News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Retro Virtual Machine v2.0.beta-1.r0 Released for Windows / Linux / MacOs

Started by jcgamestoy, 12:03, 22 December 18

Previous topic - Next topic

jcgamestoy

Quote from: Targhan on 15:03, 24 December 18

Yes I saw that. But I want to automatize. Maybe I can inject external commands to this command line (via AutoHotKey). This is probably what is the simplest. Provided I can load and execute SNA from it (but I guess I can, I didn't check).

MMM the ALT+O Hotkey allows you to insert a dsk, cdt or load a snapshot, maybe with this you can automatize...

roudoudou

Quote from: jcgamestoy on 00:48, 26 December 18
About the "undocumented" breakpoints is easy doable, but I don't understand the 2 bytes of the condition, is this documented?

Rasm generate Winape breakpoint with those 2 bytes zeroed. I guess other values are for other kind of breakpoints (I/O, ...)
Then you may skip them? Or reverse Winape breakpoints  :P
My pronouns are RASM and ACE

krusty_benediction

Quote from: jcgamestoy on 23:16, 23 December 18

I'm sorry to hear that, I'm surprised because I program it in ubuntu and also with an nvidia card. What window manager do you use?
Using Gnome 3. Here is a screenshot (edit: screenshot removed as not displayed). Whe nthe screen is not black it is probably the very first frame you display.
Here is also the output of your applicaiton :
Retro Virtual Machine v2.0 BETA-1 r0
Linux x64 Build: 6395 - (Sat Dec 22 01:08:19 2018 UTC)

©2018 Juan Carlos González Amestoy.

GLXContext direct
GLXContext direct
App exit successfully
And the output of nvidia-smi while launching your applicaiton :
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| NVIDIA-SMI 390.87                 Driver Version: 390.87                    |
|-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
| GPU  Name        Persistence-M| Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan  Temp  Perf  Pwr:Usage/Cap|         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
|===============================+======================+======================|
|   0  Quadro M2200        Off  | 00000000:01:00.0  On |                  N/A |
| N/A   49C    P0    N/A /  N/A |   1343MiB /  4036MiB |     15%      Default |
+-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

| Processes:                                                       GPU Memory |
|  GPU       PID   Type   Process name                             Usage      |
|=============================================================================|
|    0      1483      G   /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg                            57MiB |
|    0      1648      G   /usr/bin/gnome-shell                         107MiB |
|    0      3805      G   /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg                           578MiB |
|    0      4104      G   /usr/bin/gnome-shell                         369MiB |
|    0     10384      G   /usr/lib/firefox/firefox                       1MiB |
|    0     20685      G   ...uest-channel-token=12055094984229229253   122MiB |
|    0     28430      G   RetroVirtualMachine                           99MiB |
No idea how I can help more

mahlemiut

Found another issue, being that the Copy key (is mapped to Right Alt) does not seem to release, unless I close the emulation window, it will remain pressed.
Did confirm that the Right Alt key is working, by mapping Copy to Right Alt in MAME, which works fine.
- Barry Rodewald

Targhan

QuoteMMM the ALT+O Hotkey allows you to insert a dsk, cdt or load a snapshot, maybe with this you can automatize...
Yes indeed. But I believe the "insert snapshot" in your command line tool would be better.

QuoteAbout the "undocumented" breakpoints is easy doable, but I don't understand the 2 bytes of the condition, is this documented?
Just like Roudoudou said, these two bytes are not documented to my knowledge. Simply put 0 and be done with it :).

I tested your emulator on Windows and Linux (Mint), no problem at all!
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

mr_lou

I installed RVM on my Ubuntu Linux today. Looks really nice (when disabling all those effects that has nothing to do with the CPC).

But I encountered a problem while trying to check out Shadows of Sergoth: Disk is write protected apparently.

Can I do anything about that?

EDIT: mahlemiut opened my eyes for the write protection switch when inserting a disk, but even when I toggle this to unprotected, I'm still met with the write protected error.

EDIT2: Aaah.... I gotta first insert the disk, then switch the toggle.....  :)

Targhan

QuoteLooks really nice (when disabling all those effects that has nothing to do with the CPC).
How did you manage to do that? It's true that the "wow" effect is nice at first, but it goes a bit against what a CPC/Spectrum is about :). I wouldn't mind a "focus mode", but maybe it already exists.
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

mr_lou

Quote from: Targhan on 15:57, 29 December 18
How did you manage to do that? It's true that the "wow" effect is nice at first, but it goes a bit against what a CPC/Spectrum is about :) . I wouldn't mind a "focus mode", but maybe it already exists.

Once I've started the CPC emulator, I click the icon that looks like a TV.

I pick the preset "CRT Flat"

Don't touch colour, brightness and contrast.

Turn Mask up 3/4 or maybe even all the way up. This looks a lot like what the CPC monitor has in my opinion.

Turn everything else all the way down.

That's what it should look like in my opinion.

Targhan

Oh OK I see. I thought you managed to disable all the fancy effects in the emulator interface.
I already had some fun reproducing the real CPC screen. I especially like the "ghost effect" and the way you can curve the screen. Quite realistic!
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Gryzor

Speaking of the 'fancy' stuff; I think I said it before, but I wish all this was available in a text editor or (better) a terminal program like there's on the Macs...

tjohnson

Quote from: Targhan on 17:30, 29 December 18
Oh OK I see. I thought you managed to disable all the fancy effects in the emulator interface.
I already had some fun reproducing the real CPC screen. I especially like the "ghost effect" and the way you can curve the screen. Quite realistic!

The effect can be made quite realistic I think, I don't like the beam though, never seen that on an Amstrad monitor.

TotO

I'm really impressed by the expansions support!  :o
For the first time, an emulator allows to add a device that looks to work like the real one.

Just used the INSTALL process with FW3.15, EXPROM, RAMDRIVE, CP/M...
You know what? I will be able to update my tools w/o using the CPC when I'm not at home now!!!  :-*
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Gryzor

Yeah, that's a nice feature indeed. What is also very nice is that you can save those configs as very easily accessible 'machines'...

TotO

The "Paused" and "Warp On" effects are really cool, but... Is it possible a have a real pause "without" to do a screenshot?  ;D

Thank you!
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

jcgamestoy

Quote from: mahlemiut on 03:08, 28 December 18
Found another issue, being that the Copy key (is mapped to Right Alt) does not seem to release, unless I close the emulation window, it will remain pressed.
Did confirm that the Right Alt key is working, by mapping Copy to Right Alt in MAME, which works fine.

Windows? Linux? Mac?

jcgamestoy

Quote from: TotO on 10:47, 30 December 18
I'm really impressed by the expansions support!  :o
For the first time, an emulator allows to add a device that looks to work like the real one.

Just used the INSTALL process with FW3.15, EXPROM, RAMDRIVE, CP/M...
You know what? I will be able to update my tools w/o using the CPC when I'm not at home now!!!  :-*

;D  I had to study well the datasheet of the windbond flash chip... I have a preliminary implementation of sst in the next version maybe I will put the two models of your x-mem board.

I also want to add the x-mass and the m4... but there is a lot of work to do

jcgamestoy

Quote from: TotO on 18:01, 30 December 18
The "Paused" and "Warp On" effects are really cool, but... Is it possible a have a real pause "without" to do a screenshot?  ;D

Thank you!

Yes using the debugger, (ALT+S/CMD+S)

TotO

Quote from: jcgamestoy on 00:06, 31 December 18
Yes using the debugger, (ALT+S/CMD+S)
I was sure to find it somewhere!  :-\

About the X-MEM settings, there is a typo on: "Manague Roms..." (u).
Emulating the X-MASS should not be a big problem I think, as it is mainly a 8bit IDE "virtual drive".
I can see you are emulating a 6ch AY for Spectrum. If you require a PlayCity to do the same for CPC, let me know!  ;)

GUNHED

Hi there! Now I had some looks at it and this is my impression:
- Very well polished
- Much new features
- Great to see it contains Dandanator and X-MEM
- Installation to X-MEM works

However... sad thing is FutureOS doesn't work. It would be great it this can be changed, especially since the installer from X-MEM does actually work, but the OS itself does not. I really hope that some update could fix this.  :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

mahlemiut

- Barry Rodewald

norecess464

I just spent few time testing the emulator and I have to say, it's very promising, very refreshing.
The console command + ability to tweak the screen is awesome. I admit few options (for the screen) seems to do nothing (or at least, I did not find any usage for it).
phX demo works like a charm, including the ending scrolling involving RVI.
Cross-platform is really nice. I tested OSX version.
Note that on OSX, I use a program called "Magnet" that allow to "dock" (cf. move/resize) panels (it's system-wide, works with all programs). For an unknown reason, it does not work with the emulator.

Quote from: jcgamestoy on 22:14, 22 December 18Not yet, the goal of the Beta-2 will be the cpc plus and all the crtc models (now it only emulates the crtc0)
Yes, I second that. Support for other CPCs + Plus/GX-4000 machines (.cpr files) would be splendid !
For now I will continue to stick with WinAPE for development purposes. Looking forward for future versions!

My personal website: https://norecess.cpcscene.net
My current project is Sonic GX, a remake of Sonic the Hedgehog for the awesome Amstrad GX-4000 game console!

mr_lou

I haven't read through this whole thread, so I dunno if anyone has suggested this yet:

Add a way to paste text (typically a BASIC listing) into a textarea field, to have the emulator create that program. Useful for copying listings on the forum into the emulator.

TotO

Quote from: norecess on 01:24, 01 January 19Note that on OSX, I use a program called "Magnet" that allow to "dock" (cf. move/resize) panels (it's system-wide, works with all programs). For an unknown reason, it does not work with the emulator.
I'm using the OSX version too, and an issue I have found is the "open file" window looks to not filter the files using keywords (i.e. dsk).

vasilisk

Nice emulator approach. One question. In the manual for cpc it says that the COPY button is the Right ALT. It doesn't seems to work for me. Is it my keyboard layout?

VincentGR

Quote from: vasilisk on 22:31, 03 January 19
Nice emulator approach. One question. In the manual for cpc it says that the COPY button is the Right ALT. It doesn't seems to work for me. Is it my keyboard layout?

Same here