News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Which OS does your "emulation" computer use?

Started by arnoldemu, 13:37, 11 May 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Which OS does your "emulation" computer use?

32-bit Windows XP
8 (9.5%)
32-bit Windows 7
4 (4.8%)
64-bit Windows 7
30 (35.7%)
32-bit Windows 8
0 (0%)
64-bit Windows 8
15 (17.9%)
32-bit Linux
1 (1.2%)
64-bit Linux
12 (14.3%)
Other linux (raspberry pi etc)
3 (3.6%)
Older Windows (2000, windows 95)
0 (0%)
Mac PPC
0 (0%)
Mac OSX
11 (13.1%)

Total Members Voted: 83

chinnyhill10

Quote from: CraigsBar on 23:09, 17 November 15(A Samsung curved 48" SUHD jobby) with no SCART socket Crap what am I going to do!

Craig

Buy a different TV that has a SCART socket. Or get good quality converter. None of that Ebay crap with a PSU that will burn your house down and have horrible over sharpened pictures on a delay.

--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Bryce

Quote from: CraigsBar on 23:09, 17 November 15
indeed, the real feel is great, but although my desk is big, it's not big enough! emulation on the Morphos Mac Mini, or Mac Pro takes up no space and gives me a whole plethora (love using that word) of machines that I both own and do not. without moving monitors, power supplies and computers around.

I see room for both in my life but yes I do prefer the real thing wherever possible.

Oh, I am soon to get a new TV in the lounge (A Samsung curved 48" SUHD jobby) with no SCART socket Crap what am I going to do!

Craig

Does it have S-Video?

@chinnyhill10: Just because an image doesn't work on an emulator doesn't mean it wouldn't work on the real thing.

Bryce.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Bryce on 23:20, 17 November 15
Does it have S-Video?

@chinnyhill10: Just because an image doesn't work on an emulator doesn't mean it wouldn't work on the real thing.

Bryce.

I was thinking more about testing in terms of seeing what version of a game is in an image, is it cracked or original, etc, before I put it on the real machine.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Bryce on 22:31, 17 November 15
I'm with you on this. I don't have any emulators, but I don't code. If you own the real hardware, why would you ever want to use an emulator? Maybe for gaming when you are on the move with just your laptop?
You can't beat the "real feel", but if you don't have a choice, you'll be glad they exist. :)

Bryce.

If I could get my mits on a 6128 with HxC, I probably would nab one with the proper power supply and a cable to hook to a TV. Don't really have room for the clunky box monitors.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

dodogildo

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 23:10, 17 November 15

A rather naive opinion. Emulators are invaluable for those of us using original hardware.

Downloading images and quickly testing them before going to the trouble of converting them to HxC format, just fire up the emulator.

Pardon my 'naiveté' , but did you really think that by  'wasting precious time' I meant all these necessary testing/converting etc.. If yes,  that's what I call 'naive'  [emoji23]

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

M'enfin!

AMSDOS

Quote from: villain on 20:28, 17 November 15
After several years on OSX I'm now also back into the world of Windows. :-) Still need to find out how to make a Hackintosh (in Virtualbox) out of it.

Waste of time if you ask me, you need the right kind of PC with the right BIOS.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

CraigsBar

Quote from: AMSDOS on 08:11, 18 November 15

Waste of time if you ask me, you need the right kind of PC with the right BIOS.
Yep agreed, if you want a Mac, then pick up a Mac mini, they are beautifully made and cost less than a PC of the same spec to be 'hackintosh'ed and come with guaranteed osx compatibility without the hassle.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

dodogildo

Quote from: CraigsBar on 10:17, 18 November 15
Yep agreed, if you want a Mac, then pick up a Mac mini, they are beautifully made and cost less than a PC of the same spec to be 'hackintosh'ed and come with guaranteed osx compatibility without the hassle.
They're also great to use as PLEX servers when they got old. They age beautifully  :)
M'enfin!

Singaja

I can only confirm what others said that I haven't found a decent OS X native emulator. I use Parallels Desktop + Win 8.1 + WinApe on my mac. Occasionally the sound gets glitchy but apart from it, it's a really sleek development environment.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Singaja on 11:19, 18 November 15
. Occasionally the sound gets glitchy but apart from it, it's a really sleek development environment.

Now waiting for someone to chime in to say how dare you develop on an emulator and not the real machine.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

reidrac

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 12:08, 18 November 15
Now waiting for someone to chime in to say how dare you develop on an emulator and not the real machine.

I do cross-development from Linux; I don't think I could develop at the same level/speed if I was restricted to my CPC 464 (cassette only!  ::)).

I'm currently using WinAPE in Linux via WINE and is far from perfect; but that's the best I got after testing many options. It provides the best emulation with quick start up time and reasonable resource usage. Occasionally I test things on JavaCPC before running the code in the real hardware.

I know @arnoldemu is working on a native emulator that looks very promising, but it needs some work before is useful for development. AFAIK it'll be open source; hopefully it'll fill the gap providing a good emulator with good support in Linux (eg, like FUSE does for the Speccy).
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

villain

I still own a Mini. I'm just curios what's possible nowadays with Virtualbox. :-)

Shaun M. Neary

Spoken by someone who's never used a Hackintosh.
Hackintosh isn't for everyone admittedly, but if you like your hardware not locked down or welded to the motherboard, then it's the way to go. It doesn't even need a specific type of BIOS either, Chimera will work on a legacy BIOS while Clover works best with UEFI.

Five years of using them, never had an issue. Once it's loaded, leave it loaded. =)
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Singaja

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 13:59, 18 November 15

Hackintosh isn't for everyone admittedly, but if you like your hardware not locked down or welded to the motherboard, then it's the way to go. It doesn't even need a specific type of BIOS either, Chimera will work on a legacy BIOS while Clover works best with UEFI.

Five years of using them, never had an issue. Once it's loaded, leave it loaded. =)
Good luck with upgrading  ;)  Btw license strictly forbids running OS X on non-Apple hardware that includes virtualised instances too.

CraigsBar

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 13:59, 18 November 15

How do you know I've never run a hackintosh? Did i ever say that? Or give that impression?

I did have a series of netbooks and laptops running osx (clearly hackintoshed) to accompany my first desktop Mac. However I found the hassle and problems far outweigh the advantages so now choose to use the original apple hardware.

And to say that apple hardware is too expensive, well top spec macs are expensive, but so are similar spec PC's and the mini is a bargain.

The only area I agree (partially) with the cost argument is the laptops. Apple ones are considerably more expensive than similar windows machines, but the build quality is way better. Havebyou seen (or felt) the shoddy plastics on the current €1400 lenovo think pad shudder.

CraigsBar

Quote from: Singaja on 14:02, 18 November 15
Good luck with upgrading  ;)  Btw license strictly forbids running OS X on non-Apple hardware that includes virtualised instances too.
Unless you run the virtualisation software on a Mac too. I which case it's fine.

I run snow leopard under VMware to be able to test ppc apps before hooking up the powermac g5 and installing them for real.

Singaja

Quote from: CraigsBar on 15:54, 18 November 15
Unless you run the virtualisation software on a Mac too. I which case it's fine.

I run snow leopard under VMware to be able to test ppc apps before hooking up the powermac g5 and installing them for real.
That's correct and that's what I meant.

balford

I've no experience with Arnold as, being a Windows user, I get to use WinAPE natively.

In general though, an emulator needs to be intuitive, easy to use, feature packed and have exact (or as near as dammit) emulation in order to get away with charging for it. The Spectaculator ZX Spectrum emulator falls nicely into this category.

Free/open source emulators are generally forgiven these quirks, and the open source ones can end up being the most accurate. Just a pity that particular box hasn't been ticked yet on OS X.

B

chinnyhill10

Quote from: balford on 22:55, 18 November 15

Free/open source emulators are generally forgiven these quirks, and the open source ones can end up being the most accurate. Just a pity that particular box hasn't been ticked yet on OS X.

B

And I'm sure that actually if someone could come up with a decent Mac port of WinApe, we could make it worth their while. I'd pay for a CPC good emulator.

A fwhile back I was stuck in a hotel room with time to kill and was editing a video. I needed to check something in the game and usually I'd just fire up the CPC. However it was 200 miles away. So I fired up Arnold only to find the game in question (Airwolf) was Joystick only and I just couldn't get the keys bindings to work at all. An absolutely typical example of why we need Winape or a equivalent on the Mac.

--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

CraigsBar

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 23:02, 18 November 15

And I'm sure that actually if someone could come up with a decent Mac port of WinApe, we could make it worth their while. I'd pay for a CPC good emulator.

A fwhile back I was stuck in a hotel room with time to kill and was editing a video. I needed to check something in the game and usually I'd just fire up the CPC. However it was 200 miles away. So I fired up Arnold only to find the game in question (Airwolf) was Joystick only and I just couldn't get the keys bindings to work at all. An absolutely typical example of why we need Winape or a equivalent on the Mac.

I'd prefer ACE or Arnold to be ported to OSX, they are both more accurate than WinAPE.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: CraigsBar on 23:05, 18 November 15

I'd prefer ACE or Arnold to be ported to OSX, they are both more accurate than WinAPE.

Fair point. I'm not using it for precision stuff. It's mainly just checking or quickly comparing images before I put them onto the real deal.

Does any emulator read or write directly to HxC format yet? That would be a boon. Pop the SD card out the computer straight into the CPC without all that tedious conversion stuff.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Singaja on 14:02, 18 November 15Good luck with upgrading  ;)   Btw license strictly forbids running OS X on non-Apple hardware that includes virtualised instances too.

Upgrading actually isn't that difficult, 10.11 looks a little messier, but I tend to do clean installs and then import from a TM backup.
I'm aware of the licence, but seeing as they're essentially running a bastardised version of NetBSD and locking it down, I'm choosing to ignore it.  :laugh:

Quote from: CraigsBar on 15:50, 18 November 15
How do you know I've never run a hackintosh? Did i ever say that? Or give that impression?

I did have a series of netbooks and laptops running osx (clearly hackintoshed) to accompany my first desktop Mac. However I found the hassle and problems far outweigh the advantages so now choose to use the original apple hardware.

And to say that apple hardware is too expensive, well top spec macs are expensive, but so are similar spec PC's and the mini is a bargain.

The only area I agree (partially) with the cost argument is the laptops. Apple ones are considerably more expensive than similar windows machines, but the build quality is way better. Havebyou seen (or felt) the shoddy plastics on the current €1400 lenovo think pad shudder.

First off, no offence intended. Usually most people who harp on about the quality of the build are usually from the anti-hackintosh crowd who quite frankly bore me to tears, so you can understand how I came to that conclusion.

I don't bother Hackintoshing laptops. One of the reasons I pay the premiums for Macbook Pros and Macbook Air's is due to the battery life, Lenovos and Acers simply don't compete. I've also found Power Management to be a complete pain in the ass. Believe me, as an owner of a 13" Macbook Pro, a 17" MacBook Pro and a 13" MacBook Air (for general use, photography use and work use respectively), not to mention a couple of ATV's, iPhone and iPad. Believe me when I tell you, Apple have gotten quite a chunk of my cash.  :laugh:

Again, I'm speaking in terms of desktop hardware (and I really should have stated that, I thought I did), I'm sorry, but the price for a Mac Pro? with no monitor or accessories? They can take a hike. I've gotten me a nice Thermaltake Armor to house several drives.  :laugh: ;)

CraigsBar

The new Mac pro is a joke! Pro desktop my arse, it's a Mac mini on banned performance enhancing substances ;)

My Mac pro (late 2012) is a beautiful hexacore aluminium powerhouse. All my expansions are internal, it has performance to spare and, although it cost €3.5k a Linux PC built to the same standard and spec would cost a very similar price, and be a much bigger pita.

No plans here to upgrade yet ;)

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: CraigsBar on 00:16, 19 November 15
The new Mac pro is a joke! Pro desktop my arse, it's a Mac mini on banned performance enhancing substances ;)

My Mac pro (late 2012) is a beautiful hexacore aluminium powerhouse. All my expansions are internal, it has performance to spare and, although it cost €3.5k a Linux PC built to the same standard and spec would cost a very similar price, and be a much bigger pita.

No plans here to upgrade yet ;)

My sentiments exactly! But sadly it seems to be the way it's going with their design. Times like this I'd love to throttle Jony Ive.

Desktop hack is running quite smoothly though, with a Samsung 28" 4K monitor. It got it's upgrade in January from old Mac Pro 2008 hardware spec, so the difference truly is unreal.

But getting back on track, it would be nice to see a nice version of Arnold for OS X, and I'll do all I can to aid in this, provide I can get SDK to work properly =D

CraigsBar

I think the best we can do is donate a modernish Mac mini to @arnoldemu. A core2duo will still run Mavericks, Yosemite or ElCapitan right?