News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Which OS does your "emulation" computer use?

Started by arnoldemu, 13:37, 11 May 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Which OS does your "emulation" computer use?

32-bit Windows XP
8 (9.5%)
32-bit Windows 7
4 (4.8%)
64-bit Windows 7
30 (35.7%)
32-bit Windows 8
0 (0%)
64-bit Windows 8
15 (17.9%)
32-bit Linux
1 (1.2%)
64-bit Linux
12 (14.3%)
Other linux (raspberry pi etc)
3 (3.6%)
Older Windows (2000, windows 95)
0 (0%)
Mac PPC
0 (0%)
Mac OSX
11 (13.1%)

Total Members Voted: 83

Gryzor

Win8 installed over a Win7 installation was good enough, actually (but the OS sucked). But yeah, clean installs are always better.

As for the image, since MS is giving it away for free for the first year (if I'm not mistaken) you'll be able to find it everywhere... Or just search your system for the iso once it tells you it's there :)

VincentGR

My advice to you is to use symbos instead of windows.

Or workbench as it is the supreme OS...

;D

invent

Sorry to bring up older threads. :) ( new enthusiastic user) :)

I use Mac OS mainly, which means I use Arnold.  I'm open to other platform (eg using win 7) to play amstrad games.  I don't have a real amstrad unfortunately.  I wonder if suggesting some crowd funding for further development. I would donate. 

As a side thought, I recently discovered an excellent mutiplatform emulator for the Mac Called "open emu", seems to be very well setup for controls/ joystick settings. It doesn't as yet support Amstrad sadly, maybe one day :)

I wonder out of all the emulators which is the most accurate emulation? 

Enjoying/Creating Retro Games

Singaja

On vanilla OS X have a look on JavaCPC. If you consider Parallels/Win tandem WinApe is really accurate.

invent

Quote from: Singaja on 11:43, 10 September 15
On vanilla OS X have a look on JavaCPC. If you consider Parallels/Win tandem WinApe is really accurate.

Thanks for the response Singaja, I will look at both.  Besides playing the games I'm interested in ripping the sprites or at least capturing screenshots for closer research in pixel / shading ideas.
Enjoying/Creating Retro Games

CraigsBar

Arnold on osx has become unloved and much needing a couple of bugfixes. As it seems abandoned @arnoldemu was working on it again, but he hasn't got a Mac so is using osx virtualized.

If you can get your hands on an ppc Mac mini, and fancy installing MorphOS on it, then ace is the best CPC & plus emulator I have found on any platform.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

arnoldemu

Quote from: invent on 11:38, 10 September 15
I wonder out of all the emulators which is the most accurate emulation?
Probably Ace under MorphOS.

There is a wip of arnold which builds and runs under macosx, but it's not as well polished as the Arnold from Richard Bannister.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

||C|-|E||

I always use Windows 7 x64 for emulation and, in general, as my desktop operating system :). I work with linux quite a lot, but it always with the terminal  ::)

Fessor

A Dual-Boot-System with Kubuntu 14.04 for most of the Time. Windows was banned to Virtualbox.

PHabermehl

Uh, oh, missed the poll....

So:

5x Linux64 (Suse13.2)
1x Raspbian

Shaun M. Neary

I'm another stranded OS X user too.

Bannister's buggy piece of crap really isn't cutting the mustard at all.
@arnoldemu - I'll happily go through with you how to install OS X on a regular PC via Hackintosh if it'll help!  :laugh:
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

TFM

Since the weekend I'm proud user of 128 bit Windows 9.  ???
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

CraigsBar

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 19:10, 17 November 15
I'm another stranded OS X user too.

Bannister's buggy piece of crap really isn't cutting the mustard at all.
@arnoldemu - I'll happily go through with you how to install OS X on a regular PC via Hackintosh if it'll help!  :laugh:
I agreed re-bannister's Arnold. I like the icon tho. My emulation is now under morphos on a Mac mini g4 'silent upgrade' ;)

chinnyhill10

Quote from: CraigsBar on 19:41, 17 November 15
I agreed re-bannister's Arnold. I like the icon tho. My emulation is now under morphos on a Mac mini g4 'silent upgrade' ;)

Arnold is a piece of shit. Really terrible. Really need a working emulator on OSX to aid me getting images across to my real CPC.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

TFM

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 19:52, 17 November 15

Arnold is a piece of shit. Really terrible. Really need a working emulator on OSX to aid me getting images across to my real CPC.

Can you please calm down and stop insulting other peoples hard work. Instead of insulting here more often you could better use your time to make a better product by yourself.  >:(
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: TFM on 19:58, 17 November 15

Can you please calm down and stop insulting other peoples hard work. Instead of insulting here more often you could better use your time to make a better product by yourself.  >:(

I'm sorry, but no. Have you ever had the misfortune to ever use Arnold on a Mac?
Constant resets, extra bugs in games, not to mention the fact that he stripped out joypad and full screen support so that he can charge £20 for "Emulator Enhancer" (which will still work by answering the nag).

That emulator deserves all the criticism, and then some!
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

villain

After several years on OSX I'm now also back into the world of Windows. :-) Still need to find out how to make a Hackintosh (in Virtualbox) out of it.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: villain on 20:28, 17 November 15
After several years on OSX I'm now also back into the world of Windows. :-) Still need to find out how to make a Hackintosh (in Virtualbox) out of it.

Virtualbox? Ew no, sir!
Throw it on an old hard drive and look up Chimera or Clover bootloader! ;)

CraigsBar

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 20:12, 17 November 15

I'm sorry, but no. Have you ever had the misfortune to ever use Arnold on a Mac?
Constant resets, extra bugs in games, not to mention the fact that he stripped out joypad and full screen support so that he can charge £20 for "Emulator Enhancer" (which will still work by answering the nag).

That emulator deserves all the criticism, and then some!

You forgot to mention that it cannot emulate 128k machine, It SAYS it is running 128k but then only actually implements 64k - so 128k games don't work. Oh, and the incomplete options for tape loading (You can load a CDT but there is no tape control) so you cannot actually "start" the tape.

Craig

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: CraigsBar on 20:41, 17 November 15

You forgot to mention that it cannot emulate 128k machine, It SAYS it is running 128k but then only actually implements 64k - so 128k games don't work. Oh, and the incomplete options for tape loading (You can load a CDT but there is no tape control) so you cannot actually "start" the tape.

Craig

Can't say I had that problem. Chase HQ loaded fine for me, loaded all the levels in one go. Pretty sure I got 128k Double Dragon going on it too.
Unless I'm missing something.

See? I CAN defend the emulator sometimes!  :laugh:

dodogildo

No offense but I'm having difficulties to understand why someone ever feels the urge to waste precious time and energy with an emulator even though he owns the original hardware... (Apart from the development purposes of course. This's obvious.)
M'enfin!

Bryce

Quote from: dodogildo on 22:19, 17 November 15
No offense but I'm having difficulties to understand why someone ever feels the urge to waste precious time and energy with an emulator even though he owns the original hardware... (Apart from the development purposes of course. This's obvious.)

I'm with you on this. I don't have any emulators, but I don't code. If you own the real hardware, why would you ever want to use an emulator? Maybe for gaming when you are on the move with just your laptop?
You can't beat the "real feel", but if you don't have a choice, you'll be glad they exist. :)

Bryce.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: TFM on 19:58, 17 November 15

TFM's double standards always amuse. Always happy to kick off at nothing he also enjoys policing others when they don't agree with his views!

Arnold on the Mac is useless. Try using it on a Mac without a numeric keypad, try navigating your way through the awful menus, try battling with all the add on bits you have to pay for if you want it to work properly.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

CraigsBar

Quote from: Bryce on 22:31, 17 November 15
I'm with you on this. I don't have any emulators, but I don't code. If you own the real hardware, why would you ever want to use an emulator? Maybe for gaming when you are on the move with just your laptop?
You can't beat the "real feel", but if you don't have a choice, you'll be glad they exist. :)

Bryce.
indeed, the real feel is great, but although my desk is big, it's not big enough! emulation on the Morphos Mac Mini, or Mac Pro takes up no space and gives me a whole plethora (love using that word) of machines that I both own and do not. without moving monitors, power supplies and computers around.

I see room for both in my life but yes I do prefer the real thing wherever possible.

Oh, I am soon to get a new TV in the lounge (A Samsung curved 48" SUHD jobby) with no SCART socket Crap what am I going to do!

Craig

chinnyhill10

Quote from: dodogildo on 22:19, 17 November 15

A rather naive opinion. Emulators are invaluable for those of us using original hardware.

Downloading images and quickly testing them before going to the trouble of converting them to HxC format, just fire up the emulator. On the road and wanting to do research for ChinnyVision, well I can't cart a CPC with me but I can boot up an emulator and do research before i do the reviews using the real hardware.

Also we need continued emulator development to keep the machine alive. One day we won't have working CPC's. All we will have is emulation. One of the reasons I review using original hardware is to preserve what the output of the machines look like.

In short there are lots of uses for emulators even if you own four CPC's as I do.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube