News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad 6128-only/128k games?

Started by drakon, 10:37, 10 May 18

Previous topic - Next topic

drakon

Hi folks.
I'm a new Amstrad user. Is there any list of 6128 only/128k games? Or simply games that use expanded memory?
Thanks in advance!
https://www.facebook.com/Magia8bitow/
https://www.facebook.com/RetroKlinika/
A1200 / Apollo 060@80Mhz / 32 MB / 16GB SD
C64C / 4 x kernal / SD2IEC / Easy Flash 3 / MixSID / LumaFix / Mssiah + 2xC64C + C64G
Atari 65 XE / SIO2SD / Dual Pokey
AMstrad CPC 6128 / Zax Drive
..and many others.

http://www.soundkiller.bandcamp.com

Carnivius

CPC Power can be searched and filtered for a list.
http://www.cpc-power.com/index.php?page=database&lettre=all&lemot=extended%ram
For some reason I couldn't get a proper link with the category set to GAME but you can do that yourself by selecting it from the boxes. :)
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

zeropolis79

Here a few:

The Pawn
Guild of Thieves
Corruption
Jinxter
The Addams Family
Final Fight
Pirates
The Untouchables (128 enhancements)
B.A.T
Iron Lord (if you can read French)
S.W.I.V

ukmarkh

ChaseHQ, Robocop, Renegade, Gryzor, Operation Wolf and many more take advantage of 128k. I think Dragon Ninja does as well, there's quite a few from memory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlfrsilver

Quote from: zeropolis79 on 10:30, 13 May 18
Here a few:

The Pawn
Guild of Thieves
Corruption
Jinxter
The Addams Family
Final Fight
Pirates
The Untouchables (128 enhancements)
B.A.T
Iron Lord (if you can read French)
S.W.I.V

Iron Lord is a 64kb game. Not 128 :)

Lazy Dude

Quote from: ukmarkh on 11:21, 13 May 18
ChaseHQ, Robocop, Renegade, Gryzor, Operation Wolf and many more take advantage of 128k. I think Dragon Ninja does as well, there's quite a few from memory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only have the 64k download of Op Wolf. what version are we packing on the wiki to download?

||C|-|E||

As far as I remember (I may be wrong) Operation Wolf uses the extra memory to load all the levels in a row, no matter if you have the disc or tape version. Back in the 80s I had the tape version and loading the game in my CPC6128 was taking a looong time.

On the other hand, and just to add a couple more, Paris Dakar from Zigurat has a 128KB version and our adventure can only be played in a 128KB computer  :)

Shaun M. Neary

Hmmm,

- Shinobi used 128k for music and sound effects. There were none at all on the 64k.
- Hard Drivin was also silent on the 64k machine, however I don't believe a 128k tape version of this exists.
- Chase HQ loaded all the levels in one, and gave additional speech. Dragonninja was the same.
- Spellbound Dizzy and Wild West Seymour (can't be sure about Seymour Goes To Hollywood) all had 128k enhancements, more animation.
- Grell and Falla also used the extra 64k.
- A lot of Ocean multiloaders from 87-90 loaded in one go on 128k machines. Combat School and Platoon spring to mind. Why US Gold never adopted this policy, I've no idea.

That's all I got off the top of my head. :)
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

VincentGR

Double Dragon (the good version)
Stunt Car Racer (64-128 version)

DanyPPC

Xiphoes Fantasy
The Shadows of Sergoth
Cuahtemoc
Zap T Balls
R-Type Remake 128k
Nigel Mansell
Super Edge Grinder
Out of This World
Star Sabre 128k
CPC 464 with USB Floppy Emulator / CPC 464+ with USB Floppy Emulator / CPC 6128+ with C4CPC and Gotek HxC USB Drive Emulator

drakon

https://www.facebook.com/Magia8bitow/
https://www.facebook.com/RetroKlinika/
A1200 / Apollo 060@80Mhz / 32 MB / 16GB SD
C64C / 4 x kernal / SD2IEC / Easy Flash 3 / MixSID / LumaFix / Mssiah + 2xC64C + C64G
Atari 65 XE / SIO2SD / Dual Pokey
AMstrad CPC 6128 / Zax Drive
..and many others.

http://www.soundkiller.bandcamp.com

MiguelSky

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 14:23, 23 May 18Paris Dakar from Zigurat has a 128KB version
Really? Do you know which are the differences?

||C|-|E||

Nope! I will have a look! I read about the 128KB long ago and I forgot what the difference is. Something about music comes to my mind, but I am not really sure...  :picard:

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 15:48, 23 May 18
Hmmm,

- Shinobi used 128k for music and sound effects. There were none at all on the 64k.
- Hard Drivin was also silent on the 64k machine, however I don't believe a 128k tape version of this exists.

Indeed. Tape version appears to be 64k only hence is silent even if played on a 6128.

How many extra bytes did it need to make an engine noise anyway?  :doh:
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 15:39, 25 May 18

Indeed. Tape version appears to be 64k only hence is silent even if played on a 6128.

How many extra bytes did it need to make an engine noise anyway?  :doh:

To be fair, the title tune is also good, but I can't imagine how it needed 128k.
It reeked of lazy programming tbh
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

ZbyniuR

I think ChaseHQ and Robocop working on 64K but without speaking samples sounds.
In STARS, TREK is better than WARS.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: ZbyniuR on 21:14, 25 May 18
I think ChaseHQ and Robocop working on 64K but without speaking samples sounds.

They did, same with Dragonninja.

zeropolis79

I'm sure I ran Gremlin's Nigel Mansell on an unexpanded 664...

Cholo

128k only games:
- Baby Jo Going Home
- Gunboat River Combat Simulator (Accolade)
- Doomsday Lost Echoes
- Double Dragon & Double Dragon 2 (the good Richard Aplin version, to to be confused by the bad 64k version)

Takes advantage of the extra ram or has special 128k version
- Hero Quest, Quite (in)famous this one as Amstrad Action put a demo of it on a cover cassette and told everyone to "listen to the awesome tune" however even the demo only plays music if it sees the extra ram. Bit of a woopsie.
- Hard Drivin' also does the music thing.
- Batman the Movie also does the "load all levels"

Bunch of Level 9 adventures has 128k versions, like i recall the  Silicon Dreams compilation (Snowball, Return to Eden, The Worm in Paradise) has more txt & added images on the 6128 disc version (also has multiformats PCW/spec 3+ often but that is another story).

Fun fact: There is also 64k only versions as the 464 came first, then the 6128 came and even thou it has an extra 64k expansion, then the first main 64k still has less free space than on the 464 (as the 6128 added new commands etc). So some 464 games simply wont fit in a 6128 main memory also some games used memory CRC check as a early anti-hacking/cracking-prevention & refuse to load on a 6128.

kawickboy

Gryzor has his famous tune only available on a 128ko CPC
Hawk Storm (same as Gryzor)

Many french games are 128ko only too:
Targhan
Windsurf Wily
GP500 2

Super Cauldron&Prehistorik 2 are really downgraded on their tape 64ko release.
Eswat is one the few USGold games with 128ko enhancements: on a 64ko CPC the window is really tiny.
Gauntlet 3
G-Loc
Exterminator has a 2 players mode on 128ko only.

Maybe Klax too.

zeropolis79

And sadly 128k memory doesn't help ESWAT..
I thought you could run G-Loc on a 464...