News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Forum: spurious notification of new private message

Started by cpcitor, 16:53, 19 December 17

Previous topic - Next topic

cpcitor

Hello.

For weeks (perhaps months?), every time I open a browser and go to cpcwiki forum, after I login I get a popup that says:

QuoteYou have received one or more new personal messages.
Would you like to open a new window to view them?

... even when I have no new message.
This used to happen only when I actually have a new personal message.

Regular notifications (for forum messages and likes) do work as they always did.

Has any other user experiences something similar?
Can a forum master investigate?
Had a CPC since 1985, currently software dev professional, including embedded systems.

I made in 2013 the first CPC cross-dev environment that auto-installs C compiler and tools: cpc-dev-tool-chain: a portable toolchain for C/ASM development targetting CPC, later forked into CPCTelera.

Bryce

Have you tried deleting your browser cache?

Bryce.

cpcitor

Just did: clear browser cache, logout, close window, open new window, login -> problem reproduced.

Had a CPC since 1985, currently software dev professional, including embedded systems.

I made in 2013 the first CPC cross-dev environment that auto-installs C compiler and tools: cpc-dev-tool-chain: a portable toolchain for C/ASM development targetting CPC, later forked into CPCTelera.

cpcitor

Also tried in a private browsing window. Same result.

Browser is Firefox 57.0.1 (Ubuntu 16.04 AMD64).
Problem was present before Firefox 57 (I write this because release 57 is a major update but not the cause).

MacDeath

Are you running under SymbOS or FutureOS ?

SymbOS is fancier but also notorious for catching every malware imaginable due to its multi-platform nature while the quite capable FutureOS doesn't seem to catch any cold-ware ever.

:D

cpcitor

Quote from: MacDeath on 23:49, 21 December 17
Are you running under SymbOS or FutureOS ?

SymbOS is fancier but also notorious for catching every malware imaginable due to its multi-platform nature while the quite capable FutureOS doesn't seem to catch any cold-ware ever.

:D

I use no OS that tends to catch malware, so it's not probably SymbOS.  :)
My main OS is said to be multi-platform, so it's not FutureOS either?  :-\

So, it also can't be this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9pLLWg85_A

Back to practical matters.  Problem reproduced on Android browser.
I guess it has nothing to do with client OS used.

Perhaps a wrong value in some unread message counter, server side?
Clearing a cache server side might fix?

GeoffB17

Please note that I have NEVER had this problem, or never noticed it.

I get the message fine when there IS a new PM.   But never when there isn't!

Geoff

Dagger

Nobody else seems to be reporting this problem
Life's a bitch. You marry one or two then you die !

mr_lou

I'm seeing an issue that might be related though.

Threads keep being marked as "New", despite having clicked them plenty of times.

Bryce

Quote from: mr_lou on 08:40, 23 December 17
I'm seeing an issue that might be related though.

Threads keep being marked as "New", despite having clicked them plenty of times.
I've started getting this too recently.

Bryce.

Gesendet von meinem Motorola DynaTAC 8000x mit Tapatalk

robcfg

Gryzor

Unread Message Count is a known bug that crops up every now and then in SMF fora. After I post this I will run some maintenance tasks that will hopefully mark all your messages as read.

As for the "new" threads... haven't seen that, so I can't comment.

cpcitor

Quote from: Gryzor on 17:16, 26 December 17
Unread Message Count is a known bug that crops up every now and then in SMF fora. After I post this I will run some maintenance tasks that will hopefully mark all your messages as read.

As for the "new" threads... haven't seen that, so I can't comment.

Thank you. So far the problem still happens (on Firefox and Android).

Gryzor

cpcitor

Quote from: Gryzor on 20:01, 28 December 17
*Which* problem, tho?

Topic subject: no new private message but popup appears on each login, invites to open new window.

Gryzor

Wanna send me your password so I can login with your credentials?