News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu
T

For rexbeng -- Battle-oh Squad-Ah-Rhon Intro/Title Music on CPC

Started by tastefulmrship, 23:48, 15 September 13

Previous topic - Next topic

tastefulmrship

I really haven't had time to look at this any more than I had a few weeks ago... so here's my version of BATTLE SQUADRON INTRO/TITLE as it is at present. If I get any time in the future, then I'll update it properly.

As a bonus (of sorts), I've also dumped my HIGHSCORE conversion on the disc, too!

EDIT: Extra credits:
Original title tune arrangement by Reed/Fairlight (8-channel .xm format).
Original highscore tune arrangement by Okeanos/Nuance (10-channel .it format).

Both tunes sound a little weird in WinAPE due to the massive difference between volumes "E" and "F" (I keep meaning to convert tunes without resorting to FULL VOLUME, but it's too easy to do and I can't be arsed messing around) therefore please listen in CPCe, JavaCPC or real hardware!

The title screen image is 160x256x16 and so dumped onto an overscan screen... wasting a good 14k or so, but there you go!

rexbeng

TomEtJerry

Really nice highscore title. I am not fan of the main themis, but that's not a conversion problem, only the original tune :-).

Gryzor

Just what my girl wanted to listen to just as she came back late from work :D

Lovely!

MacDeath

gerald

Token

WOW!!
That pic looks amazing, really close to the Amiga!
Excellent conversion of the tunes. Also I'm a fetish for Hybris ;)

tastefulmrship

Quote from: Token on 04:42, 21 January 14
Also I'm a fetish for Hybris ;)
I couldn't find a lot of HYBRIS resources (and I can't find my FC13 .adf), so here's a very VERY short ingame tune and the HYBRIS loader screen.
The tune was converted to .mod by Estrayk/Paradox and to .sks by SuTeKH/Epyteor using STArkos1.2 & Arkos1.0.

(It's in .cdt format 'cos I had trouble with the tape version of my SPY VS SPY rework and thought I'd see if it was a fault with my code or something to do with the .cdt build. This has been tested on WinAPE.)

Gryzor

Carnivius

:o
Only just seen this.  Battle Squadron is one of my all time fave shooters (still often play it on WinUAE and I even somewhat tolerate the touchscreen on my phone just to play the more recent mobile version) and I LOVE the music to it.  I'd love it more if the in-game tune was in there as well but this is just so cool hearing that classic theme redone in CPC style and it works very well.

The loading image of the Amiga game looks great here too. 

Real nice job.  :)

I just remembered that one of my early attempts at spriting on CPC once I got actual decent spriting software was of the player ships from Battle Squadron cos at the time I wished there was a CPC version so I wouldn't have to keep going round my friend's place to play his Amiga.  But then I got an A1200 so I didn't have to (though sometimes I did anyways cos it's awesome in 2 player).
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

tastefulmrship

Quote from: Token on 13:17, 23 February 14
Sweet! Thanks  8)
You're welcome.

Quote from: Carnivac on 13:28, 23 February 14
Only just seen this.  Battle Squadron is one of my all time fave shooters (still often play it on WinUAE and I even somewhat tolerate the touchscreen on my phone just to play the more recent mobile version) and I LOVE the music to it.  I'd love it more if the in-game tune was in there as well but this is just so cool hearing that classic theme redone in CPC style and it works very well.
There's a 3 tune version of this in the Game ROM thread (before it was abandoned due to trolling). However, I'll post the working disk here; the working files are hidden, leaving just the executable.

All I need now is to find a version of the "completed" music and the soundtrack would be... er... complete!

Carnivius

Yay!  Thanks! 

Good times.  I can recall walking about in school in a sort of happy strutting way whistling that tune.  Which might be a bit weird but yeah happy days of playing Battle Squadron in 2 player during school lunch times cos my best friend lived next door to the school.

This does sure having a good marching beat though.  I may strut some more.
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife