News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Why is WinAPE website marked as "harmful" by Google Chrome?

Started by ssg, 06:29, 09 November 18

Previous topic - Next topic

ssg

Visiting http://www.winape.net shows that "this website is harmful" warning message.

As I understand, VirusTotal shows warnings about some of the binaries but they must be false positives. Is there nothing to do about those?

If Executioner's still around, is there way to "tame" the binaries by going easy on, I don't know, packing/obfuscation and stuff?

tastefulmrship

The WinAPE site works fine in IE and EDGE... but not the others!
Strange! ^_^

GUNHED

That's what happens if you don't pay your bribe money in time.  ;)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

gerald

Quote from: ssg on 06:29, 09 November 18
As I understand, VirusTotal shows warnings about some of the binaries but they must be false positives. Is there nothing to do about those?
As far a I remember, it's because winApe is able to fetch and install an update by itself.

ssg

Quote from: gerald on 17:25, 09 November 18
As far a I remember, it's because winApe is able to fetch and install an update by itself.

Many software do that, I don't see them tarred and feathered :)

ssg

I know most sceners would ignore the warning and visit the web page. The problem I see there, however, is that someone can inject an actual malware to web page and get away with it because Google had already marked it as unsafe. Anyone ignoring the warning would be susceptible to attacks like that through the web site. Luckily we are not that many :P

robcfg

I think it's a stupid warning.

If it stated what's actually wrong with it we could make an informed decision or would make it easier for Richard to check and fix anything that may be actually harmful.

So far, I don't know if it thinks that zipped exe files are considered harmful, or obsolete web scripts or whatever.

Gryzor

I think the worst thing is that Google downrates the site in its results. Yes, people are still going to visit, but it's going to get harder to find.

wonderboy

Firefox and Edge say the same - bypass the warning in Firefox, download attempts warn that the cartridge cpr files are dangerous.

I remember seeing viruses years ago with the cpr file type, anyone know more about this?  I assume it's an automatic security measure.

Still, Kaspersky gave it all clear on my laptop.

Everyone else ok with it?

ssg

Quote from: robcfg on 10:46, 10 November 18
If it stated what's actually wrong with it we could make an informed decision or would make it easier for Richard to check and fix anything that may be actually harmful.

They usually design these things around average users, not us.