News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Portal

Started by Gryzor, 08:18, 01 October 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Like the new Portal homepage?

Yes
95 (58.6%)
No
46 (28.4%)
Needs customisation
21 (13%)

Total Members Voted: 161

Piotr

New portal , old issues ,

Gryzor

Sooo... looking for features to trim from the forum. Would people mind if I removed the Portal landing page?

tjohnson

Quote from: Gryzor on 19:25, 19 November 17
Sooo... looking for features to trim from the forum. Would people mind if I removed the Portal landing page?

Is that the page you get when you press home?  I don't tend to use that page tbh.  I notice the new posts have disappeared from the bottom of http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/forum/ but it is still available at home.  I liked that feature as I could just see what was posted.

khaz

can the wiki main page and forum portal be merged somehow? It would be nice to have a common page that has both wiki news and forum news. I don't think there is a direct link from the forum to the wiki, I always go to the address bar to go from the forum to the wiki.

Gryzor

If we remove the Portal the Recent Posts could be moved back to the forum homepage.

Concerning a 'common home page', what would that include? Technically it could be done, if someone is willing to create it (at that point it'd just be a web page incorporating items from both, bot the simplest thing but not impossible), but what would it contain and what would be its purpose?

khaz

How I see it:

- "home" and the logo on the forum pages link to the wiki main page
- under the CPC news section, a section with the 5 or 10 most recently created threads
- If a user is connected, have their last 10 unreads below that, with a link to the full list and the option to flush (the last 10 and all)
- have the alert widget somewhere too.

All in all, trying to keep it lean. Work could be done on the forum side to have more links to the wiki as well.

The goal is to have a deeper integration of the forum and the wiki. Right now it feels like two different sites. With the newest threads, along with the curated "cpc related news" section, it should feel like "the" place to go to get Amstrad news and information.

Gryzor

-I can insert a link for the main wiki to the top, no problem. In fact I was looking at it yesterday, by coincidence.
-You mean in the wiki?
-Again, on the wiki?
-a bit too much :D

But, indeed, they *are* two different sites. They run on two separate platforms - one is mediawiki, the other is SMF. SMF does allow for parts of it to be pulled/queried from 'outside', I think, so that's pretty easy to do. However, actually incorporating those parts into a mediawiki page... that's a whole different package. If anyone feels like trying their hand at it, I'll be pleased to help, but I won't be doing it myself, I'm afraid...

khaz

Yeah, on the wiki. Remove the portal and have the wiki main page as the home page for everything. The wiki main page is a good home page, and could probably benefit from being a bit more "lively".

Gryzor

In that, you're not wrong. However, incorporating the html needed to pull blocks from the forum is probably beyond my capabilities. I think I tried that once in the past and failed, because Mediawiki doesn't like (for obvious security reasons) html snippets running rampant on its pages.

dxs

I think a most recently updated threads list is useful.
Just my 0.02...

Gryzor

Portal has now been disabled. I want to check some things regarding performance, in a while we can start adding features back.

Bryce

Quote from: Gryzor on 12:37, 21 November 17
Portal has now been disabled. I want to check some things regarding performance, in a while we can start adding features back.

As usual, the important stuff is hidden in the small-print.

Bryce.

Gryzor

I am a fan of transparency: