News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

A small poll for GotY

Started by Gryzor, 17:34, 26 December 18

Previous topic - Next topic

Best Amstrad CPC 464 Game of 2018?

Shadows of Sergoth
13 (34.2%)
Galactic Tomb
5 (13.2%)
Dawn of Kernel
5 (13.2%)
Operation Alexandra
10 (26.3%)
Legend of Steel
3 (7.9%)
Jarlac
0 (0%)
Robbie Strikes Back
2 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Gryzor

Hello guys!

Seeing the results here I thought I'd run the same poll here at the forum and see what people say...

So, best game of the year?

I don't usually do polls, especially "best" ones, but I thought I'd see if and how community opinion differs...

tjohnson

I've not voted yet ,I need to try them before deciding  not played them all 

XeNoMoRPH

your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

andycadley

Tough call, it has been a really great year for new CPC releases.

Gryzor

JayBlood

Shadow of Sergoth is my favourite this year. ;)
Jay

reidrac

Quote from: Gryzor on 17:34, 26 December 18
Hello guys!

Seeing the results here I thought I'd run the same poll here at the forum and see what people say...

So, best game of the year?

I don't usually do polls, especially "best" ones, but I thought I'd see if and how community opinion differs...

"Best Amstrad CPC 464 Game of 2018?"; Shadows of Sergoth is 128K only, isn't it? :D Also they're missing games that should be in the list (IMHO).

I haven't played all games released this year. but to make this fair, I would say that any game listed in CPC Power under 2018 AND game should be in the list.

That can be a lengthy poll, perhaps we can put something on Google forms or similar; but online polls are easy to game, so may be using CPC Wiki forum polls is best.

Or just shout your fav game this year and Gryzor can count votes.

I'm bad deciding favorites, but I think Op Alexandra is my candidate for this year (I'm not going to say Kernel  :P).
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

zapiy

Would everyone please vote on Homebrew Legends too? Want to get this sites input on the results.
Cheers

Targhan

There isn't Deeper Warrens!! Such a crime :).
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

TotO

Quote from: reidrac on 09:58, 27 December 18
"Best Amstrad CPC 464 Game of 2018?"; Shadows of Sergoth is 128K only, isn't it? :D Also they're missing games that should be in the list (IMHO).
May be the topic title should be: "Best Amstrad CPC game of 2018" ? Because, I'm not sure that every listed games exist on TAPE too!?  :-\
By the way, most 464/664 users own today a RAM expansion and a DDI interface to properly run them, if not on emulators.

Shadows of Sergoth is the more polished, probably because it doesn't came from the RetroDev contest and took some years to be produced.
I have liked Deeper Warrens and it is sad to be not listed here as I have more enjoyed it than Operation Alexandra or Jarlac (both requiring extra time to polish the gameplay).
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Arnaud

Quote from: TotO on 10:33, 28 December 18
I have liked Deeper Warrens and it is sad to be not listed here as I have more enjoyed it than Operation Alexandra or Jarlac (both requiring extra time to polish the gameplay).
Quote from: Targhan on 05:07, 28 December 18
There isn't Deeper Warrens!! Such a crime :) .
Thanks a lot guys  :D

reidrac

May be the topic title should be: "Best Amstrad CPC game of 2018" ? Because, I'm not sure that every listed games exist on TAPE too!?  :-\
By the way, most 464/664 users own today a RAM expansion and a DDI interface to properly run them, if not on emulators.

Shadows of Sergoth is the more polished, probably because it doesn't came from the RetroDev contest and took some years to be produced.

Dawn of Kernel is not a CPC Retro Dev game and it is very polished. What do you mean exactly?  :P
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

TotO

Quote from: reidrac on 12:36, 28 December 18
Dawn of Kernel is not a CPC Retro Dev game and it is very polished. What do you mean exactly?  :P
I don't think my sentence said that.  ;D
I have prefered The Shadows of Sergoth on the list as it is more polished (and original) than CPC Retrodev games like Operation Alexandra or Jarlac.

EDIT:
I would like to said that peoples showing promissing games on Retrodev will have better to take the time to rework on the gameplay and gamedesign next.
For me: Shadows of Sergoth >> Dawn of Kernel (not retrodev) or Operation Alexandra (graphics and sound don't made a good game, it is just extra things to be AAA)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Carnivius

Quote from: TotO on 13:41, 28 December 18
For me: Shadows of Sergoth >> Dawn of Kernel (not retrodev) or Operation Alexandra (graphics and sound don't made a good game, it is just extra things to be AAA)
I enjoyed Kernel and Alexandra.  Both really playable (the great graphics and sound are a bonus).  I didn't really care for Sergoth.  It was very well made but I've never liked that kind of game myself so quickly bored.
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

reidrac

I was joking :)

It is true that there are some bits that help making an exceptional game, like graphics and sound, but your GOTY is mostly a matter of personal preference.

I didn't get hooked to any of the games released this year, but some of them were enjoyable in short sessions (e.g. Operation Alexandra).

TotO

Quote from: Carnivius on 17:42, 28 December 18I enjoyed Kernel and Alexandra.  Both really playable (the great graphics and sound are a bonus).  I didn't really care for Sergoth.  It was very well made but I've never liked that kind of game myself so quickly bored.
The Alexandra's player moves, the lack of ennemies variety and originality (blobs???) and the bad idea to have to fire at mid-jump to hit them is problematic for me. By the way, the graphics and music are really greats! About Kernel, it is a fun Cybernoid-Like game to play, with a good ship physic but not enough ennemies and weapons variety into the different areas to be a hit.

Nich

Quote from: TotO on 13:41, 28 December 18
I would like to said that peoples showing promissing games on Retrodev will have better to take the time to rework on the gameplay and gamedesign next.

@cngsoft has done this with his entry, The Adventures of Timothy Gunn (version 5 is the current one at the time of writing).

TotO

Quote from: Nich on 21:38, 28 December 18
@cngsoft has done this with his entry, The Adventures of Timothy Gunn (version 5 is the current one at the time of writing).
Exactly! (that remember me to ask him to swap the bass and melody channels to no more cut the theme while the player shoot at enemies)

mr_lou

Quote from: tjohnson on 19:12, 26 December 18I've not voted yet ,I need to try them before deciding  not played them all

Same for me. Simply haven't had time to play all the new CPC games yet.

And now it's getting a little bit embarrassing, since I got a C64 mini for Christmas, which I then of course have been playing!  :'(

Well let's see. Christmas holidays aren't over yet.  :)

mr_lou

Alright! So I went ahead and played some of the new games today!  :)

Though I've only tried the games briefly, I'm not in doubt. My vote for CPC GOTY goes to "Operation Alexandra".

Awesome graphics, great music that fits really well, and a catchy gameplay. It is rare to see all of these 3 parts having such high quality in one game, and it of course gives an awesome experience.
I know I'll probably be mocked for this, but: It is partly the small details, like the small pause when landing on your feet after a jump, that makes the difference. And it's great when it's not too difficult and not too easy.

I know I'll be playing "Operation Alexandra" a lot more in the near future. Looks like just the kind of game that suits "the CPC Christmas holidays"  :)

I'll of course also return to some of the other games. "Shadows of Sergoth" looks great and plays nicely. It's not my preferred genre, but it definitely deserves a much higher score than what it has received on Homebrew Legends.

The other games are of course also great, but "Operation Alexandra" just has "the touch", so to speak, in my opinion.  :)

skylas

For me, Dawn of Kernel is the best game, as i enjoyed it most, i voted for it.
Alexandra is of course a great game, but what is very important for me is to make a game with the exactly most suitable difficulty.In Kernel, in the start i found it too difficult, but after many tries i got into it completely. Also, there is almost in every screen a way of going on without getting hit (except 2 screens).For me, Alexandra was too difficult, as Profanation 2 last year. I managed to play Alexandra only using Poke, but that wasnt the same as going through without pokes. Of course this may has to do with my skills in palying, but i saw this difficulty in getting on in many live streamings. Also, i didnt like the re-appearance of the enemies when going back, which in Kernel doesnt happen.
Both great games of course, but for me Kernel is the best. You can acquire an excellency in getting on every screen after some repetitions, and  this made it very enjoyable for me.
Web: https://amstradsakis.blogspot.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AmstradSakis
My programs (only BASIC):
RETRO-LOADSHEET ON AMSTRAD CPC!
PENALTY KICKS!
CAPITAL QUIZ!
CAPITAL QUIZ 2! (Reverse edition)
HEADS OR TAILS (ΚΟΡΩΝΑ/ΓΡΑΜΜΑΤΑ)
HEART CHASER 1,2,3!
BARBOUTI!
STROOPIE!
BUDRUMI!
ART WAR!
BATTLE OF LENINGRAD!
AMSTABOO!
RODOLFO SKYLARRIENTE!

mr_lou

It's funny how the level of difficulty in games are perceived so differently. For me, Dawn of Kernel is clearly more difficult than Alexandra. :)

I agree about the re-spawning enemies though.

But maybe I'll change my mind later, like you did. Definitely haven't played my last game of Kernel. But for now, it's Alexandra time. :)

TotO

Shadows of Sergoth is THE Dungeon Master's like game that all fans never got on amstrad with a wonderful content.
It is very responsive with a good simplified D&D one player rules system, an efficient interface and a nice map system.
The difficulty is OK, may be some adjusments will be greats to not make it too easy (potions are sometime useless) ...
By the way, you have around 20 hours of game, that is great adventure for the CPC! (need a box version for this hit)

reidrac

Quote from: TotO on 11:38, 30 December 18
Shadows of Sergoth is THE Dungeon Master's like game that all fans never got on amstrad with a wonderful content.
It is very responsive with a good simplified D&D one player rules system, an efficient interface and a nice map system.
The difficulty is OK, may be some adjusments will be greats to not make it too easy (potions are sometime useless) ...
By the way, you have around 20 hours of game, that is great adventure for the CPC! (need a box version for this hit)

Sure, that's a dungeon crawler. It is a different genre, you can't expect a shooter to be 20 hours long.

As I said, I think this is all down to personal preference. We're looking for the GOTY of the community based on what is the GOTY of each of us.

You can justify easily why *in your opinion* a game does or does not work for you, but in this case it is hard to argue it in absolute terms. IMHO both Op Alexandra and Kernel are good games without fundamental issues, and Sergoth is a great game you may not like if you're not into dungeon crawlers.

You mentioned Alexandra has some uninteresting enemies, and I thought the same at first (and Galactic Tomb suffers of this too); but then the level design, how the base and the alien ship is put together, the adventure element (get/use object), and the production value; I think it is a brilliant game, certainly.

And the points you mentioned re: Kernel. Oh, well... it is not Cybernoid. If you want a more frantic shooter, more "dumb" enemy types and lots of weapons, without the puzzle element of the energy towers / fields and the more strategic gameplay; fair enough: go and play Cybernoid :)

TotO

To be true, I'm not fan about Dungeon Crawler but this one is easy to play with the great realisation.
So, I'm more speaking about gameplay and gamedesign here to vote, than my own taste (shmups).  ;D