Author Topic: Astonishing and enigmatic pics from BatmanGroup!!  (Read 5717 times)

Offline Rhino

• CPC6128
  • Liked: 366
Re: Astonishing and enigmatic pics from BatmanGroup!!
« Reply #80 on: 23:06, 19 July 17 »
Of course I'd like to see Pinball Dreams finished as soon as possible.  It's looking great.
There's no rush on my projects.  Just that seeing this has me rethinking the frame rates, sprite movement speeds and scrolling of all the CPC-projects I've been designing  like when I've been making the PC 'mock up' prototype things of the games I've been purposely running them at a slower frame rate like 17 or so and scrolling in lots of 2 mode 0 pixels.. and most of them are simple left and right two way scrolling things anyways like the RoboCop fan-sequel. This demo has me thinking that amazingly they don't actually need to run that chunky at all.  I stil don't get how you've done it when so many CPC games haven't.  Where was this in the 80s?  :P

Thanks!
There is a very direct relation between fps and the amount and size of sprites required by a game,  so I think you've done well in estimating that speed if your games require a good amount/size of sprites. On the other hand, that is not a bad speed, almost all the Bitmap Brother's games on Amiga run at that speed or less.

But Amstrad can also make good scrolling games at 50 fps, and I mean games with a certain complexity. In part, it's something I try to show with Pinball Dreams. Which has had a great reception, but you can still see people from other platforms claim that CPC may be good for vertical pixel scroll but not for horizontal while it's a matter where the CPC still has a lot to say.

Offline Morri

• CPC6128
  • Liked: 205
« Reply #81 on: 23:09, 19 July 17 »
Thanks for the feedback!

@Morri
That is the idea, publish the engine when finished so other developers can use it.
Well, if you ever decide to make it accessible via BASIC, then I'm in!  ;D
Keeping it Kiwi since 1977

Offline Xyphoe

• 6128 Plus
    • GX4000.CO.UK
  • Liked: 212
« Reply #82 on: 23:48, 19 July 17 »
Awesome!!!!!

Can't wait for this.

Done a quick YouTube video to help promote and spread the word for you... :)

Offline Joseman

• 6128 Plus
  • Liked: 475
« Reply #83 on: 14:39, 20 July 17 »
Awesome!!!!!

Can't wait for this.

Done a quick YouTube video to help promote and spread the word for you... :)

Keep an eye and take care on Nintendo and his IP's, i think that they don't like too much that mario enter on foreign machines  :laugh:

Offline Puresox

• 6128 Plus
  • Liked: 242
« Reply #84 on: 18:23, 20 July 17 »
I expect if Nintendo got it involved it would be more beneficial than not tbh. A load of publicity , and then A quick ok we bow to your requests and alter name/graphics. They can hardly say jack if you're not making money from it? Surely?

Offline Sykobee (Briggsy)

• 6128 Plus
  • Liked: 183
« Reply #85 on: 18:49, 20 July 17 »
Nintendo crack down hard on this type of thing unfortunately.

Maybe an 8-bit computer mostly popular in Europe would stay under the radar for a while.

Probably better to keep the core game concepts but with different graphics and maps from the start.

Offline Carnivius

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
  • Mayhem Attack Squad
    • index.php?action=treasury
  • Liked: 853
« Reply #86 on: 19:04, 20 July 17 »
oh is it an actual Mario game?  I thought it was just the Mario stuff just for testing so you get a good idea of what it can do. 
Favorite CPC games: SwitchBlade, Stryker in the Crypts of Trogan, Turrican II, UN Squadron, Oh Mummy

Offline Rhino

• CPC6128
  • Liked: 366
« Reply #87 on: 20:42, 20 July 17 »
Thanks for the video!

I'm not worried about Nintendo since Mario's theme has only been used for evaluation purposes of an engine demo. As commented in an earlier message, as far as I know, the first game that will use this engine is not planned to be a Mario conversion.

But, once the engine be published, any developer can use it to do Super Mario Bros or anything else. By the way, I think GinBlog82 is going ahead with its project of doing SMB on CPC, and I do not want to shadow his project.

http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/games/super-mario-bros-on-cpc-464-still-alive!/

Offline Joseman

• 6128 Plus
  • Liked: 475
« Reply #88 on: 21:00, 20 July 17 »
But, once the engine be published, any developer can use it to do Super Mario Bros or anything else. By the way, I think GinBlog82 is going ahead with its project of doing SMB on CPC, and I do not want to shadow his project.

http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/games/super-mario-bros-on-cpc-464-still-alive!/

Maybe he can use this engine with his SMB project? Can anyone contact and talk to him about this?

I don't know at what stage his project is, but if @GinBlog82 use this engine and other person(s) do the graphics (we have very good graphic designers around here) the SMB project can be finished!

What can we do to encourage people to help in this project to be finished??

Offline Xifos

• CPC664
  • Liked: 107
« Reply #89 on: 18:59, 21 July 17 »
Sorry for the technical question but...
I suppose you're using crtc register 3 for byte horizontal hardware scrolling, but how do you manage mode 0 pixel scrolling ?
With preshifted buffers, but not using double buffering ?

Great demo anyway !
 :)