News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Astonishing and enigmatic pics from BatmanGroup!!

Started by Joseman, 20:27, 12 June 17

Previous topic - Next topic

ivarf

Quote from: dlfrsilver on 08:27, 17 June 17

the c64 folks are going to be VERY angry about that  :laugh:  !

Beware ! XD

There have been several C64 fanboys on Youtube claiming that no CPC game updates at 50Hz

arnoldemu

Quote from: ivarf on 09:59, 17 June 17

There have been several C64 fanboys on Youtube claiming that no CPC game updates at 50Hz
That is incorrect as we know.

Mission Genocide is 50Hz. 50hz display, 50hz logic/game update. :)

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: dlfrsilver on 08:27, 17 June 17

the c64 folks are going to be VERY angry about that  :laugh:  !

Beware ! XD

If your games took 30 minutes to load from an external tape deck and had a palette that was as bland as butter, you'd be angry too  :laugh: :laugh:
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

EgoTrip

Quote from: Rhino on 00:51, 17 June 17
We have still seen very little of what the CPC can do  :)

If only all this was 30 years ago.

tjohnson

Wow after 30 years the rivalry still continues.....

AxelStone

Quote from: EgoTrip on 18:21, 17 June 17
If only all this was 30 years ago.

You are right man, CPC was the garbage colletor for Spectrum: every game was designed for Spectrum and badly ported to CPC only adding colours. CPC has demostrated that has more features than simply add color.

dlfrsilver

Quote from: tjohnson on 19:27, 17 June 17
Wow after 30 years the rivalry still continues.....

At this point, this is not really rivalry :)

The CPC has really been underused. What happens, is that the CPC was almost a 16 bits machine.

It doesn't have the sid chip, but it can do very good musics. We have tons of examples :)

tjohnson

Quote from: dlfrsilver on 20:57, 17 June 17

At this point, this is not really rivalry :)

The CPC has really been underused. What happens, is that the CPC was almost a 16 bits machine.

It doesn't have the sid chip, but it can do very good musics. We have tons of examples :)

What make it almost a 16 bit machine?

AxelStone

Quote from: tjohnson on 22:35, 17 June 17

Perhaps not 16bit, but CPC is much better than seen during comercial life. Look for example what can do:
[/url]

And compare with the commercial game:
[/url]

A speccy port!!! There is a lot of homebrew examples where you can see that CPC was really a very advanced machine with a powerful VDP, but this VDP never was used, CPC was programed as a simple Z80 machine (like Speccy).

tjohnson

That demo looks impressive but there is no actual gameplay, shame that the demo didn't turn into a real game.  The actual game looks pretty horrible with speccy graphics.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Skunkfish

I think the the real game looks pretty good. Yes, it's Mode 1, but far nicer than the monochromatic Speccy version.
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

AxelStone

Quote from: tjohnson on 12:25, 18 June 17
That demo looks impressive but there is no actual gameplay, shame that the demo didn't turn into a real game.  The actual game looks pretty horrible with speccy graphics.

What about Edge Grinder?
[/url]

Full color shoter with smoth scroll and full of action. CPC is very capable machine when used correctly.

andycadley

Quote from: tjohnson on 12:25, 18 June 17
It looks good as a representation of the upper level (although lacks much of the foreground objects) but I'm not convinced it would have translated into the remainder of the game which is a much more traditional platforming effort. It does show that the CPC was capable of some impressive tricks in the right circumstances.

AxelStone

Quote from: andycadley on 22:37, 18 June 17
It looks good as a representation of the upper level (although lacks much of the foreground objects) but I'm not convinced it would have translated into the remainder of the game which is a much more traditional platforming effort. It does show that the CPC was capable of some impressive tricks in the right circumstances.

Yes between a demo and a real game there is a big difference, you need to add game logic, enemies IAs, etc and most probably it would be simpler than video. However the purpose of the video is simply to show that CPC has a capable VDP, it's not simply "Speccy with more colours".

EgoTrip

Quote from: AxelStone on 07:23, 19 June 17

Yes between a demo and a real game there is a big difference, you need to add game logic, enemies IAs, etc and most probably it would be simpler than video. However the purpose of the video is simply to show that CPC has a capable VDP, it's not simply "Speccy with more colours".

You mean "Speccy with less colours" because most Speccy ports were 4 colours, or even monochrome.

dlfrsilver

Quote from: tjohnson on 22:35, 17 June 17

his graphics ability + its custom VDP.

Well programmed, the CPC is best out of the 3 main 8 bits machines.

roudoudou

Quote from: dlfrsilver on 13:11, 19 June 17
Well programmed, the CPC is best out of the 3 main 8 bits machines.

In my heart it's the best but honnestly it lacks a textmode to get a super-speed refresh
My pronouns are RASM and ACE

Joseman

Quote from: EgoTrip on 11:23, 19 June 17
You mean "Speccy with less colours" because most Speccy ports were 4 colours, or even monochrome.

That's not correct and not fair, MOST speccy games are 2 colors to avoid the color-clash disaster, and here the CPC loses 2 colors (in mode 1), and where the games use all the colors on speccy they look HORRIBLE and burning-eye-color-clash monstrosity, this way the CPC 4 color version is way better just because this horrible effect.

No mention to mode 1 / 16 colors rasters or simply the mode 0 / 16 colors of the amstrad that simply destroy the not-vdp speccy character display.

AxelStone

Quote from: EgoTrip on 11:23, 19 June 17

You mean this

against this

>:( >:( >:(

Joseman

Quote from: AxelStone on 15:13, 19 June 17

You mean this [...]

But that's no CPC fault, the ceiling and the floor can be rasterized on CPC as the ship nor the bullets touch that parts (extra colors), the rest of the graphics can be recolored and use dithering technics to simulate more colors, and the hiper-mega-black-box that the engine on the spectrum do to avoid the color clash.. come on, that's no serious  :laugh:

and again, without comment on mode 0 graphics (r-type 128k remake)

AxelStone

Quote from: Joseman on 17:21, 19 June 17
But that's no CPC fault, the ceiling and the floor can be rasterized on CPC as the ship nor the bullets touch that parts (extra colors), the rest of the graphics can be recolored and use dithering technics to simulate more colors, and the hiper-mega-black-box that the engine on the spectrum do to avoid the color clash.. come on, that's no serious  :laugh:

We are talking preciselly about that, CPC was underused during commercial life, most games were simple Spectrum ports and sometimes even using less colours.

tjohnson

Quote from: Joseman on 17:21, 19 June 17

Interesting, how does rasterizing allow the use of more colours?

Joseman

Quote from: tjohnson on 19:57, 19 June 17

Interesting, how does rasterizing allow the use of more colours?

changing the ink with precise timing, look unpredictaball with mode 1 and 16 colors:

I have been playing this game for 2 days and even the feeling is not being playing on a CPC but an EGA PC!!  :laugh:

andycadley

Quote from: AxelStone on 15:13, 19 June 17

You mean this

against this

>:( >:( >:(
R-Type is unusual in it's use of colour on the Spectrum though. The vast majority of titles, particularly those that scroll, are monochrome.

tjohnson

Quote from: Joseman on 20:02, 19 June 17
changing the ink with precise timing, look unpredictaball with mode 1 and 16 colors:

I have been playing this game for 2 days and even the feeling is not being playing on a CPC but an EGA PC!!  [emoji23]
Does that mean that the ink is changed after a specific scanline of part section of the screen is drawn?   In that way it is possible to have more colours visible than would otherwise be possible?