News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Donations to the wiki

Started by Gryzor, 16:54, 22 January 12

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Maybe, if they do it manually though, not through the automated system unfortunately. I'll add a note...

ukmarkh

I'm unfortunately faced with the threat of redundancy at the moment, so I'm afraid I won't be able to help just yet. This is probably the most visited site I browse on the net. Rest assured I will donate at some stage.

Just to let you guys know, my divorce is official now  :-\  They say it comes in three's:

1. Divorce
2. Redundancy
3. ???????????

Gryzor

Redundancy - I'm there.

Don't worry mate, nobody judges anyone, quite the contrary...

I'd say #3 should read: utter freedom ;)

steve

Another site I frequent has an Ebay search box, if anyone buys something from ebay using that search box, the site gets a percentage, maybe Gryzor could investigate that option as an additional means of funding the site.

Gryzor

Hm, interesting indeed, but it's not that simple to become and implement an eBay affiliation program... I doubt rewards would be significant, too, but maybe it'd be worth investigating... Can you tell me which site you saw it on?

ukmarkh

Google Adsense earns me around £20 a month on my Blog...

Gryzor

Quote from: ukmarkh on 19:42, 23 January 12
Google Adsense earns me around £20 a month on my Blog...

Huh, that much? Could you share some stats with me?

ced64k

rexbeng

What the heck? Gryzor, I'm definitely expecting an invitation for drinks in your newly decorated house  :P

rb

ukmarkh

No probs... where should i send a snapshot?

Quote from: Gryzor on 19:44, 23 January 12
Huh, that much? Could you share some stats with me?

Gryzor

@ced64k: received, and much appreciated :)
@rexbeng: why, you're welcome - seriously. I live near Hilton!
@ukmarkh: there's an email icon under my avatar!

Langweil

Listen to AY with RealInstruments: http://blog.kangaroo.cmo.de/?dl_id=701

AMSDOS

Noticed that the poor old Wiki needs some donations before the end of the year. I'll see if I can get a paypal account up and running so I can splash some cash here.  :-X
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

8bitDave

AMSDOS

I'm having Difficulty with PayPal with regard to Donating Funds as a Gift. Seems like no matter what I do, the Money is going to have Fees attached to it  :(  Has anyone else been able to Donate and Mark it as a Gift, or has PayPal changed the Rules so that you cannot Donate as a Gift or is there some kind of limit as to how much you can Donate as a Gift?

Your Computer Programs

CraigsBar

Quote from: Gryzor on 16:54, 22 January 12
Hello guys,

Well, yeah, believe me when I say that I generally hate it when site owners whine about money, so I hope that this announcement doesn't cause any negative feelings.

The fact is, I simply cannot afford the server on my own. The wiki has grown larger than anything we ever thought it would be, and ever since we lost our last donated host (I won't be repeating the details...) we needed to finally find a robust enough host/server and learn to stand on our own feet.
What this means is this: it costs me almost €600/yr now (already paid for the first year), and this is quite heavy for me to bear alone. I don't mind putting long hours into it and thus making what little contribution I can to the community, but this is more than I can pay myself.

I have installed a donations system, to be found either here or through the button just before the Logout option at the top bar menu[nb]Default theme only for now ;) [/nb]. I have set a yearly goal of €500, but anything that anyone can contribute, no matter how little, is much, much appreciated.

So, thanks for listening, and thank in advance to anyone and everyone who considers donating to the Wiki community.

Themis

PS On last thing - if someone could use the system to do a test donation (which will be refunded - even for €1) it'd be really helpful in testing the system... Thanks again.

No Negative feelings at all. Happy christmas, donated again. Well worth the payment for the service and pleasure that the wiki provides, you have built a friendly environment where people can discuss, reminiss and learn about a little,  3rd most popular in the UK,  8 bit machine that came late to the party amd have fun.

I would not have known about Bumpy's Arcade Fantasy, the x-mem, Playcity or a million other things if it were not for the Wiki, thank you and money well spent.

Craig

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Gryzor

First of all, thanks so much to all and each one of you for your donations :) I will update your status soon, but I'm ever grateful!

@AMSDOS , never heard of this issue before, so I'm going to look into it. However, you can just send the donation to me (krakout g mail) and I'll add it manually to the donations registry, if you prefer...

T

PS Ok, I just went to do a test trasnfer and it doesn't add any fees. Weird...? Anyone else seen this? Are you sure you're following the procedure from the Donations page?

Manu

Quote from: AMSDOS on 23:17, 21 December 14
I'm having Difficulty with PayPal with regard to Donating Funds as a Gift. Seems like no matter what I do, the Money is going to have Fees attached to it  :(  Has anyone else been able to Donate and Mark it as a Gift, or has PayPal changed the Rules so that you cannot Donate as a Gift or is there some kind of limit as to how much you can Donate as a Gift?
In order to send as gift with no fees, you have to associate a bank account (besides the credit card) or have some funds saved in the Paypal account.

Gryzor

Huh, never knew that! Thanks, Manu!

AMSDOS

Quote from: Gryzor on 09:16, 22 December 14

@AMSDOS , never heard of this issue before, so I'm going to look into it. However, you can just send the donation to me (krakout g mail) and I'll add it manually to the donations registry, if you prefer...

T

PS Ok, I just went to do a test trasnfer and it doesn't add any fees. Weird...? Anyone else seen this? Are you sure you're following the procedure from the Donations page?

I was following the page from the Donations Link, all seemed well when I saw it now, but earlier when I was going to pay it looked as if it was slugging $2 Aussie Bucks from my Contribution. The Image at the top of the Screen wasn't displaying itself and it appeared as if that page wasn't secure (no padlock on show).

I went to the main page (Paypal.com) and it was saying I had $2 Bucks in the Account - so I sent that $2 dollars to your email address, can you check to see if you've received?

Thanks.

Sorry I'm hardly using this Paypal, so I might be stuffing it up somehow.

I'm in the process of using a Visa Gift Card to contribute that way, if you've got the $2, I can sent some more money.  :D

P.S. I forgot to mention when I was in the main PayPal site, I was able to send money without any other charges by putting it under Goods & Services, otherwise it was going to be 40 cents.

Your Computer Programs

AMSDOS

Quote from: Manu on 09:20, 22 December 14
In order to send as gift with no fees, you have to associate a bank account (besides the credit card) or have some funds saved in the Paypal account.

Huh, I just stated I was paying for Goods & Services and there was no fees. I haven't got my Bank Account Details on there though.

Your Computer Programs

Manu

Quote from: AMSDOS on 09:34, 22 December 14

Huh, I just stated I was paying for Goods & Services and there was no fees. I haven't got my Bank Account Details on there though.
When you are paying for good & services, the one who receives the money pays the fees to Paypal. When you send money as gift and you have money or a bank account, neither pays fees ;)

AMSDOS

Quote from: Manu on 09:38, 22 December 14
When you are paying for good & services, the one who receives the money pays the fees to Paypal. When you send money as gift and you have money or a bank account, neither pays fees ;)

Which I presume would be deducted from the PayPal amount as sent. I've only sent a mere sum of $2 Dollars as a Trial. I'll send More when this other account has sorted itself out (in a day or so).

Your Computer Programs

Manu

Quote from: AMSDOS on 09:44, 22 December 14

Which I presume would be deducted from the PayPal amount as sent. I've only sent a mere sum of $2 Dollars as a Trial. I'll send More when this other account has sorted itself out (in a day or so).
Yes, the receiver get less money. That is also true for donations (and that is a shame).

Gryzor

@AMSDOS : The image at the top that doesn't load is supposed to be the logo of the wiki - let me fix it real quick... Ok, done. The padlock doesn't appear because the Paypal page contains this logo, which is an insecure element (an image from a third-party server, the wiki server). So it's correct, though I wonder if some could think it's a security issue and if it could be rectified... Anyone?

I did get your AUSD2 donation, though the email was different from every other email notification I've received :D And yes, it's withheld AUSD0,40 from the total, so @Manu is correct!