News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

German characters in the wiki

Started by Gryzor, 17:44, 14 August 11

Previous topic - Next topic

Morn

Quote from: MacDeath on 16:35, 18 August 11
Well, why can't you just SS like the rest of the world....

Oh yeah, last time Germany used the SS, it didn't ended that well.

Ok, I guess the post-war germany imposed the use of the ß because all Nazi related stuff was forbiden so Waffen-ß was more politicaly correct then waffen-SS...
;D

And on a more serious and linguistic note: The "ß" character actually evolved from "sz", not "ss"! (That why it's called "Ess-Zett" in German.) So it's a bit strange modern German uses "ss" for the "ß" character when substituting...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%9F

Martin

MacDeath

QuoteWe simply need our umlauts because they are officially cool
Yeah, I almöst förgöt äböut thëm töö.

Do they bug too ?

Anyway, ümläüt (Trema in french) are not that exotic because we have them on azerty french Keyboards...

Quite strange as they are quite reraly used in France but official anyway...

Aigüe : sharp
Haï : hated...

QuoteAnd on a more serious and linguistic note: The "ß" character actually evolved from "sz", not "ss"! (That why it's called "Ess-Zett" in German.) So it's a bit strange modern German uses "ss" for the "ß" character when substituting...
Because you don't want your language to look like Slavic language...

MaV

Quote from: MacDeath on 17:57, 18 August 11
Quite strange as they are quite reraly used in France but official anyway...

Aigüe : sharp
Haï : hated...
Because you don't want your language to look like Slavic language...

Name one slavic language which contains those characters. ;)

I guess in France it's more related to fashion. If it's not en vogue, the characters are less likely written. :P

On the other hand, how about a spelling reform. Leave the characters that are not spelt out of the text and insert the German vowels as substitute for the French ones:

Je ne sais pas. -> Jö ne sä pa. :D

To be honest, it's not my idea. It's inspired by the French text of the Brütal Legend game. When you're offered to play with or without excessive blood shown, the French text reads: "Je veux dü sangue." I've just taken it to an extreme.
Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

Bryce

Motörhead isn't the same without an Umlaut :(

@MacDeath: The french aren't much better, or how would you spell the word for "Heart" in french on an English keyboard?

Bryce. 

MacDeath

coeur...
why bother with the O and E being soldered... ::)

anyway the French AZERTY keyboard is quite notorious for being shitty IMO.

I mean we have é, è, ç, à, ù... but i would rather have prefered somme key to add those accents to any letters just like the ^ and ¨... or even ~ as in ê, ï and ñ.

I found the spanish keyboard very well implemented, the only issue being the Ñ key... :(
but otherwise the accents are more logical than with french keyboard...

QuoteName one slavic language which contains those characters.
I guess the Polish does... they have perhaps one of the most complete alphabet, despite lots of dual or tripple letters sounds...

Anyway, Brütal Lëgend is fär fröm being originäl gäme... (this must be odd to you german speackers...) :P

I would suggest to reuse the Renegade engine, but get it with real use of the 128K RAM + multiloadings...

And a PLUS 512K Cartridge version  with added scrollings, DMA samples and HardSprites special effects...(+raster for the HUD...) ;)

Bryce

I don't mind the French CPC Plus keyboard except for one major thing:

WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND THOUGHT IT WAS A GOOD IDEA TO REVERSE THE NUMMERIC KEYS AT THE TOP SO THAT YOU HAVE TO PRESS SHIFT TO GET THE NUMBERS!!! No other keyboard does this, not even other french keyboards as far as I know.

Can someone edit the ROM for me so that it works the other way around (as it should).

Bryce.

MacDeath

I agree.

But you can still use the numkey pad.

Gryzor

I think it was some drunk developer; when they found out it was too late, the code for the chips had entered production in Hong Kong and so they just printed the keys thus.

nurgle

To get back on topic: I just upgraded MediaWiki to 1.17 and the upgrade script picked up whatever setting changed from the old to the new server. Umlaute-URLs are now working just fine (at least for me). Please report any bugs you still find.

redbox

Quote from: Bryce on 08:30, 19 August 11
Can someone edit the ROM for me so that it works the other way around (as it should).

Your wish is my command.

BIN and CPR for Plus (patched so no f1/f2 menu), AZERTY keyboard with characters on keys 1-0 inverted: