News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

8 Bit Wars 2

Started by Swainy, 16:22, 06 December 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Cholo

Nice listen, kinda knew Amstrad wasnt gonna win as there is 4 games ive never even played .. aka musta been games not really worth mentioning or even "sweep under the carpet" quality. The year 88 limit confuse me as i only see it as a way to limit out the always late amstrad versions. Like take Paperboy that got released a year later. Amstrad being the latecome'r of the 3 systems shouldnt matter. I do understand the 64k vs 128k system issue, but then limit it by that then & not by punishing timelimits.

Did feel Cobra got a very unfair treatment here as ive always felt the game was unfinished but had a LOT of love put into it. Yes it has "bad scrooling" but at least it isnt flipscreen & it a pretty huge screen area as well. Also no one mentioned that not only does it scrool right .. it also scrools left with a slightly different gameplay & different npcs as well.

Lots of nice big sprites like the carport one that features the enemy shooter if you go right but the friendly waving one if you go left. Combat system is indeed a bit weird & feels unfinished, still i feel they tried some kinda 3 level system aka punch high , mid & low .. but never got around to implement it fully. Like you can completely duck the missile shooting enemies but need to "headbutt" the ducks. The difference in the firearms is barely noticeable thou.

Dosnt help that a broken buggy version of Cobra has been all over since like forever & it isnt untill a couple of years ago that a good dump was made. Again not saying this game is the better of the 3 versions, but as always i do wonder in these system comparisons .. how mush is hearsay & how much time did they actually spend themselves testing the games, reading the manual etc.

Same goes for Green Beret. Ive mentioned before that i didnt know Green Beret was a "bad scrooling game" untill i got online & everyone was kind enough to tell me the truth about horrible flipscreen scrooling made the game a unplayable travesty & crushing my innocent delution for 20 years thinking this was a top notch game & having wasted my life playing it for 50+ hours etc etc Anyways, with a game like Green Beret where you have 3 versions that is really close id like to hear the actual differences in gameplay instead of the usual system bias. I mean .. do you get the dogs at the submarine? is the chopper tough? Does the ending compare?

dodogildo

Totally agree with you regarding Green Beret. It was an awesome piece of game for me. I never realized flip screen scrolling was an issue until I read about it 25 years later on a forum thread :)
M'enfin!

Gryzor

I remember playing it on a mate's MSX (must've been one of only a handful in Greece - poor guy, wherever on earth did he get his games from...). It was really lovely; when I played it, years later, on the CPC I was expecting it to be much better; it didn't keep me playing at all, but I don't remember it that bad! Maybe I should try again...

ivarf

Green Beret was quite a good game in my opinion, you had to live with the stops while the next screen scrolled into place and be prepared for whatever was waiting. The scrolling was not a game killer for me. I remember the game as fast and hard.

I am wondering how hard it would be to rewrite the game to be a smooth scrolling game

Zoe Robinson

Green Beret was one of my favourite CPC games at the time. I never noticed the scrolling, it played just like every other game IMO.

TotO

Technicals problems (scroll, glitch, ...) on any computers and consoles in their time, have never avoid players to take fun.  ;D
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)