News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Batman Forever

Started by villain, 20:30, 20 March 11

Previous topic - Next topic

AMSDOS

Quote from: TFM/FS on 18:42, 05 May 11

I agree totally!!!

Ditto, they can dribble on my weird and unorthodox routines or just wait until a Guest Ghost posts an Untitled Thread instead!  ;D
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

spybro

Quote from: ssg on 21:11, 05 May 11

and enter the debate "realtime vs precalc" there. Realtimers say "that effect is only for show", while precalc'ers say "that's exactly true".

if the debate was on that axis it would have been a healthy confrontation
instead what we've seen was some holy cows (especially in another cpc gathering place)
taking up on Batman Group
the main coder Rhino was in predicament and had to go open on his approach of coding
just to explain that its not about highend technics but also presentation
Lets be realistic Rhino comes from the Amiga family so it is natural that he has his way with demomaking
on the other hand most cpc demos until recent years looked like previews only few made it over to the other side with the help of the boatman eg Sappy

But what makes a good demo?
Is it the technics it is using?Of course!(from scratch)
Is it the music?Of course!Remember Jesus on E's?
Is it the concept story?Of course!Desert Dreams
Is it the artistic design?Hell yes! State of the Art

Now if you have all these you have a huge Wow factor

If you have some of these then its only mediocre

So having the mentioned elements in your armory
will get you a 288 score on pouet

Coming back on the so called debate(it was a cannibalism for me) only led to the departure of a unique
demomaker/presentation producer from the family orientated scene of cpc

as voxfreak wrote somewhere else
Thank you Batman Group for bringing pure innovation to our scene! Respect

MaV

Quote from: spybro on 10:27, 06 May 11
Coming back on the so called debate(it was a cannibalism for me) only led to the departure of a unique

as voxfreak wrote somewhere else
Thank you Batman Group for bringing pure innovation to our scene! Respect

One technical aspect that even C64 users in other forums did praise was the mode 2 screen where the text is written with pixel waves.

This could have been realized on a C64 as well (albeit with lower resolution and probably less pixels), it is the idea itself that was new to the 8-bit scene.

The demo has more merits, but the discussion unfortunately sticks to bland debates of coding techniques.

What's left to say?

Thank you Batman Group for bringing pure innovation to us Amstrad users! :)

MaV

Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

HAL6128

But what makes a good demo?
Is it the technics it is using?Of course!(from scratch)
Is it the music?Of course!Remember Jesus on E's?
Is it the concept story?Of course!Desert Dreams
Is it the artistic design?Hell yes! State of the Art

... as TFM said: it's like watching a movie. You want to be "entertained" or at least you expect it. If all criterias are "good" (for a certain kind of subjective estimation) then the demo is "good". An extended criteria for a GAME apart the criterias above could be e.g. "how good a real personen is embedded into the game".

It's difficult to talk about those criterias if there is no consistent understanding what we are talking about. It's easier to say: "The technics for that zoomscrollers have a rating of 9 out of 10 point because it's speed of calculating (fps) has reached 95% of the actual benchmark". It's more difficult to measure a criteria which based on sympathy (like the content of music).

Or for expample: The Demo Batman Forever used pictures (as the author said) from the designer Bob Kane (drawn characters out of the Batman comics). Those influential paintings are for the most people wonderful but should not an component to assess that demo. They are copied or at least adapted ...they has been already good before the demo was created.
Even if the used technics has already been common the Batman demo created something of how to bring lots of single stuff into one demo together (visual technics, discloader, music between, story board and so on). That's what I didn't seen in that quantity/quality before.

But don't waste time in talking - please generate more demos!
Or with the words of a non-coder: I want to be entertained!
(I know... lazy ass I am).
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

Sykobee (Briggsy)

Demos are meant to entertain and wow. Batman Forever entertained and wowed, even if it achieved that my pre-calculating data. The algorithmic interest then turns to the fast on-screen rendering implementation rather than if it's doing the maths to rotate a city or batman logo. Great demo, great that it was made, great to see the CPC put to good use. End of.

trocoloco

Quote from: MaV on 12:42, 06 May 11
Thank you Batman Group for bringing pure innovation to us Amstrad users! :)

Same here!

Gryzor

Why? Who left?

einoeL

Batman Forever is the best CPC-Demo ever.
It really looks like an Amiga-Demo, the music stands out.
This Demo is a masterpiece with a funky flow.
Great entertainment.

Gryzor

jsa

Ummm, what exactly is amiga demo then ? I "just" got home from Streamparty VIII and we had interesting discussion there with old peeps from C64 scene and consensus was that Amiga demos really start to be more or less generic 3D flybys with music. Dunno if that is going to change as getting these accelerators for Amiga is getting harder and thus getting certain demos even running is getting tricky. Not everyone are happy how things are going, but then again it seems to be that C64 scene is more or less still active and there are more stuff coming for old breadbox... almost daily basis.

But let's see what happens in the future anyway, i suspect that more esoteric platforms are used to create demos. So there is still room for CPC as well :)

Optimus

Well, the demo was compared to Amiga 16bit demos not the AGA ones.
The modern amiga demos while not having the style and dynamics of the classic Amiga demos, they might be interesting for 3d coders. Still, I prefer watching some nifty 2d effects in between the 3d scenes.
Yep, the fun is 8bit forever :)

00WReX

Hi guys,
What are you doing/using to get this demo onto your CPC's.

I have a 3.5 inch drive on the CPC but only a USB floppy on my PC so I use writedsk.

This works really well for just about everything I throw at it, but not the Batman demo.

Just noticed that ManageDSK does not like it either...

Any help Appreciated.

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

fgbrain

Here's what I did and it worked fine for me:
(I have an external 3.5" drive as well..)

1 .Downloaded this double sided version:
http://www.cpc-power.com/cpcdemos/pages/download_part.php?fiche=1756&part=Batman%20forever%20%28UK%29%20%28128K%29%20%282011%29%20%5BBatman%20group%5D%20%5BDouble%20Side%20Drive%20Version%5D.dsk
2. Used CPCDiskXP 2.1 to write to a 3.5" disk
3. Then RUN"disc on my 6128 and you're off!!!

Unfortunately, ManageDSK still doesn't support double sided DSKs..
_____

6128 (UK keyboard, Crtc type 0/2), 6128+ (UK keyboard), 3.5" and 5.25" drives, Reset switch and Digiblaster (selfmade), Inicron Romram box, Bryce Megaflash, SVideo & PS/2 mouse, , Magnum Lightgun, X-MEM, X4 Board, C4CPC, Multiface2 X4, RTC X4 and Gotek USB Floppy emulator.

Optimus

Just to notice that BF didn't run in my CPC if the drive is B. Needed an additional switch to see the original 3" as B and the 3.5" as A.
I have only tried to write the three separate DSK sides. Maybe I tried to copy the double sided originally and also had troubles.

TFM

Quote from: Optimus on 22:22, 16 January 12
Just to notice that BF didn't run in my CPC if the drive is B. Needed an additional switch to see the original 3" as B and the 3.5" as A.
I have only tried to write the three separate DSK sides. Maybe I tried to copy the double sided originally and also had troubles.

Hi Optimus :-) If I understand you right, then you did manage to transfer it to 3.5". Now, you can use Discology to transfer it to 3".

This demo seems to be a pain in the aXX for some more users ;-)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Devilmarkus

Well I transferred it once with JavaCPC directly to 3", had no trouble with it...
(But you need a 3" disk drive connected to your PC)
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

Rhino

Hi,

The demo (one disk version) should work from both A and B.
The problems with three disks version come if you have two drives but you do not insert both disks in drives as indicated in the initial message. As arnoldemu said me, this is because after the initial message, it checks if the disks are properly inserted in drives but when some drives are empty the loader does not work more after this checking process and an error message is showed in red.

Then, if you have a double sided drive you can use the one disk version (from A or B) but if you have an external single sided you must insert both disks in drives and you can execute it from B if you want, the only rule is not to have an empty drive when executing the three disks version.

If someone found some other problem, please tell me.

Gryzor

I thought that with USB drives you're out of luck altogether?

Optimus

Well, problem is my 3" drive is not working. I had forgotten an old disk in there but I guess becuase it's not working it couldn't see the disk.

00WReX

Quote from: Gryzor on 12:23, 18 January 12
I thought that with USB drives you're out of luck altogether?

writedsk is fine on a USB floppy (because the conversion is done on the CPC). But I think it struggles with the odd dsk. I have actually only not been able to get The Batman demo working with it out of probably a hundred dsk's.
I think I would need to use CPCdiscXP to get this working, but I don't have an IDE floppy, in fact I don't have a desktop PC at all...I ditched them for laptops years ago, so only a USB floppy for me and these don't work with the true low level floppy driver that CPCdiscXP requires.
Not really a big deal, was just wondering if I was missing something as I would like to see the demo on a real CPC.

Writedsk is really good though for anyone with only a USB floppy...

http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/WriteDSK

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

arnoldemu

Quote from: Optimus on 11:55, 19 January 12
Well, problem is my 3" drive is not working. I had forgotten an old disk in there but I guess becuase it's not working it couldn't see the disk.
How is it not working? What are the symptoms?

The demo tries to read from both drives if they have a disc in them, and decides what discs you have inserted.

btw, when copying to real 3.5" or 3" discs you need to use the special version of cpcdiskxp that is used for orion prime, because the gap length is important on batman forever.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Optimus

Quote from: arnoldemu on 12:39, 21 January 12
How is it not working? What are the symptoms?

The demo tries to read from both drives if they have a disc in them, and decides what discs you have inserted.

btw, when copying to real 3.5" or 3" discs you need to use the special version of cpcdiskxp that is used for orion prime, because the gap length is important on batman forever.

My old 3" drive is not working just because I have left it to oblivion :)
I might just have to change the rubber. I was just bored to at the moment.

I was referring to the explanation from Rhino, that maybe because I didn't have disks to both sides (or really there was a 3" disk inserted but not BF and my drive wouldn't be able to read it anyway) it didn't work. But it worked when I switch the working 3.5" drive to be seen as A.

tastefulmrship

Great respect and huge congratulations to Batman Group for winning 3 awards at the 10th scene.org Awards! Also, big congratulations and respect to all the CPC-Wiki guys who helped Batman Group to create the best oldeskool demo of 2011, the most technical demo of 2011 and the public's choice demo of 2011! Top job!

Amstrad Rises!

MacDeath

QuoteGreat respect and huge congratulations to Batman Group for winning 3 awards at the 10th scene.org Awards! Also, big congratulations and respect to all the CPC-Wiki guys who helped Batman Group to create the best oldeskool demo of 2011, the most technical demo of 2011 and the public's choice demo of 2011!
I would like to personnally dedicate this victory to the French sceners... er... oh wait... nevermind.
;D

Well done España.

Also just a funny thing attached here, extract from Pouët...

lots of prizes with this only Amstrad prod.

Gryzor

God damn that's right. Yeeeeeah!