News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Have your say on the Wiki!

Started by Gryzor, 08:18, 22 September 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

There's really no 'regulations' for those pages, you can do whatever you want (short of insulting others of course)! :)

Gryzor

...and the plain facepalm::doh: :doh:

Can I get a like? :)

Bryce

Cool. It might even be my most used icon from now on :D  :picard:

Bryce.

TFM

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:18, 22 September 15
I was thinking, however, that maybe it's time to change things a bit, or maybe add more. This is where I'd like your input. Please let me know if you have any ideas about what you'd like to see implemented or changed, no matter how small or crazy it might sound. Criticism also welcome.

Criticism is welcome? Really? Ok, hope you can take it.

Wiki itself:
- The CPCWiki itself is imho very well organized
- It's articles have usually high quality

Forum:
- It's good to have sticky topics to enhance important things
- Moderation is catastrophic, because it is totally biased, depends on personal likes and dislikes. People get all the time threatened to get banned. It's like in one of these countries, one just doesn't want to life. But it's paradise if the Moderator likes you.
- The number of members is just amazingly high
- Also the international team work has a solid base here

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

arnoldemu

We have facepalms now. Which is nice.

Are they recorded against our user similar to the likes?
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Gryzor

Quote from: arnoldemu on 08:54, 23 September 15
We have facepalms now. Which is nice.

Are they recorded against our user similar to the likes?

Hm, there's an idea :D But no, they're not.

AMSDOS

* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

seanb

How about an option to delete a post you've made in error.

And if anyone dares facepalm my suggestion...
Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!

Bryce

Quote from: seanb on 11:55, 23 September 15
How about an option to delete a post you've made in error.

And if anyone dares facepalm my suggestion...

The reason why this (and many other) Forums don't allow deleting is because it tends to get abused. People delete more than just posts made in error, especially when arguments are involved.

Bryce.

CPC_Fan

I'm quite happy with the forum as it is myself, but then I'm no expert. Like the face palm emoticons by the way  :)

reidrac

I don't have suggestions for the forum myself and so far I haven't contributed anything to the wiki so I can't really tell.

Just keep it working like it is :)
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

TFM

Quote from: Bryce on 12:28, 23 September 15
The reason why this (and many other) Forums don't allow deleting is because it tends to get abused. People delete more than just posts made in error, especially when arguments are involved.

Bryce.

It's not about somebody others post! But everybody should have the right to delete the _own_ post. Now as we know we can alter a post anyway. So instead of deleting a post it just stays there contains something like "Ignore this post please" and looks ugly.

Yes, deletion would be great!

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

@reidrac , @CPC_Fan , no experience or contributions needed really, just ideas :)

Posts will NOT be allowed to be deleted for the reasons Bryce pointed out. There's a good and established reason for it, and indeed when it was allowed it was abused. Yes, allowing editing posts somewhat negates the lack of permission, but at least we know when someone has edited posts so things make more sense.

AMSDOS

You mean someone would start a flame and then delete it?

Forums I knew that have a Delete option, was only available to the poster for a short period of time, because of it being a posted by mistake.
But I think in some Forums if you Delete a post, it doesn't get deleted and will go to the Moderator team for review, if they don't like what they see, they can sort it out.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Gryzor

This is how it works more or less now - people have been reporting their own (usually double) posts, we review them and delete them.

And yes, deletion was removed when people used it to delete their flame posts.

Singaja

I was rethinking my idea of collecting posts on some topic and I do believe if threads would be tagged (maybe automatically based on occurring keywords + manually of course) it could greatly aid the process for a hypothetical wiki-bot (or maybe not a wiki-bot , but some kind of rss-like bot?)

Gryzor

Not very practical I think...

Automatic tagging - I tried that for a while, but it was far from perfect; and users don't really bother to do it manually :D

Then you'd need to assign the same tags to wiki articles, and finally you'd need to create a bot and a cron job to crawl the database and pull the content to them. Too much room for error, though it'd be a great idea if it could work :(

seanb

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:54, 24 September 15
This is how it works more or less now - people have been reporting their own (usually double) posts, we review them and delete them.

And yes, deletion was removed when people used it to delete their flame posts.

This is one of the more better behaved forums.
I can't believe people used to make flame post or mess around.

Never thought of reporting my post to have it deleted.
I only brought it up because I had a post last week I made in error but couldn't delete.
Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!

Gryzor

Quote from: seanb on 11:30, 24 September 15

This is one of the more better behaved forums.
I can't believe people used to make flame post or mess around.

Never thought of reporting my post to have it deleted.
I only brought it up because I had a post last week I made in error but couldn't delete.

Thanks. Yes, things are generally pretty quiet, and people get along nicely. We did have our share of flame wars though, it's unavoidable when people come together...

Yeah, reporting your own post is not what first comes to mind, and certainly unorthodox, but it works :) In other cases people just edit their posts to "please delete" and we take care of these when we come upon them, either is fine.

remax

Quote from: Gryzor on 12:54, 22 September 15
...and the plain facepalm: :doh:

Can I get a like? :)

I have one with a more IPB feeling if you want :
Brain Radioactivity

Gryzor

Quote from: remax on 14:55, 24 September 15
I have one with a more IPB feeling if you want :
No idea what it's supposed to mean, but if people want it, sure I guess!

Sent from my Amstrad CPC464 using Tapatalk

remax

Quote from: Gryzor on 15:20, 24 September 15
No idea what it's supposed to mean, but if people want it, sure I guess!

Sent from my Amstrad CPC464 using Tapatalk

IPB icons :

Invisionpower Boards were the firsts to make some classer smileys with a distinctive look. Most of the smileys you use here are IPB style smileys. If you want harmony, you can use mine...
Brain Radioactivity

Gryzor

Oh, I know about IPB, I was talking about the specific smiley :)

remax

Quote from: Gryzor on 17:05, 24 September 15
Oh, I know about IPB, I was talking about the specific smiley :)

Ah...  :o

Oh...  ???

Well...  :-X

It's just an animated Facepalm...
Brain Radioactivity

Gryzor