News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

A small poll for GotY

Started by Gryzor, 17:34, 26 December 18

Previous topic - Next topic

Best Amstrad CPC 464 Game of 2018?

Shadows of Sergoth
13 (34.2%)
Galactic Tomb
5 (13.2%)
Dawn of Kernel
5 (13.2%)
Operation Alexandra
10 (26.3%)
Legend of Steel
3 (7.9%)
Jarlac
0 (0%)
Robbie Strikes Back
2 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Rhino

Quote from: Gryzor on 17:34, 26 December 18
Hello guys!

Seeing the results here I thought I'd run the same poll here at the forum and see what people say...

So, best game of the year?

I don't usually do polls, especially "best" ones, but I thought I'd see if and how community opinion differs...

It's a good idea! I think these polls are good for motivating people to do better and better games.

However, I think we should wait until the end of the year, as someone might launch a game today/tomorrow and not appear in the polls.

Gryzor

Quote from: Rhino on 14:28, 30 December 18
It's a good idea! I think these polls are good for motivating people to do better and better games.

However, I think we should wait until the end of the year, as someone might launch a game today/tomorrow and not appear in the polls.
I actually wanted to duplicate the other, original poll, otherwise I'd have made it open to entries, but... I guess you know something? [emoji6][emoji6][emoji6]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

reidrac

Quote from: Gryzor on 14:33, 30 December 18
I actually wanted to duplicate the other, original poll, otherwise I'd have made it open to entries, but... I guess you know something? [emoji6][emoji6][emoji6]

The original poll didn't explain why those games are in the list and why others are not; that's why I proposed a more "open" way of voting.

The GOTY is usually a running thing until end of January. I guess Phantomas 2 remake could be released between today and tomorrow.
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

Gryzor

Ok, then let's do a proper GotY come January :)

mr_lou

Quote from: Gryzor on 17:36, 30 December 18
Ok, then let's do a proper GotY come January :)

I know it's probably not possible (?), but I think it would be nice if, instead of picking one single title only, to be able to give points to each game. Like, if the list has 10 titles, then you can give 10 points to one title, 9 points to the next, 8 points to the next, and so on.

Gryzor

Yeah, not feasible unfortunately... We could perhaps use an external service and do it through a web form, but half the fun would be gone [emoji21]

Gryzor

Ok, I did this: http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/cpcwiki-discussion/testing-poll-with-points/

This is more like what was asked, but not quite; in that it turns out it's quite complicated to do a system where you assign 10 points to one option, 9 points to another etc, if you consider the logic behind it. Instead, the voter is given x points and he can assign them any way they please. For instance, in the test I linked to you have ten points to assign to all the options, and I did a 5-4-1 vote. I could also do ten 1-point votes or one 10-point vote.

Is that better?

TotO

It was great when "Push'N Pop" does it into the past... May be "Memory Full" will do again?
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

mr_lou

Looks good.

The only problem with this is, that a lot of people would probably just use all 10 points for their favourite game, worried that it wouldn't reach the best score otherwise.

Is there any way to you set a max score for each?
For example, give everyone 50 points to share - but allow them to maximum give 10 to each game?

Gryzor

Yes, you can restrict the maximum points given to a single entry.

So, I was thinking, perhaps if we have, say, 5 games and scoring was, say, 10-8-7-6-5 points from #1 through #5, each voter would be assigned 36 points to assign as they wish.

mr_lou

Yes, that could work. Although it would also allow people to assign 10-10-10-6, but that would be fine too I think.

Gryzor

Yes, I know. Unfortunately I can't check for minimum number of voted-for options as you mean it, but I thought, if this 'risk' is spread over all the users the resulting skewness kind of evens out, hopefully.

zapiy

Afternoon all,

I would like to take a few moments to clarify a few things, I am the owner of both HBL and RVG websites, over the last year or so I have become fond of the CPC, HBL was created to help promote this homebrew scene and bring all the systems under one site, a database of sorts, that may be an impossible task but its one I am hoping to achieve and I am after some help if any kind souls here are interested, anyway, as I said the past 12 mths I played those games in the poll list, I thought in this instance it would be best to do a poll on games that I knew and understood, going forward that will change, I hope to discuss further options with Gryzor and perhaps do a joint poll for 2019.
I hope that at least explains the game choices, the poll itself was slighly confusing for me too, I never expected the results I got and it was only the last few days of the poll that pushed Galactic Tomb to be the winner. Some may not agree, it is about personal preference though and 54 people out of a total of 207 votes chose that game. I believe its a worthy winner because its a cracking game at the end of the day.

reidrac

That's a lot of votes!
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

Vyper68

Well I went for Dawn of Kernel. It's a better game than Operation Alexandra or Jarlac and Shergoth never appealed to me. Just my two 'penneth
Paul Woakes - Genius & Programmer

Thank you for Mercenary Paul

Gryzor

Right, should we start on the nominations then? :)