News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

How Feasible, would a Emulator allow link up across internet for 2 player?

Started by Puresox, 01:11, 07 November 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Puresox

Would this option ever be possible , to allow games like Stunt Car Racer ,Guantlet and many others .to be played 2 player across the net. I reckon this would be fantastic and allow great tournaments. CPC style.

MiguelSky

You already have this option availble in CPCE emulator!

Puresox

Mod , did I not put this in the Emulator's Thread? I intended too .

Is that right CPCE has the option already? Well that's good news . I am an avid fan of WinApe and only really familiar with this Emu. Although I don't see it being a problem looking at CPCE. I just find Winape a very good package . Not to say CPCE isn't, will have to see how it runs .
Cheers

MiguelSky

MacDeath

QuoteWould this option ever be possible , to allow games like Stunt Car Racer ,Guantlet and many others .to be played 2 player across the net. I reckon this would be fantastic and allow great tournaments. CPC style.
Well, first there may be two cases :

= the game is already a multiplayer games on the same screen.
basically it would be mostly the emulators task to manage some "shared" emulation or add extra view and control on another device. the CPC part is not even concerned.

= the game is not supposed to be multiplayer and/or each players should have their own screen.
Need to code the game from scratch, I don't think pre-existing games can be moded that way unless a huge amount of work.

Games designed for Online/network  multiplayer would be great.

Need to check the "consumption" from the Network aspect though.
Also need to check what sort of game would suit best.

MMORPG : would definitaly be great.
Wargames : coudl be great as well, turn based ones most preferably.
Some first person games such as Xybot : yeap.
Race games : yeah too.

and so on.

We actually dreams of some online CPC-friendly server to run MMO games... where the CPCs would not be too concerned by many aspects of the game and somewhat serve as terminals... great for RPGs I guess.

But how to make it "hackers proof" ?

Puresox

Quote from: MacDeath on 22:24, 07 November 16
Well, first there may be two cases :

= the game is already a multiplayer games on the same screen.
basically it would be mostly the emulators task to manage some "shared" emulation or add extra view and control on another device. the CPC part is not even concerned.

= the game is not supposed to be multiplayer and/or each players should have their own screen.
Need to code the game from scratch, I don't think pre-existing games can be moded that way unless a huge amount of work.

Games designed for Online/network  multiplayer would be great.

Need to check the "consumption" from the Network aspect though.
Also need to check what sort of game would suit best.

MMORPG : would definitaly be great.
Wargames : coudl be great as well, turn based ones most preferably.
Some first person games such as Xybot : yeap.
Race games : yeah too.

and so on.

We actually dreams of some online CPC-friendly server to run MMO games... where the CPCs would not be too concerned by many aspects of the game and somewhat serve as terminals... great for RPGs I guess.

But how to make it "hackers proof" ?

Right , so just to make sure everyone is on the same page regarding what I'm after....
Looking for an option to allow , Say Gauntlet for example . In the old days you'd have a pal round and you would both share the keyboard .
This is what I am looking for ,but the only difference being the other player is on their PC somewhere else in the country.
You both load up emulator and the same screen is on each seperate PC ,so two separate   PC's simulating 1 Amstrad CPC . So allowing 2player games across the net .
It is starting to sound as though it is a difficult thing to set up tbh

MacDeath

Puresox

I suppose , would a host site that allowed both players to sync up .Like Devilmarkus place?

VincentGR

Stunt Car Racer?
How is this possible on CPC to play multiplayer.
I did this only on Amiga-Amiga, Amiga-Atari and Amiga-Fellow(PC) via null cable.
Also a specific version of WinUAE Kaillera supports it.

Puresox