Author Topic: ACE for Haiku  (Read 339 times)

Offline PulkoMandy

• 464 Plus
  • Liked: 253
ACE for Haiku
« on: 00:19, 14 November 17 »
Hi there!

Well, it's been work in progress for some years, but finally here it is, a public release of ACE for Haiku!

ACE is an Amstrad CPC emulator originally written by OffseT for MorphOS. It is very accurate and has a nice GUI and debugging/development features.

Haiku is a free operating system for PC compatible computers.

I ported ACE to Haiku in order to make it possible to use the emulator without the need to buy specific hardware and software licences.

This port is quite complete and comes with a GUI, REXX scripting, and native integration with the OS wherever possible. There are some unfinished or incomplete features, however it is now complete enough for my own use, so I will be waiting for your complains before implementing things. If no one notices the missing stuff, probably I don't need to care.

This is based on version 1.6. I wanted to complete (or mostly) a port of a fixed version first, and then upgrade to new versions later. I will now be trying to get sources for the next versions from OffseT.

Download and installation instructions:

Requirements: any machine running the 32-bit version of Haiku. A recent nightly build is recommended. Alpha4 is too old to run this.

Download from here: http://pulkomandy.tk/drop/ACE%20Haiku%201.6beta3.zip

Installation:
- Unzip anywhere
- Run it!

Extended installation
- It is a good idea to install BeBrexx and iff_catalog (both available in HaikuDepot) to fully enjoy ACE

Usage instructions and notes
The software is still Amiga-ish in some ways. I did my best to integrate it cleanly with Haiku. In particular, the command line uses Amiga-style readargs syntax. I'm sure you can figure it out. It is possible to create links to the executable and add arguments as xattrs to replicate the Amiga icon-file and tooltypes feature. I will provide some samples, but only in a future release (the 1.6 release of ACE on MorphOS didn't provide any).

I'm now waiting for your feedback on this: bugreports, problems getting it to behave the way you want, etc. Feature requests should go to OffseT first, as I'm just copying features from the MorphOS version, unless it is already implemented there.
« Last Edit: 19:30, 15 November 17 by PulkoMandy »

Offline OffseT

• CPC464
    • ACE CPC Emulator
  • Liked: 35
Re: ACE for Haiku
« Reply #1 on: 20:48, 14 November 17 »
Congratulation for this great achievement!

I hope you will soon be able to update this port with a more recent version of ACE. ACE 1.6 is quite old now.
ACE 1.15 should be out soon, and it includes some helpers for portability.

Offline Grim

• CPC6128
  • La pak ba, bèf ka pasé
    • THERE IS NO GAME
  • Liked: 133
« Reply #2 on: 21:00, 14 November 17 »
Wooohoooo! The last few days feel like Christmas!  Awesome! :D
« Last Edit: 21:03, 14 November 17 by Grim »

Offline CloudStrife

• CPC464
    • Shinra Team Website
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #3 on: 21:20, 14 November 17 »
Haiku got it's killer app ! :)

Offline krusty_benediction

• CPC664
  • Liked: 67
« Reply #4 on: 21:44, 14 November 17 »
Marvelous.
Haiku is ultra fast to install (less than 10 minutes to create a virtual machine/download/installation).

However naked installation is not enough libPortManager.so is missing

Offline OffseT

• CPC464
    • ACE CPC Emulator
  • Liked: 35
« Reply #5 on: 22:00, 14 November 17 »
ACE official web site was updated with Haiku port.
All information and download for Haiku will be available directly here from now.

http://ace.cpcscene.net

Offline Grim

• CPC6128
  • La pak ba, bèf ka pasé
    • THERE IS NO GAME
  • Liked: 133
« Reply #6 on: 18:55, 15 November 17 »
However naked installation is not enough libPortManager.so is missing
Same here. Clean install with the latest 32-bit nightly (hrev51543). Get a dialog complaining about libPortManager.so missing. I also could not find BeBrexx nor iff_translator in HaikuDepot (tried the different repositories in pref/repositories).

Offline krusty_benediction

• CPC664
  • Liked: 67
« Reply #7 on: 19:04, 15 November 17 »
Same here. Clean install with the latest 32-bit nightly (hrev51543). Get a dialog complaining about libPortManager.so missing. I also could not find BeBrexx nor iff_translator in HaikuDepot (tried the different repositories in pref/repositories).
On my side, I found the sources of BeBrexx, compiled it; but was unable to install it (I do not remember the error)

Offline PulkoMandy

• 464 Plus
  • Liked: 253
« Reply #8 on: 19:29, 15 November 17 »
All of this is just fresh out of the box, so iff_catalog and bebrexx have not landed in the official depots yet.

You have two options:

1) Switch to the experimental repos for 3rd party packages (recommended, but may break from time to time as packages go into that repo without too much testing):
pkgman add-repo http://eu.hpkg.haiku-os.org/haikuports/master/repository/x86_gcc2/current/
pkgman install iff_catalog_x86 brexx brexx_x86

(you can achieve the same using Preferences->Repositories then Applications->HaikuDepot)

2) Install the packages manually (not tested, but should work in this case):
wget http://eu.hpkg.haiku-os.org/haikuports/master/packages/iff_catalog_x86-0.2-1-x86_gcc2.hpkg
wget http://eu.hpkg.haiku-os.org/haikuports/master/packages/brexx-1.3.2-3-x86_gcc2.hpkg
wget http://eu.hpkg.haiku-os.org/haikuports/master/packages/brexx_x86-1.3.2-3-x86_gcc2.hpkg

Then pkgman install or just double click the hpkg files to install them.

I will soon make an hpkg file for ACE which will then take care of this automatically. But it needs some further testing to make sure ACE is fine with living in a package.

Offline CraigsBar

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
  • The party ain't over yet
    • index.php?action=treasury
  • Liked: 1041
« Reply #9 on: 01:32, 16 November 17 »
I am so installing this soon!

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3t using Tapatalk