News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

2011 - what can a cpc'er look forward to?

Started by cpc4eva, 05:00, 15 January 11

Previous topic - Next topic

fano

Normal , palette of downgraded NES is made of shades of grey  :laugh:
About ingame GFX , i must admit i do not like a lot 3 colors sprites  :-X

(More seriously , you know well it is possible to do nice GFX with this awfull palette , we must congratulate people that did theses GFX  :angel: )
"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

redbox

Nice to see a "flame war" always descends into C64 bashing  ;)

The one thing they do have is amazing demos being written, can't knock the machine for that.

cpc4eva

Quote from: redbox on 10:19, 26 January 11
Nice to see a "flame war" always descends into C64 bashing  ;)

The one thing they do have is amazing demos being written, can't knock the machine for that.

what is wrong with amstrad cpc's amazing(scratch amazing, insert brilliant)  demos ????

redbox

Quote from: cpc4eva on 10:26, 26 January 11
what is wrong with amstrad cpc's amazing(scratch amazing, insert brilliant)  demos ??? ?

Nothing.  I've just seen better on the C64 of late.

ukmarkh

The C64 craps all over the Amstrad and speccy... doesn't mean I don't love my CPC  ;)

trocoloco

Quote from: ukmarkh on 14:16, 26 January 11
The C64 craps all over the Amstrad and speccy... doesn't mean I don't love my CPC  ;)

no f****ng way man, great sound but totally crappy washed out colours

cpc4eva

Quote from: trocoloco on 17:12, 26 January 11
no f****ng way man, great sound but totally crappy washed out colours

im with you trocoloco :)

washed out colours and according to wikipedia  the c64's gfx were:

a VIC-II gfx chip (320 × 200, 16 colors, sprites,raster interrupt)
come on ukmark the cpc had loads more colours and the quality of colour shading is so much better on a cpc.
and that dreaded c64 - 1541 disk drive was clunky noisy and slow as a cpc's tape drive....
:P 

fano

Quote from: ukmarkh on 14:16, 26 January 11The C64 craps all over the Amstrad and speccy...
In terms of scrolling and sprites smoothness for sure , SID sound is good too.But graphically speaking , no way , 3 colors sprites are awfull like dual playfield on CPC.For domains where VIC-II is useless (like true 3D) , C64 is not better than the Spectrum  :laugh:
"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

ukmarkh

Well I've certainly stirred up a hornets nest here. The scrolling on the C64 is amazing for the time, and the SID chip is much better than good. For its time it was unbelieveable. It's silly to go on about it graphics, especially when everything looked and moved as smooth as a babies arse. And let's not forget when it was released. What I will say is that I love the CPC... and always will. Yes the graphics look better on the CPC, more vibrant and colourful. But to suggest it is a better machine just because of this one strength... is bending the truth a little. The problem with me is that I fell in love with the CPC tech, and it left me blinkererd. Let's forget about what machine is the best, and celebrate all the good memories and things the CPC has brought us. Who cares anyway, I mean really  ;)

TFM

Hey, hey, hey... about this flamewar thing... ehm... I've been only joking  :angel:

I mean, we all know that the c64 is crap compared to the CPC, therefore I mentioned this example.

So let me introduce the TFM rule: "If there ever is a flamewar, it will end up with CPC against c64."

Proove me wrong and have a great evening  ;D ;D ;D
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

arnoldemu

Quote from: ukmarkh on 22:29, 26 January 11
Well I've certainly stirred up a hornets nest here. The scrolling on the C64 is amazing for the time, and the SID chip is much better than good. For its time it was unbelieveable. It's silly to go on about it graphics, especially when everything looked and moved as smooth as a babies arse. And let's not forget when it was released. What I will say is that I love the CPC... and always will. Yes the graphics look better on the CPC, more vibrant and colourful. But to suggest it is a better machine just because of this one strength... is bending the truth a little. The problem with me is that I fell in love with the CPC tech, and it left me blinkererd. Let's forget about what machine is the best, and celebrate all the good memories and things the CPC has brought us. Who cares anyway, I mean really  ;)
I do understand what you are saying.

Yes the scrolling is smoother, yes the sound is better.

But same here, I love the cpc too and will continue to release games and with each game released I try to do something more.

I think the important thing, for me anyway, is to continue to enjoy it and to release games.
Keep the cpc alive, and in 2011, we will do just that again!
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

TMR

[Peers out from behind the sofa]

Is it safe to come out again...?

sigh

I really like both machines. My friend had the C64 and myself the CPC464. He was always wowed by the graphics on CPC, and me in awe of sound and scrolling of the C64. However - Amstrad will always be my first point of call for 8 bit development.

MacDeath

BTW this is nota real debate.

22million unit sold can't be that wrong.

Of course C64 is superior in many way but palette compaired to CPC.

Anyway it is always fun to argue despite this just because my first computer was a CPC and not a C64.

Also because of C64fanboyz telling that bacause it has a simple PSG AY and no Hardware support the CPC is a humble piece of shit...

Even speccyFans are bitching us with their Graphicall shitfest (they should buy new eyes that enable to see colours...)
Just because the speccy can run a badly optimized codes with a little more speed than a CPC...
Well of course if having 2 colours or colour clashes is not a deal with you, I'm ok...
Can a game be considered playable whit that much colour clashes ?
To me it is not.

ex : Rick Dangerous may be smooth on speccy... the sprite merging with the background "colour" is not what I call playability.

CPC can at least pretend to be a speccy as so many games runing on it are actually speccy games.
Also there used to be Speccy emulators on CPC...
I dare Speccy to run a CPC emulator.

So yeah it is always fun to pretend... and CPC is such a well rounded machine that it can't be the piece of shit all those pretend it is.a CPC61287 or a 6128Plus can really show great stuff, it is all that count.

Anyway, Samcoupé and enterprise128 are clearly the superiorest of the cream of the 8 bit...(OMG a built-in joystick ? this is so awesome... :laugh: )
And MSX3++MaxiTurboXXL R perhaps... but is it really an 8 bit computer ?

So to me :

Speccy could have been great if it could display 2 kind of planes... I mean Backgrounds and foregrounds, with masked stuff...
Even in 1bit colours... this would be so kool.
But it didn't.

C64 would have been so perfect with a 32 colour full custom  palette.

CPC would have been perfect if it was really designed to be 128K from the start (to me the real deal with CPC)...
or even got +5 custom colours in its palette (+2 greys... and perhaps 2 brown.. and 1 very Dark green ? or an additional dark orange ?... something like that)
or perhaps just get a few Hardware scrollings or Raster interrupt facilities (would have ease those many speccy ports with useless rasters...)
The PLUS did... but it was 2-3 years too late.

The 6128PLUS is the best CPC ever.

sigh

Is anyone planning on creating some sort of racing game for 2011? Chase HQ smoothness - but even smoother? I remember a game called SuperCycle on the CPC and I'm quite sure that it was one of the most smoothest I had seen.

Gryzor

Still off-topic, but at least not flame-inducing: the other night my girl played Chase HQ for the first time. I told her, "*now* you'll recognise something!". That 'something' was the quote "Let's go Mr Driver!" that I always use when I start the engine!!!

villain

Quote from: sigh on 15:56, 27 January 11
Is anyone planning on creating some sort of racing game for 2011? Chase HQ smoothness - but even smoother? I remember a game called SuperCycle on the CPC and I'm quite sure that it was one of the most smoothest I had seen.

Super Cycle is still a great racing game. It´s one of the games I play on CPC from time to time. And it also was (at least a little bit) responsible that I made a license for motobikes some years later.

TFM

Quote from: MacDeath on 13:22, 27 January 11
22million unit sold can't be that wrong.

They can ... and they are. Most of the people are just stupid, follow the advertisments and buy what others tell them. Only few people on this planet (and on others) are really smart, they bought a CPC!

Of course C64 is superior in many way but palette compaired to CPC.

Where please is the c64 superior???

The CPC has a 4 MHz CPU, the c64 hat 0.9 MHz (not even 1!!!).

The AY of the CPC has three channels, so you have stereo. The SID is mono only!!!

The CPC has native 640 * 200 high resolution, the c64 just 320*200.

The BASIC of the CPC is way superior to the poor c64 BASIC which lacks commands like: MODE, CLS, INK, PEN, SOUND and dozends more!!!

The scrolling of the CPC is at least as good as the c64 scrolling, for example look at: Trantor, Mission Genocide, Tornado Low Level, (even my own games...). Hovever I must admit that only few people used the mega-fast scrolling features of the CPC.

Further the CPC can have real overscan. Now look at Starglider or Driller on CPC then on c64. Not one more word needed to say.

Ok, the c64 has hardware sprites... pffff. Ok, one point for that German crap!!!

But if I look at the worn out colors of the c64, I have to throw out  :'(

Just because the speccy can run a badly optimized codes with a little more speed than a CPC...

Ehhh.... if I optimeze code for the CPC then it runs more quick (not only a bit) than on poor spectrum.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Xyphoe

Quote from: TMR on 10:48, 27 January 11
[Peers out from behind the sofa]

Is it safe to come out again...?

LOL!

Nah, I think you might want to stay there a little while longer whilst we get it out our system  :laugh:

MacDeath

Typical scene of the 80's :

Christmas 1984...
=My son, we decided to buy you the computer you asked us... this is for your future so we had a loan to get you the best we could.

=Oh Dad and mom that's so cool...

(opening the box)

Yeah, a C64 !!!

=(you'll be an enginer my son and I'm proud of you...my son)

=But... Dad... Mom... I can't do shit with this, I have no Datastorage nor Monitor...

=What ? you little piece of shit, we took a 10 year loan with your mother to get you this scrappy stuff and you even want more ?

Next Week :

=Mom can I use the TV ?
=Again ? you won't do anything young boy, I have to watch Dallas...
=But mooooom....
(slap!!! slap slap !!!)

Next year :
=What ? you lazy boy, we bleed ourselves to death to give your a ticket for the future and you spend all your time playing this stupid thing with this awnfull bleeping sounds and this music is getting on my nerves and ebleed my ears...
=But Daaaaad... I don'yt understand nothing with this shitty Basic....
=slap...slapp...

(The boy became a butthurt  Mac-user hipster. He is a jobless DJ who pretend to be a musical genius but can't do shit with any instrument... and no girl likes him.)

somewhere else in France :
(translated for easier experience)

=Kool, a complete CPC6128... thx mom and Dad...
=Your welcomed my son, and we can stilll eat foie-gras and watch TV...
=Hey this Basic is top notch, let's try to code something...

happy family...

(the CPC boy became a Graphist and currently work at UbiSoft in Lyon... and he get a lot of hot girls in addition to his regular wife. He even had a good shot with Jade Raymond, while drunk in Montréal...)

No speccy was hurt in the process.

Xyphoe

Quote from: ukmarkh on 14:16, 26 January 11

Anyway... first thought that springs to mind is "Oh no not this again!!"  :laugh:

Too many variables and things to look at and consider to say 'which is better'.

It's tougher to argue the Amstrad is a better 'games machine' than the C64 .... but I think it's a better 'all round' computer generally eg for business purposes etc if I was pressed for an opinion.

<edited this as I dont want to contribute to some silly argument that could escalate>

TotO

CPC vs C64 = PC vs Amiga.
It's typically the same scheme :

C64 and Amiga got less powerfull CPU and restricted color display.
But, both own specific hardware to handle scrolling and displaying "sprites" for doing smooth 2D games.

CPC and PC are versatile ; more flexible, not limited by using specific hardcoded effects.
Using more memory, CPU power and some tricks, they can compensate lacks.

C64 and Amiga are the best computers for doing ... Demo. :|
Showing upstanding stuff you can do with the hardware ... But can't fully be used in-game. "super".

CPC and PC can produce ritch and innovating games if you get out your fingers.
You are not limited by hardware stuff, but by your imagination !
Lets free to make your game specifics sprites and render engine.

It's why PC won, because 3D games can't be done using Amiga specific hardware.
CPC "lose", because it was mostly used as a degraded Speccy ... That all.

In all cases, many people get fun with those computers ! :)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

TMR

Quote from: Xyphoe on 02:40, 28 January 11
LOL!

Nah, I think you might want to stay there a little while longer whilst we get it out our system  :laugh:

Seriously... some of what is being said here is just so factually inaccurate i'm really having to bite my tongue!

arnoldemu

Quote from: TMR on 11:32, 28 January 11
Seriously... some of what is being said here is just so factually inaccurate i'm really having to bite my tongue!
don't. perhaps we need a wake up call?
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

TMR

Quote from: arnoldemu on 11:54, 28 January 11
don't. perhaps we need a wake up call?

No, y'see it's not about wake up calls or anything like that... nah, i'll keep my head down and come back when it's all blown over.