News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Adding an intro to Operation Wolf.

Started by MacDeath, 18:21, 14 November 12

Previous topic - Next topic

MacDeath

Musicman3512 made some mode for operation wolf so the game features the animated intro cinematics as on the Arcade original game.

Of course this could need some extra work and can be done betterly by a real coder, but still, the idea is great.

This was posted in a topic at CPCrulez (in french) and you can download the .dsk file there.

http://cpcrulez.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4960
as usual we go a long way into what could be done betterly, but still it's good to have this already.

(to download the file, check the very firts post in the topic)

Post Editr :
I got the authorization from "Musicman" so I put this here too.

arnoldemu

Quote from: MacDeath on 18:21, 14 November 12
Musicman3512 made some mode for operation wolf so the game features the animated intro cinematics as on the Arcade original game.

Of course this could need some extra work and can be done betterly by a real coder, but still, the idea is great.

This was posted in a topic at CPCrulez (in french) and you can download the .dsk file there.

http://cpcrulez.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4960
as usual we go a long way into what could be done betterly, but still it's good to have this already.

(to download the file, check the very firts post in the topic)
attachment can't be downloaded unless you are a member of cpcrulez forum ;)

Please attach here?
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

MacDeath

Nice try... why don't you register there ?
(I must admit i'm doing some marketing prospection for Hermol... I'm even paid millions for this)
ok it's in French... I guess the rest of the world doesn't speak it. :laugh:

Well, i need authorization from the author to upload this here.
I will ask him.

Post Edition :
ok, He told me I could post the file here... here you are, check my first post.

NiNxPe

TotO

Quote from: MacDeath on 18:21, 14 November 12Of course this could need some extra work and can be done betterly by a real coder, but still, the idea is great.
The Ocean logo is too big and need to press a key to be skiped. It's really strange. Then the intro run so fast... Why releasing this version w/o adding the good timing loops? It's the only extra work to do and not difficult for a beginner.
In all case, it's a nice work. :)

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

tastefulmrship

Quote from: TotO on 09:06, 02 December 12
The Ocean logo is too big and need to press a key to be skiped. It's really strange. Then the intro run so fast... Why releasing this version w/o adding the good timing loops? It's the only extra work to do and not difficult for a beginner.
Some very minor things from me;
- I don't think the OCEAN logo is too big, but it would have been nice to have it palette fade-in and out; it's using the blue palette colours anyway, so the fade won't look too bad if done at the right speed.
- I agree that the keypresses are a little strange on the logo screens; maybe a simple pause is needed instead.
- A pause between each animation segment would slow down the intro running so fast. So; laces up, pause, clear screen. Sheath knife, pause, clear screen, etc. These segments alone are really, really well done in MODE 0 and they deserve more time on screen! ^_^
- For me there are possibly too many BASIC programs loaded; either merge them into one or use a single BINARY file to load and execute each section (Ocean logo, intro, title logo, title screen, cheat-mode & game).

Quote from: TotO on 09:06, 02 December 12
In all case, it's a nice work. :)
It is a very nice work, indeed! Far better than ANYTHING I could ever do... or dream of doing! Top job!

TotO

Quote from: tastefulmrship on 10:54, 02 December 12I don't think the OCEAN logo is too big, but it would have been nice to have it palette fade-in and out; it's using the blue palette colours anyway, so the fade won't look too bad if done at the right speed.
- I agree that the keypresses are a little strange on the logo screens; maybe a simple pause is needed instead.
- A pause between each animation segment would slow down the intro running so fast. So; laces up, pause, clear screen. Sheath knife, pause, clear screen, etc. These segments alone are really, really well done in MODE 0 and they deserve more time on screen! ^_^
Yes, all those details will make the intro better. (just looking the original arcade version... And why not the famous MODE5 picture as title screen? ;)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

steve

Ecery time I see mode5 I wonder what it means, I have found out but forgotten by the next time it appears, so maybe Gryzor could make any mention of mode 5 become a link to the wiki where it is explained, please. :)

tastefulmrship

Quote from: steve on 20:14, 02 December 12
Ecery time I see mode5 I wonder what it means, I have found out but forgotten by the next time it appears, so maybe Gryzor could make any mention of mode 5 become a link to the wiki where it is explained, please. :)
Video modes - CPCWiki Bottom of the page has a quick 1-line definition of MODE5.
However, search on this forum for a better explanation by the man who created it, SyX.

SyX

I think that you will understand better with an example. A mode 5 picture has two parts, the bitmap data and the colour data (or rasters).

The bitmap data is a simple mode 1 picture as this:
[attach=2]
And while the CPC is showing that picture, we change the colours synchronized with the CRT raster scan for getting the next result:
[attach=3]
These are a pair of examples without a bitmap, and i'm sure that you will understand when the colours are changed:
[attach=4][attach=5]
And a mosaic with the first pictures that i converted with my old tool while i was creating the FX :)
[attach=6]

Gryzor

Just watched the intro; I agree with all the points, but it looks lovely indeed!

And I got to listen to the tune again... *bliss*

MacDeath

Perhaps a page for the "software video modes" could be a nice idea (out of topic, but hey, CPCwiki related) so concepts such as Mode5 and "flashouilles" or even overscan+raster could be well explained...

the Atari 8 bit computer community is a lot into "software video modes"... but they have no choice or else their computer would only be like amstrad CPC's Mode3 (160x200x4... lol)

I mean, the 320x200x4 limitation is far from being a real limit as we know it.

"Mode5" actually means "Mode1 with infinite Raster and heavy Split raster use".
it is somewhat what Mode1 should be concerning still pictures... sadly unusable in real games (but cinematic pictures I guess)
It is a way to add some sort of "attributes", despite not "character attributes"...
I suppose it  still need to be well synchronised too...?

This said, this Op.wolf intro is great, sadly it is like a media reader (= not really coded) and the pixel art wasn't well refined...
Musicman is not a coder (nor am I) and just did it as he could with modern tools, but the spirit is here...

Also the pixel art despite being straightly ported, is far from bad.
That's the sort of details we would have loved to get on all CPC6128 versions (or just disk versions anyway).

Mr. DVG

Intro fabulous and very impressive, shame about the excessive speed of execution and the inability to see her again cyclically ... nice logo "Operation Wolf" in mode 1 (4 colors), even if I were I would have added a nice screen, converted directly from the arcade version, replacing the old low-resolution ... ;)

MacDeath

dcdrac

Now that took me right back....

Gryzor