News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Just for laughs

Started by demoniak, 11:52, 30 August 11

Previous topic - Next topic

redbox

Quote from: Executioner on 07:07, 14 September 11
I'm sure we could manage an 8kHz sample in the CPC version if we tried.

Yeah, but using the AY tune adds to the "I like AY better than SID" debate.

And the AY always wins.  ;)

McKlain

Guys, don't kill me but I like both soundchips the same XD

In fact I would like to make some music on the sid, but the current trackers are less than user-friendly.

Executioner

I like the AY tune too. It would be a good challenge to see if it could be done and still manage all the graphics updates in the alternate scan lines. (ie. 7.8kHz sound is one sample every two scan lines). Of course the Plus version would be easy.

McKlain

Thank you guys. To be honest I made it cause I couldn't find a "proper" and faithful 8 bits version on youtube before, just a bunch of fake 8bit tunes made using FL Studio and programs like that with "8bits" sound patches.

Devilmarkus

I once found a funny speech synthesizer.
Nowadays it's old, perhaps Windows 7 users cant open the txt files with it...
(But they can copy-paste the contents of a text file into the editor)

It's easy to produce songs with it...
So perhaps this is helpful to generate a Nyan-Sample?
http://cpc-live.com/speech_song/

I'll attach the program + it's examples here:
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

McKlain

In terms of sound I'm a bit of a purist. I wouldn't use anything that doesn't sound like the original nyan  ;D

Devilmarkus

McKlain

Those lyrics aren't acurate  :P

Devilmarkus

And here you can see McKlain working @ the song:

McKlain

Just trying to get the lyrics right, don't be too hard on me  :P

Gryzor

Did he actually count the "nyan" in it? :D

TFM

Quote from: McKlain on 14:34, 14 September 11
In terms of sound I'm a bit of a purist. I wouldn't use anything that doesn't sound like the original nyan  ;D
Right! I wouldn't have it any other way :-D

If I would have time, I would make a stupid game out of it *hehehehe*

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

tastefulmrship

Quote from: McKlain on 14:34, 14 September 11

Maybe we should have sampled music for the CPC+ 'remastered' version, but the standard CPC version should still have the AY music. It's a brilliant track, it would be a shame to waste it.

Gryzor

I'd love a combination of the lovely YM tune plus the "Nyan" sample. This would be the best IMO...

steve

Can the plus play samples and AY channels at the same time?

redbox

Quote from: steve on 12:51, 15 September 11

Well the normal CPC can do this (e.g. digidrums), but it takes almost all of the frame time.

With the Plus you can use DMA which removes this overhead, but I haven't been able to find any source code examples anywhere.

steve

The AY chip can reproduce 4 bit samples but each channel of samples use an AY sound channel, so whether samples or AY sound, you are limited to 3 channels, (I think), this should also apply to the plus unless it's sample hardware is separate from it's AY hardware.

redbox

Quote from: steve on 13:28, 15 September 11
The AY chip can reproduce 4 bit samples but each channel of samples use an AY sound channel, so whether samples or AY sound, you are limited to 3 channels, (I think), this should also apply to the plus unless it's sample hardware is separate from it's AY hardware.

Well, yes - you can get 8-bit but it would need some seriously tight code.

I thought you were proposing a combination of AY and samples - best way to do this is to have all 3 channels playing AY stuff and then when you want to trigger a sample, do it on one of the channels and cancel the rest of the sound playing on that channel.

It's all possible on Arkos tracker etc and there are even some examples.  The only example I haven't seen is for playing samples via the Plus's DMA - infact, the only sound DMA example I've seen is the test routine from the Arnold V Diagnostic cartridge.

Bryce

The Amdrum / Digiblaster samples don't use the AY at all, so it is possible to have 4 channels using one of these plus the 3 AY channels. But as mentioned above, feeding the samples to the D/A converter uses up almost the entire CPU time.

Bryce.

steve

Quote from: redbox on 13:35, 15 September 11

I thought you were proposing a combination of AY and samples

Not me.....
Quote from: tastefulmrship on 07:11, 15 September 11

Maybe we should have sampled music for the CPC+ 'remastered' version, but the standard CPC version should still have the AY music. It's a brilliant track, it would be a shame to waste it.

Quote from: Gryzor on 12:00, 15 September 11
I'd love a combination of the lovely YM tune plus the "Nyan" sample. This would be the best IMO...

.....I was just asking if it was possible.

redbox

Quote from: steve on 12:51, 15 September 11

Quote from: redbox on 13:35, 15 September 11
I thought you were proposing a combination of AY and samples

Quote from: steve on 13:46, 15 September 11
Not me.....

steve

no Gryzor and tastefulmrship were the origin of my question.

If the plus cannot play samples and 3 sound channels simultaneously without additional hardware , then that is the end of it.

tastefulmrship

Quote from: steve on 15:53, 15 September 11
If the plus cannot play samples and 3 sound channels simultaneously without additional hardware , then that is the end of it.
Ahh! I was under the impression people were considering having 100% sampled music for the CPC+ version and keep McKlain's AY masterpiece for the standard CPC version.

Also... the actual NYAN track fits in 2 channels anyway (and downloadable as piano sheet music); a bass-line and the (a)NYAN tune section. Surely there's no reason why we couldn't have AY bassline & drums over sampled NYAN... but if you're gonna do that, why not have all 3 channels running samples? Hence considering it for the CPC+ rather than standard CPC. And it gives the CPC+ version a different style!

Is anyone actually doing a CPC+ version? I guess that's an important question. If not, this discussion is moot!

McKlain

Somehow I stopped receiving updates on this topic. Bummer  :P

The nyan track is quite simple (drums+bass+nyan voice+a synth also playing the nyan melody in the background). The main problem is reproducing or finding a proper "nyan" sample, as the song avalaible to download in 2 tracks is the first version made with a vocaloid singing, and the later "famous" one is made with a freeware program (a vocaloid clone) called "utau" wich is only avalaible in japanese and is fricking hard to use. The "nyan" sounds quite different on the second version, and a lot more realistic. And is the soul of the song, also.

Another posibility is just cutting the nyan song in a few loops and playing them in order. I think that you can have the full songs in 4 different loops to save space.

Devilmarkus

Quote from: McKlain on 19:45, 15 September 11Somehow I stopped receiving updates on this topic. Bummer  :P

Off-Topic: ShowHide
Yes, me, too, I also don't recieve any forum mails!