News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad disk only games?

Started by Xyphoe, 09:16, 10 February 17

Previous topic - Next topic

Xyphoe

Hi guys, is there a list anywhere of games that was only released on disk or 6128 specific (no tape version) for the Amstrad?

Couldn't find one in the wiki, nor searching the forum.

Probably most of them would come from French/German publishers.

eg going through the list of UBI Soft games I believe the following were released on disk only -

B.A.T.
Defender Of The Crown

Just interested for a project I'm working on. :)

Shaun M. Neary

I could be wrong on this, but weren't Kriegers games (Prehistorik II, Super Cauldron and Zap T' Balls) all disk only as well?
I don't think I ever saw tape versions of those.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Xyphoe

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 09:25, 10 February 17
I could be wrong on this, but weren't Kriegers games (Prehistorik II, Super Cauldron and Zap T' Balls) all disk only as well?
I don't think I ever saw tape versions of those.

Believe it or not, but Prehistorik II and Super Cauldron got cassette releases! That must be super rare and pricey.
Zap T' Balls was disk only (including the Advanced version) so good call on that one.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Xyphoe on 09:43, 10 February 17
Believe it or not, but Prehistorik II and Super Cauldron got cassette releases! That must be super rare and pricey.

I imagine the load times would be painful too...

Also the 128k versions of Double Dragon? I know we hashed this one out before a year ago, but I think it was only the dodgy Spanish 64k versions that saw a cassette release?
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Shaun M. Neary

Another one for you - Radical Software's 'Who Said That?' saw a disk only release in 1994.

villain

There was no tape version of Megablasters. :-)

||C|-|E||

I can tell you, first hand, that Doomsday Lost Echoes only works in a CPC 6128 or a 6128 Plus  :D

ldaneels

Good luck with the search, there are literally hundreds of softwares that are disk only on CPC (and vice and versa, I might say).

dlfrsilver

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 09:54, 10 February 17

I imagine the load times would be painful too...

Also the 128k versions of Double Dragon? I know we hashed this one out before a year ago, but I think it was only the dodgy Spanish 64k versions that saw a cassette release?

They are perfectly ok, since elmar used custom tape routines :) those games loads fast on my 464 and 464 plus.

Tolkin

Hy,
i remember, Pirates! which was a Disc only release.

chinnyhill10

--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

villain

Xyphoes (!) Fantasy, probably.

Cholo

Baby Joe & Jim Power is disc only.
Addams Family is 6128 only i think, i does exist on cassette though both original & budget re-release. Did try to load that one on a 464 with a 64k ram expansion but couldnt get it to work (i think it tries to load the whole thing in one go).

Also i try to remember some french only, disc only game that was even hyped even in AA magazine at some point. Was like a bit like Defender of the crown with knights. Everyone really wants a english tranlation of it but alas the french dialogue is kinda "hardcoded" as images & not letters.

May not be interesting but there is lots of 464 only games as well i recall. Not just because of the different basic but also that the 464 actually has more free base memory, anti mf2 or piracy memory checks where games will not load unless it reads like a freshly booted 464 etc.

||C|-|E||

Quote from: Cholo on 00:15, 17 February 17
Also i try to remember some french only, disc only game that was even hyped even in AA magazine at some point. Was like a bit like Defender of the crown with knights. Everyone really wants a english tranlation of it but alas the french dialogue is kinda "hardcoded" as images & not letters.

Iron Lord?  :)

Cholo

Deeko

Quote from: Cholo on 00:15, 17 February 17
Baby Joe & Jim Power is disc only.

I had Baby Jo on tape back in day.

Does Space Gun count or are you looking for games that could run on old systems as well, seeing that was 6128+ only Xyphoe?

SRS

Neil79

Quote from: Tolkin on 13:38, 12 February 17
Hy,
i remember, Pirates! which was a Disc only release.

And I have it  :o
The latest in Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

AMSDOS

The home brew game Trakers by Scott & Gary Kennedy is only available on Disc and AAs review of it in Issue 95 on pages 44/45 confirm it as being Disc Only. They did some Home brew games like, another game I recall being Stellar Outpost, CPC-Power only has Disk Images of that game, though have a funny feeling it was available on Cassette. Indeed the game was reviewed by AA in Issue 99 and said it would be available on Cassette for £4.99 and £6.49 on Disk. Along with Stellar Outpost in Issue 99 (on pages 30 & 31) of AA, a number of other Home brew programs were also available through Crystal X Software, though their service also provides for Cassette.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

arnoldemu

Has anyone said "Eve of Shadows" by Rob Buckley. I believe this adventure was disc only.

Has anyone mentioned Pirates? I think that was disc only?
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

AMSDOS

Quote from: arnoldemu on 11:48, 20 February 17

Has anyone mentioned Pirates? I think that was disc only?

@Tolkin mentioned Pirates at the bottom of Page 1 of this topic!  8)
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

ukmarkh

Quote from: AMSDOS on 10:44, 20 February 17
The home brew game Trakers by Scott & Gary Kennedy

Trakers was home-brew? I have it on disk, professionally put together. This game is really good, but you will need to map it to progress, unless you use mass amounts of trial and error. I know every location inside out, sad really but this was one of the only games I was into at the time, there's only so many times I can play the Dizzy games.

There was another game around the same time, Reckless Rufus on disk, I think it was a tank game, not sure if this received a cassette release.

Did Nigel Mansell's World Championship from Gremlin ever appear on disk?

I also have a game called Bally Hoo or something along those lines, question marks for that game as well.

zeropolis79

Quote from: ukmarkh on 15:42, 21 February 17
Did Nigel Mansell's World Championship from Gremlin ever appear on disk?

Yes, it was on disc. I have it.. I always believed that was disc only but I've seen a tape version on eBay.

Infocom ames were disc only, Rainbird Magnetic Scrolls games were disc only.

Space Gun was disc only.

||C|-|E||

Some of those text adventures rely on real time loading, true... they had a propietary engine and I do not know how it works though.

Tolkin

Many Rainbird Games where on Cassette too. Sometimes cut in parts, to fit into memory, on different cassettes.
#
KnightOrc was very funny with another interesting thing. The CPC Disc have the Joyce Version on it (but does not mention it in the Manual or on the package)(like late games which hav CPC an Spectrum Versions on one disc, but on different sides). Both Versions of Knight Orc share much of the GameCode, but have different GFX on both machines. (But i think it was released on the tape too, on three of them.)