News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Which OS does your "emulation" computer use?

Started by arnoldemu, 13:37, 11 May 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Which OS does your "emulation" computer use?

32-bit Windows XP
8 (9.5%)
32-bit Windows 7
4 (4.8%)
64-bit Windows 7
30 (35.7%)
32-bit Windows 8
0 (0%)
64-bit Windows 8
15 (17.9%)
32-bit Linux
1 (1.2%)
64-bit Linux
12 (14.3%)
Other linux (raspberry pi etc)
3 (3.6%)
Older Windows (2000, windows 95)
0 (0%)
Mac PPC
0 (0%)
Mac OSX
11 (13.1%)

Total Members Voted: 83

CraigsBar

And the plus Please. I tried to set up a contest to stimulate development of this a while ago.... But got no interest.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

TFM

It's time for an OSX emulator on CPC. I can't afford another computer.  8)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TotO

Quote from: arnoldemu on 13:42, 12 May 15The poll is independent of which emulator you use, so although people are saying which emulator they prefer this is not counted and not important here.
Usually, peoples use what they prefer. :)
But sure, we can vote and shut-up!  :-\
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

VincentGR

Many pcs here but the main is 8.1 x64.

chinnyhill10

Em-u-what? All the real deal here!

OSX is in desperate need of a CPC emulator that isn't rubbish though!
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

alex76gr

Yes indeed.
And of course a PPC binary along with the X86 would be bliss.
Some people still using their PPC Macs from time ti time... :blank:

QuoteOSX is in desperate need of a CPC emulator that isn't rubbish though!
I still believe that i got my myopia from the green GT-65 monitor, but i can't prove it! :)

mahlemiut

Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit here - old, but so is my PC, and it does what I want it to.  Mostly use MESS (since I work on it fairly regularly), but can use WinAPE via Wine if need be.
- Barry Rodewald

BSC

Ubuntu 12.04 here (and also some Mac OS X which is no longer supported thanks to Fuc^h^h^hApple) and I wonder which emulator does in fact work AND properly emulate sophisticated stuff like recent demos etc. I have tried some of the available emulators over the last couple of years (don't ask me for names, they escape me atm), but none of them was really useful, so I resorted to Arnold on the Mac, which works quite well imo.

So: Which emulators for the Linux platform (especially older Ubuntu and a non-state-of-the-art graphics card) can you recommend? (and sorry for capturing the thread!)
** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

AMSDOS

Quote from: Singaja on 10:06, 12 May 15
In which areas WinAPE is inaccurate? Does CPC++, MESS or SugarBox offer such debugging capabilities?

Unsure if anyone is addressing the "&BCD7 KL NEW FRAME FLY" problem. This is the one Sprites Alive (BASIC version) uses on Initiation for setting up an Event Block. The Event Block in Sprites Alive case Disables Interrupts, so on a machine with 128kb, it should crash when accessing the extra 64k. None of the Emulators (like Winape, WinCPC or CPCE) are doing this.

But I'm guessing it's a problem in the too hard basket?
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

TFM

Quote from: VincentGR on 20:15, 12 May 15
Many pcs here but the main is 8.1 x64.

Where do you see that? Win 8 hat 11 votes, Win 7 has 17 (actually 20, when including 32 bit).
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

remax

Quote from: TFM on 16:38, 13 May 15

Where do you see that? Win 8 hat 11 votes, Win 7 has 17 (actually 20, when including 32 bit).

He is talking about him
Brain Radioactivity

Prodatron

WinApe is one of the reasons why I would never use another PC OS than Windows!  ;D
(my is Windows 7 64bit)

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

Singaja

Quote from: Prodatron on 17:39, 13 May 15
WinApe is one of the reasons why I would never use another PC OS than Windows!  ;D
(my is Windows 7 64bit)
^WinApe works like charm on OS X & Parallels.

Gryzor

I'm emulating a community of people on a Debian box. This way I have more than 1000 imaginary friends :)

Apollo

Win7 64bit

Your question sounds a lot like my thoughts since about a year about starting an emulator on QT for a wide range of supported plattforms with a feature set like WinAPE.
Sadly I didn't have the time beyond some basic Z80 and GA emulation...
CPC - My beloved first computer!

Carnivius

I have to change mine cos I got a new (second hand) PC for gamedev project reasons and it's got the 64bit Windows 7 rather than my laptop's 32bit version.  :)    I may use both for emulation purposes but this PC has the identical dual monitors set up which are 4:3 aspect ratio cos I like that for work and and retrogaming.
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

arnoldemu

I asked the question because I have been working on a new version of arnold for a few years. I was interested to know the spread of OS used to know where to concentrate my efforts.

Yes I have a "top secret" fossil source control management (Fossil: Home) based repository of code. Some people know it's URL.

The emulator already has a wxwidgets based GUI, it uses SDL underneath. The GUI is well advanced and rivals winape's. The emu works fine on linux and windows and ok on mac.

I know Craig wants a mac version and it's close. ;)

Recently somebody asked if there was a version that ran on windows xp. So i wanted to know which OS do people have, how much time should I take to make it compatible with various devices.

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Gryzor

Ohhh screen shot please! :)

Also, how many of you got the little annoying icon  about getting in line for Windows 10? :D

gerald

Quote from: Gryzor on 16:18, 07 June 15
Also, how many of you got the little annoying icon  about getting in line for Windows 10? :D
Not on my Win7, but maybe it because I removed the update that added it before it pops-up  ;D

Gryzor

Ah that's what happens when you don't check each KBxxxxx...

Bryce

Yes, I got the Win10 free download icon. Does it just download a complete image or does it install on the fly?

Bryce.

Gryzor

I guess both, like the Win8 installer on Win7- downloads the image, prepares the system, reboots and proceeds to fuck your system up upgrade your system. It asks you at every step, I'd presume. Looking kind of forward to it after the 8 clusterfuck.

Bryce

I'm still on Win7, but I'd like to download the image so that I can decide to install it later if the reviews are good.

Bryce.

VincentGR

Quote from: Bryce on 12:05, 08 June 15
I'm still on Win7, but I'd like to download the image so that I can decide to install it later if the reviews are good.

Bryce.

You've been warned  ;D

I have it too but I doubt that it is available. Still trying to stable win8 on me desk from clean install.
Imagine this shit as a patch on you old os... terror.

Bryce

If I did decide to use it I'd definitely do a clean install.

Bryce.