems most people (myself included) come directly to the forum, possibly not even giving the wiki a second's thought, so you could put a button on the forum top line "menu" that would call up a random page from the wiki, this would make the wiki a lot more "visible".

Gryzor

@steve: this is a nice suggestion, I'll see how I can implement it; I think it's mostly a layout, rather than a technical, issue.
@Bryce: if you go to http://cpc-live.com/topsites/ you'll see the lovely (...) banner I've made myself :D

Btw, guys, I've been fighting with the main page's table code for an hour now and I'm getting nowhere. Perhaps it's the splitting headache I'm having, but I can't figure out how to make the News cell to take the space of the top two cells (first row - what you would call collspan="2")... :6

Gryzor

Question: anyone who could tell us, or ask someone at Phenix to tell us, how many inbound links they're having from us? I'd like to see if and how the inclusion of their RSS feed helps bring traffic...

It's nice to see, at Topsites, that CPCPower, Phenix, Amstrad ESP have all gone up over time!

PS According to Google Analytics a few days back we reached 598 unique visitors in a day - damn!!!! Two short of 600!