News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Forum behaviour

Started by Devilmarkus, 10:56, 18 November 10

Previous topic - Next topic

Devilmarkus

We want to keep a huge CPC forum alive here.
So it's also important to follow some simple rules.
Some I'll post here. Perhaps you also have suggestions for more.
So we could discuss this here and post the complete Forum-rules.

My points: (Suggestions, but I think you all will agree with me here)

- If there is trouble between 2 or more users, they should resolve their problems via PM or e-mail, because others are not interested in their squabble.

- When you post consider that other people may be using a translation service to understand what you write.So, some things may translate bad, especially slang and some kinds of humour, and this could give the reader the wrong idea.

- Also remember that humour may not translate well to other cultures, even if the translation is good.

Cheers,
The "Underlord" ;)
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

Gryzor

The two last points are very, um, to the point.

However, the first is a problem (always in public forms of communication) because, if for instance you curse at someone, or insult them in some way, it doesn't make much sense for the insulted party to respond in PM: they'll want to do so in public, where the insult was served.

But that's why the mods are there, to try and calm things down and put an end to insults and whatnot.

arnoldemu

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:02, 18 November 10
The two last points are very, um, to the point.

However, the first is a problem (always in public forms of communication) because, if for instance you curse at someone, or insult them in some way, it doesn't make much sense for the insulted party to respond in PM: they'll want to do so in public, where the insult was served.

But that's why the mods are there, to try and calm things down and put an end to insults and whatnot.
I tried to translate it based on Markus's description of the original German post.

Point 1, is more of a continued squabble over many weeks or months or so.
That is how I understand this.

EDIT: Also, it was translated into English too, because Markus's "forum etiquette" post should not single out one particular country or language.

EDIT2: What we all want is a forum where we can go, read about cpc stuff, post about cpc stuff, encourage new people to join in and if they want, contribute their games, demos, utils etc, and help to make forthcomming years, as equally good in terms of releases as this year.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Devilmarkus

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:02, 18 November 10
However,   the first is a problem (always in public forms of communication)   because, if for instance you curse at someone, or insult them in some   way, it doesn't make much sense for the insulted party to respond in PM:   they'll want to do so in public, where the insult was served.

Yes but it's sad that other users already ask me via PM why here are so many postings edited / deleted.
The rules simply should avoid this.
When a user is not the same opinion with another's, he should not be rude in his reply but calm and objective.
When a negative reply is written objectively and without rude comments, there's no reason to edit/delete it.

AMSDOS

My understanding of that is suggesting that Humor should be cut completely.  ??? 

I like the idea that different languages are being applied, since the community incorporates an interest with the Amstrad, makes sense to provide for everyone!  :)
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Devilmarkus

Quote from: CP/M User on 11:21, 18 November 10
My understanding of that is suggesting that Humor should be cut completely.  ???

No!!! sincerly not!
Humor is important but remember some "humorous meant" postings here had the result that at least 1 user was totally pi**ed off....

And the PM-thing for differences:
Nobody (NOBODY) takes care here, when a TPG (The Past Girl) has a war between Lance!
But I am sure everybody is annoyed by forum postings where both write rude phrases against each other, because they want to read facts and no kindergarden crap.

AMSDOS

I mentioned earlier the possibility of a cooler where people can go for being bad for how ever long it takes for them to recover (if it ever happens), which could be invisible to the rest of us. Could something like that ever work on a forum like this, or would it simply clutter up too much junk. I guess the only advantage it has is the garbadge can be cleaned out easier if it were in one spot.

Your Computer Programs

arnoldemu

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Gryzor

Quote from: CP/M User on 11:38, 18 November 10
I mentioned earlier the possibility of a cooler where people can go for being bad for how ever long it takes for them to recover (if it ever happens), which could be invisible to the rest of us. Could something like that ever work on a forum like this, or would it simply clutter up too much junk. I guess the only advantage it has is the garbadge can be cleaned out easier if it were in one spot.

Well, it's called banning :D

fano

[humor] Add an humor tag like code , quote or the recent spoiler  :laugh: [/humor]

PS:yep , French joke are really bad !
"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

AMSDOS

Gryzor wrote:

Well, it's called banning :D

I'm familiar with the concept since I've experienced this myself after becoming obsessed with a certain forum, only for it to become way over my head!  ???

Banning may work in some cases, though the concept of Banning may also lead to hand-balling the problem elsewhere, though it maybe over my head again!  ;)

I like the idea how The Get Along Gang highlights how characters are different, though personal attacks are personal attacks no matter how much you twist it, which still makes it unacceptable!  :(

Your Computer Programs

TFM

Where is my post?

Markus: PM's are a good idea, but if you try to write a PM and the result is just an insult, what can you do?
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

Quote from: CP/M User on 08:31, 19 November 10
I'm familiar with the concept since I've experienced this myself after becoming obsessed with a certain forum, only for it to become way over my head!  ???

Banning may work in some cases, though the concept of Banning may also lead to hand-balling the problem elsewhere, though it maybe over my head again!  ;)

Well, banning has several levels - you can ban a user from posting, or from logging on altogether, or even banning their IP and thus preventing them from reaching the forum in a rudimentary way... The first level (post banning) is like the cooler you suggested...

But in any case, I consider banning to be extreme and the ultimate tool, only to be used when other means have been exhausted and you have to keep things on track...

Phi2x

AMSDOS

Gryzor wrote:

Well, banning has several levels - you can ban a user from posting, or from logging on altogether, or even banning their IP and thus preventing them from reaching the forum in a rudimentary way... The first level (post banning) is like the cooler you suggested...

Amazing as it seems I've done all of that  8)  But the problem I have now is what limits do people set when they consider banning someone. In my case they offered to remove the ban if I was going to be good, but decided against it cause the forum was the issue!  :(  I was banned a couple of times from CPCZone cause of attitude problems, I didn't exactly arrive on their forum in the best of moods! Guess people would get sick when every year the Minigame competition was on, every year I was whinging about it!  ;D 

But in any case, I consider banning to be extreme and the ultimate tool, only to be used when other means have been exhausted and you have to keep things on track...

I guess that means you haven't been send to the cooler and then put on a Permanent Ban then? I should get a medal for that one!  :laugh:

Just occassionally I think my IQ goes below 85 and I decide to do silly things!

Your Computer Programs

Gryzor

I don't remember what had happened in the Zone - it's all vague by now...

Never been banned myself; however, I have abandoned at least one forum that was very dear to me because I saw that what was happening was quite incompatible with my views. And when I saw that there was no point in stirring up trouble and no way in the forum changing, I just picked up my hat and left.

AMSDOS

Gryzor wrote:

I don't remember what had happened in the Zone - it's all vague by now...

Discussing it all now would only amount to stirring the pot!  :-[

Never been banned myself; however, I have abandoned at least one forum that was very dear to me because I saw that what was happening was quite incompatible with my views. And when I saw that there was no point in stirring up trouble and no way in the forum changing, I just picked up my hat and left.

Oh their out there alright, just like what you say, if you don't like the way a forum is being managed by the owners, it's a quick way to suddenly get on their Ban list!

Your Computer Programs

TFM

Quote from: CP/M User on 07:41, 23 November 10
..., if you don't like the way a forum is being managed by the owners, it's a quick way to suddenly get on their Ban list!

I agree totally, this is absolutely possible. But Gryzor spoke out some true words in his previous post too: It's better to pick the hat and leave at the right time. However, since a forum is a composition of a large amount of individuals, it's hard to tell when the time is right... Well, IMHO I think when the posts in a forum bother you more than you have fun with it - then the time is right. But before, it would be a good idea to take a break and do something else for a while.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

redbox

Die division durch sprache ist nicht produktiv.

As   far as I can see, TFM was quite rude, Gryzor over-reacted a bit (but   his reputation proceeds him as he keeps the ship steady very well   99.999% of the time) and it was all over something off-topic...

Maybe time to let it go now?  You can help me with some disassembly if it will distract you  ;)

TFM

Redbox, I don't know how much German you understand. Further I (hope and) don't think that you do this by intention. But please stop tranlating things wrong, because others believe your wrong translations, since they do not speak German. Ask Devilmarkus or whoever for a proper translation, but please stop to pour oil in the fire. Or do you like to create struggles? I seriously hope not!
TFM of FutureSoft

redbox

My German is reasonable.  I studied it until I was 18 and I speak to my German friends often.  So yes, I understand you.

I make a plea for calm and you come back stir things up again.  In English and German. Wow.

Would a better answer not be "Yes, I am big enough to move on. Let's talk about CPCs"?  :-X

Gryzor

Redbox, although I disagree with your 'over-reacted' bit, I don't have a problem because this is what a civilised response and discussion should be like, so thank you indeed - cool heads are always in need.

And, TFM, I can't for the life of it see what you suppose he took wrong...

TFM

Ok guys, happy Thanksgiving. Let's move on to something more productive  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

AMSDOS

Only just noticed a few months had passed and was wondering if those 3 rules in the original post are the official rules for the forum?

I'm confused with regard to this rule:

Quote- If there is trouble between 2 or more users, they should resolve their problems via PM or e-mail, because others are not interested in their squabble.

which followed Gryzor's responce:

QuoteHowever, the first is a problem (always in public forms of communication) because, if for instance you curse at someone, or insult them in some way, it doesn't make much sense for the insulted party to respond in PM: they'll want to do so in public, where the insult was served.

followed by markus' response:

QuoteYes but it's sad that other users already ask me via PM why here are so many postings edited / deleted.
The rules simply should avoid this.
When a user is not the same opinion with another's, he should not be rude in his reply but calm and objective.
When a negative reply is written objectively and without rude comments, there's no reason to edit/delete it.

So I'm assuming that if there's serious trouble On (in the Forum) or Off (via PMs or Email) the board, though was sent via the board, that something can be done to eliminate the issue, if a serious altercation took place.

Your Computer Programs

sigh

Arguments should be settled with "Way of the exploding fist".