News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Forum installation and loss of functionality

Started by Gryzor, 12:08, 20 September 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

...but you didn't specify what lead to this...

Audronic

@Gryzor

" This is during a Post of a PM to a Member "

As i was Posting it with a correct Name and Subject it Fell over and i lost the whole lot ?.
So i took a picture of what was left ??

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Gryzor

Yeah, but "falling over" is hardly a technical term and offers me absolutely no clue as to what happened.

Audronic

Crashed.
Back to the Photo  that i sent
Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Gryzor

*sigh*

WHAT crashed? HOW? WHAT message did you get? WHEN exactly?

Audronic

No Message.

The screen waited a while and the content in the photo came on my screen.

Thats it !

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,

Audronic

Would it be Possible to put a link to the "Wiki" Please.
Ray
Procrastinators Unite,

Arnaud

Would it be possible to have Pages [1][...] in Recent Post/topics in order to have older history than last ten posts.

Thanks.

Gryzor

@Audronic : not possible at the moment, maybe I'll take a look later on.

@Arnaud : I guess you mean in the portal? I'm afraid not.The portal is supposed to be an intro to the forum, not possible to cram all the info there...

MaV

So, I gotta say I like the portal. But there are a few things that can be improved.

- as others have mentioned, the Recent Posts tile on the right side is redundant. You could probably place the Search tile there, so it is more prominent.
- I'd prefer the Board Stats and Top Posters tile to go. I don't see the point of having them here.
- I'm not sure what the Calendar tile does. Some dates are fat, but clicking on them seemingly does nothing.
- Top Topics could be placed a little higher to be more effective.

Also, if I had my way, I'd place a Pillory tile at the topmost, so that people could throw shit at those who have a proven track record of being troublesome. But that's just my lesser noble me. :D

Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

Audronic

@Gryzor

There are 2 Areas that say :-
Recent Posts And Recent Posts/Topics
The Topics are not accessible ?.
Please put a "Topics" in the Recent posts/Topic Place.
Thanks    Ray
Procrastinators Unite,

Gryzor

Recent Posts and Recent Posts/Topics are very similar, with a couple of differences. Topics are accessible alright, once they're created, no idea what more you could want...?

AMSDOS

[attachimg=1]

If it's not too much bother, could the little Like Icon make a comeback?

It's a little bit confusing having an Icon with Question Mark as shown as how I see it.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Gryzor

Oh yes, good catch, had forgotten about it.

Skunkfish

Recent topic visibility seems quite poor now. It used to be over multiple pages so I could easily catch-up on topics after a couple of days away.

The best way seems to be at the bottom of the forum page but it's still limited to 10 (I think?) topics.
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

mr_lou

Quote from: Skunkfish on 18:50, 04 October 16
Recent topic visibility seems quite poor now. It used to be over multiple pages so I could easily catch-up on topics after a couple of days away.

Agreed. Bring back the recent topics overview. Impossible to keep track of anything at the moment.

SOS

Yes, it should be like in a newspaper - the most recent at the top, not buried somewhere below.

Gryzor

Perhaps you should tell me where you mean... the Portal or the Forum homepage?

Because if it's about the forum homepage, it's not going to happen, as discussed in this very thread - it messes with Tapatalk

And, I'm asking once again - why don't people use "Unread " to see what's new? What's the advantage of the recent posts on the homepage?

Skunkfish

Ah, unread does do it! Thanks Gryzor!  ;D
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

Gryzor

mr_lou

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:06, 05 October 16And, I'm asking once again - why don't people use "Unread " to see what's new? What's the advantage of the recent posts on the homepage?

Being used to the overview on the front page, we forget other options. I've changed my bookmark to the Unread overview now, which is almost equally good. The advantage of the recent posts is that you keep seeing recent posts regardless of having read those posts or not. But I can live with the unread overview.

Gryzor

Ah, I see, though the Unread tab was there before the Recents block; but I understand.

I still don't understand, though, what use is it to be able to see recent posts you've already read?

1024MAK

Quote from: Gryzor on 12:13, 05 October 16I still don't understand, though, what use is it to be able to see recent posts you've already read?
Three things:

• It enables you to quickly see if a thread you are interested in has not yet been replied to,
  • They can act as place holders / reminders on how far you got when intermittently accessing the forum. It's easier for my eye to pick these out rather than reading the subject line of each thread with new posts,
  • It feels good to see the colours of the threads change as you work your way through reading them, you get a sense of achievement.
Mark
Looking forward to summer in Somerset :-)

Gryzor

So, for the OCDs among us :D

I don't know what the benefit of seeing a thread I'm interested in has NOT been replied to; if it's not in the Unread lists then surely it hasn't been answered?

mr_lou

And why the hell would anyone eat vanilla ice cream when there's chocolate icecream available!?  ;)