News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Breaking Baud

Started by ralferoo, 08:55, 20 April 14

Previous topic - Next topic

ralferoo

Quote from: mr_lou on 17:24, 26 April 14
(How about changing your nick in here to Doz, since that is the nick you're using?)
Nah, I'm ralferoo almost everywhere except the demoscene. And that was just because ralferoo didn't sound 1337 enough!  :laugh:

mr_lou

Quote from: ralferoo on 19:18, 29 April 14
Nah, I'm ralferoo almost everywhere except the demoscene. And that was just because ralferoo didn't sound 1337 enough!  :laugh:

You're also doz on IRC... it's easy for little me (and other little people) to get confused.

ralferoo

Quote from: mr_lou on 19:25, 29 April 14
You're also doz on IRC... it's easy for little me (and other little people) to get confused.
Only in the demoscene IRC channels... ;) I'm ralferoo in #cpc on freenode  for instance!

Gryzor

Quote from: ralferoo on 19:11, 29 April 14
I sample the tape every 31us

us...

us....

US....

Here's something for your copy/pasting needs:

μ

ralferoo

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:33, 30 April 14
Here's something for your copy/pasting needs: μ
Heh, it was ME that started that other thread! But anyway, if I'm using Linux, I can type it. If I'm using Windows, I can't so I type us instead.

Gryzor

Just admit it, you feel all warm and cuddly and just want us to be a thing...

Bryce

Quote from: ralferoo on 10:06, 30 April 14
Heh, it was ME that started that other thread! But anyway, if I'm using Linux, I can type it. If I'm using Windows, I can't so I type us instead.

Then fix your Linux! :D Look! Works fine for me: µ

Bryce.

ralferoo

Quote from: Bryce on 13:09, 30 April 14
Then fix your Linux! :D Look! Works fine for me: µ
Fix your parser... ;) It works fine in Linux, just not in Windows!

Bryce

Ah, it's my eyes that need fixing, read your post wrong :D So why doesn't windows support your keyboard?

Bryce.

MacDeath

one of the rare good aspect of azerty keyboard is that it actually features the µ...

but I suppose greek keyboard is even superior in those pesky greek letters... so usefull for math and physics...

TotO

The µ key ?  :-\
The AZERTY keyboard is just the worst thing that came on CPC.
Most keys are not properly mapped. (ex: ç display \, à display @, | display ù) and as I know, there is no µ key, only the char on the key table, like all CPC. (but miss { and } chars, useful for C programming, ...)

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Sykobee (Briggsy)

Yeah, if only the CPC had come with an ALT key as well, and characters mapped appropriately on the keyboard.  Right ctrl would have been nice as well.

I suspect the implementation didn't support any additional modifier keys though.

TFM

Quote from: Sykobee (Briggsy) on 09:57, 01 May 14
Yeah, if only the CPC had come with an ALT key as well, and characters mapped appropriately on the keyboard.  Right ctrl would have been nice as well.
I suspect the implementation didn't support any additional modifier keys though.

You have that with FutureOS  ;)  The keyboard has four levels. All 256 characters are therefore accessible by the keyboard. The trick is to use four levels:
- normal
- with Shift
- with Control
- with Shift & Control - this can be the ALT level. Also you can define every key as "ALT" if you feel like doing this

Sorry for getting offtopic, but currently I'm a lot into keyboard stuff and all so on.
Back to topic...
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Prodatron

Yes, I am a little bit late, but just want to tell you my respect for this great piece of art!
You created a new type of CPC demo style, and this was very impressive. That's a nice bithday present for the 464! It was amazing to watch the live video of the presentation on the Revision party!!
LOL, no problem with the typo, I am proud and glad to be mentioned in your greetings, thank you very much! :)

PS: ...and in SymbOS the COPY key is used for ALT, that was somehow most logical because of its position on the keyboard IMHO  ;D

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

McKlain

"That was awesome! Absolutely Brilliant!" ;D

Starting at 13:58.

Revision 2014 - Compos - Oldskool Demo - YouTube

The video thumbnail is the CRTC logo  ;D

protek

Very nice work with the demo! :)

I actually tried it on tape but I guess I need to adjust my levels or something as it does find the Breaking Baud first block but then just keeps loading as usual instead of starting to play the demo. It's been saved and played with the same data recorder. The level has been set about 75 % of the slider scale.

Executioner

Quote from: Prodatron on 19:28, 02 May 14
I am proud and glad to be mentioned in your greetings, thank you very much! :)

Yeah, me too, thanks.

Carnivius

Me three.  :) 

Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

VincentGR

Just amazing!!!

CraigsBar

Quote from: protek on 05:47, 05 May 14
Very nice work with the demo! :)

I actually tried it on tape but I guess I need to adjust my levels or something as it does find the Breaking Baud first block but then just keeps loading as usual instead of starting to play the demo. It's been saved and played with the same data recorder. The level has been set about 75 % of the slider scale.

I have made a tape copy, and it works perfectly on a CPC 6128. Just waiting for the components before testing it on my plus! ☺
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

protek

Quote from: CraigsBar on 15:54, 09 May 14
I have made a tape copy, and it works perfectly on a CPC 6128. Just waiting for the components before testing it on my plus! ☺
What software did you use to play back the file to the recorder? Did you use the same recorder for saving and loading? What was your recording level?

CraigsBar

Quote from: protek on 12:28, 12 May 14
What software did you use to play back the file to the recorder? Did you use the same recorder for saving and loading? What was your recording level?

I recorded it on the same recorder as I use on the CPC yes.

A very low tech solution...

1. Set default output on the Mac Pro to the headphone socket
2. Connect mono voice recorder and set playback volume to about 75%
3. Playback the WAV with vlc and NO FILTERS and record it from the headphone socket via a short headphone to headphone patch cable.

If you want a copy, send me a tape and I'll make another and post it to you.

I am a bit short on tapes myself!

Regards
Craig.

VincentGR

I used to do the hard way too with volume controls etc. Lately I discovered an old CD-Tape player in my closet  ;D
Well the procedure is simple, cdt2wav and burn to a cd on my pc. Then I record the cd to the tape no matter the volume is. A bit lucky...

protek

I used WinTZX to output the .cdt to wav and played that through the headphone output of my laptop directly to the Philips NMS-1515 datacorder. I then connected the Philips into my Amstrad for playback. The input level of the Philips was around 75% but didn't check what kind of signal the laptop was actually pushing out from the headphone jack.

CraigsBar

i am now a VERY Happy person...

After about 21 years since AA Published the Schematics for the Tape mod on a 6128+ I have finally done it, and all because of Breaking Baud.

I can report that the Mod works fine, my soldering skills are not totally useless afterall. remote works and i found a nice clicky relay - way louder than I remember my long since defunct CPC 464 being  ;D

And Breaking Baud is even more awesome on a 6128+, The sound track is incredibly good on the stereo monitor with a nice bassline to match the mood of the images.

I love it, and have to thank all involved in this demo for finally making me get the Plus Tape mod complete.

As I bought the components on Ebay from china in packs of 5, 10 or 100 I can now make up some spare Plus Upgrade kits if anyone is interested?  ;)

Regard

Craig.