News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

ReSet #8 compositions and results.

Started by MacDeath, 15:50, 23 June 12

Previous topic - Next topic

EgoTrip

I remember getting a hard time for listening to computer game music at school cos it wasn't "proper music"

MacDeath

was it a comment from the music teacher of from friend or from yourself ?
Also depends what kind of computer... beeper is not proper.

gotta remember that in the 80's electronic music was quite new, even Krautwerk was considered a UFO*.

*and UFO was a metal band, which wasn't also considered proper music too.

Yet I can't undestand why we had no music on computer stuffs...
Perhaps because in France We had Thomson fucking computers and those had no proper soundchip.

Also because Music teachers were all somewhat retarded with technology.

EgoTrip

It was not a teacher. Anyway who is to judge what is proper music and what is not? Just because its 3 channels of square waves (and noise) does not make it any less musical than something done in a recording studio. A lot of chip tunes are excellent, and full compositions. And just because you dont like music, does not mean its not music, or it is bad, its just not to your taste. If you like to listen to it, then listen to it and dont let other people dictate your tastes. A real music teacher will tell you all of this.

In one of my schools, I remember using BBC's to make music from pre-defined riffs. I still have the riffs burned into my memory.

Gryzor

One of my very first mix tapes, if not the first, was recorded off an Amiga. I especially remember the Last Samurai... I must have melted that tape from listening to it!

tastefulmrship

Quote from: Gryzor on 15:11, 17 July 12
I especially remember the Last Samurai...
For me, I still can't stop listening to loads of Amiga game and demo mods! (I even convert massacre most of them to CPC)
Game wise especially; Second Samurai, Flimbo's Quest, CarVup, Astaroth, Prehistoric Tales, Blood Money, anything by Team 17 (Flossy Brimble), Patrick Phelan (Zool 1 & 2, Lotus 3) and the God that is Chris Huelsbeck (Turrican 2, Apidya being my all-time favourites of all time).

Thank Zod for WinAMP and WinUAE! My playlist is in constant use... (infact it's playing now!)

Gryzor

Ohhh Blood Money, what a hit!

Ah, useless trivia: the other night we were watching A Streetcar Named Desire (what a great movie...). At some point Brando says to Blanche, "Now, how about cutting the rebop?". And for the next ten minutes I couldn't stop thinking where I had heard that quote before!

Finally I remembered. FF to 2:09 :

Bomb The Bass - Megablast [HD]

(and if anyone doesn't know the tune, tsk!) :D

tastefulmrship

On a sad, but related, note; I preferred David Whittaker's arrangement to Bomb The Bass's. The original just doesn't have ANY bass! The Amiga just seemed to have more...

TotO

The original is always the best. :p
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

robcfg

They really did an awesome work remixing the Assault on Precinct 13 Main Theme, hehehe!  ;D

Gryzor

Yeah, ironically the original megablast didn't have lots of bass, but it sounded *awesome* on my ST... strange that the Amiga didn't have the full song!

TFM

Quote from: TotO on 16:22, 18 July 12
The original is always the best. :p
Sure!!!  But .... hmmmm.... maybe there are some CPC conversions of games, which are better than the original (hehehehehe).
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

tastefulmrship

Ok then, Chris Crusher (daXX) has massacred this one to death!

Xenon II Megablast - daXX step 2 dub REMIX
Dubstep Megablast!
ONLY CLICK ON THE VIDEO IF YOU WANT TO DESTROY YOUR ENTIRE CHILDHOOD!

Also, he massacred Commando, too!

daxx - commando daxx dubstep rmx

EDIT: Apologies to daXX for getting his name COMPLETELY wrong!

Gryzor

Actually, I enjoyed both of these remixes; though I though dubstep was more hardcore than this...

McKlain

Quote from: Gryzor on 17:56, 12 August 12
Actually, I enjoyed both of these remixes; though I though dubstep was more hardcore than this...

Blame it on Skrillex...

TotO

Quote from: tastefulmrship on 14:04, 12 August 12
Ok then, Chris Crusher (daXX) has massacred this one to death!
Also, he massacred Commando, too!
Sure. Both "remix" sucks.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

tastefulmrship

Quote from: Gryzor on 17:56, 12 August 12

Well, I just remembered that Infamous did a remix of Cauldron... a little more hardcore than daXX's dubstep styleeeeeeee.

Infamous - Cauldron (Drumstep will chewyour lips off mix)

McKlain

Drumstep? Don't do they get tired of inventing new tags?

By the way, this sounds more like the Dubstep I heard for the first time in 2008 or so, but only in the slow parts, the rest is "jungle" for me. Also I don't like the sound of the main instruments too much.

tastefulmrship

Quote from: McKlain on 18:01, 23 August 12
By the way, this sounds more like the Dubstep I heard for the first time in 2008 or so, but only in the slow parts, the rest is "jungle" for me. Also I don't like the sound of the main instruments too much.
It is an interesting take on the whole "dub" genre, I'll give you that. It reminds me a lot of the late 1990s Eat Static jungle-style, mixed in with commercial dubstep... and mid-80s SID! ^_^

For an example of Eat Static; the single version of Interceptor (nowhere near as good as their album version)

Eat Static - Interceptor (music video)

Well, considering this thread is already well and truly fucked, here's this year's Demo Of The Year 2012. (You heard it here, first!)

Spacecut - Carillon & Cyberiad CNCD (RECAP) | Assembly 2012

Featuring Ercola's much debated (on POUET) soundtrack to some quite stunning visuals!

And as a sequel to Infamous's remix... here's Hazel's dubstep version of Cauldron II

Hazel - Cauldron II (The Witch Who Stepped in Dub)

McKlain

Ah the 90's... a great time for electronica and so so times for metal.

I must admit that "Spacecut" made me drop my jaw to the floor the first time I saw it.

McKlain

Damn, I'm gonna have to try and do some dubstep remix shit  :laugh:

rexbeng

Heh, the CNCD demo I enjoyed, although there's something really wrong in the cube/violin sequence  :P

At least at this year's Assembly we actually learned that the CPC's palette is less garish than the Spectrum's one ;D

rb

EgoTrip

Quote from: McKlain on 18:51, 23 August 12
Damn, I'm gonna have to try and do some dubstep remix shit  :laugh:

Theres way too much shit dubstep already. Make some good dubstep instead. Proper dubstep that is, not brostep shit.

90's was great for rave music. 80's was the era of thrash metal, then late 80's to mid 90's was house/rave music, then mid 90's to present was drum & bass. The early 90's style hardcore and jungle has been making somewhat of a comeback lately too, but with modern production values, the tags they are using now are future / 140 jungle.

McKlain

For my taste Skrillex has killed Dubstep the same as Pendulum "killed" DnB. They have made their genres more "commercial" but then everything sounds the same. Pure cliché. But that may be not a bad thing, as DnB went "underground" again and it's still alive and kicking.

140 jungle? as in 140bpm?

tastefulmrship

Quote from: McKlain on 21:24, 23 August 12
For my taste Skrillex has killed Dubstep the same as Pendulum "killed" DnB.
I fully agree with this statement. Pendulum, pre-"Hold Your Colour", was a really impressive DnB group, but after that they introduced too many rock/commercial style tunes and really went downhill (in my books). I bought "In Silico" but wouldn't touch "Immersion" with a barge pole!

I remember getting a DJ set from my olde housemate and playing this on the way to work one morning... I nearly crashed the car!

Pendulum - Another Planet (HQ)

McKlain

Quote from: tastefulmrship on 06:43, 24 August 12I remember getting a DJ set from my olde housemate and playing this on the way to work one morning... I nearly crashed the car!

Hahaha! tell me about it  :laugh:

I had a cd full of "old" pendulum singles that I used to play on my car on the way to work around 2005-2006. Imagine running on the highway while listening to that. 180Km/h when running down a long slope.

Pendulum - Vault

This one was (and I think that it's still) used as part of the main jingle in dnbradio.com

We should make a separate thread in offtopic to talk about this stuff, by the way ;D