News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Bubble Bobble remake? (BB4CPC)

Started by Xyphoe, 06:54, 05 January 11

Previous topic - Next topic

rexbeng

Quote from: Gryzor on 17:34, 16 September 12
Am I the only one who can't see a difference??

Αππάρεντλι, γιες  :P

On the "which color" topic, my money is on magenta too.

ρβ

TotO

Quote from: phi2x on 13:10, 16 September 12
My advice is: don't trust emulator screenshots to make your palette choices.
If you can, always use a real CPC with a CTM monitor for that. The color differences can be very noticeable.
And my advice is, don't trust a 20 years old greenish tired CTM to make a color choice...
Better to use an good RGB CRT TV, then an emulator with "real palette", because the colors are more accurates.
At end, all CTM users will get a different render. (not speaking about the luminosity setting too...)

Looking screens I prefert the seconds here, for sprite bodies and less flashy level platforms. (palette color 7)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

MaV

Quote from: rexbeng on 19:03, 16 September 12
Αππάρεντλι, γιες  :P
χεγι, θισ ισ φυν! :D
Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

Gryzor

MaV

Quote from: Gryzor on 10:07, 17 September 12
not quite there :)
Next try:
χεγι, θισ ισ φαν!

The question is whether to write phonetically or transcribe from English letter by letter. I'm also not sure how to write the th but a simple θ would suffice, I guess.

Gryzor

Μπέττερ :)

True, but "th" in "this" is not pronnounced as a theta but rather as a delta, soft. Also the gamma in "hey" is not transcribed, hence: "χέι, δις ις φαν". Also "is" can probably be "ιζ" :)

MaV

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:16, 17 September 12
True, but "th" in "this" is not pronnounced as a theta but rather as a delta, soft. Also the gamma in "hey" is not transcribed, hence: "χέι, δις ις φαν". Also "is" can probably be "ιζ" :)
Ah, ok. I forgot that New Greek δ is a fricative just like the voiced th in English - and unlike the d in "dust". I was thinking of combining theta with m to produce a voiced th. ;)  λαικ μθισ

Gryzor

If I'm not mistaken δ was a plosive dental consonant, but even that is debatable (and then again, what *is* ancient Greek?).

But I don't understand the μθ combo, it would still be pronounced μι-θήτα and not δελτα...?

This is the second glossological discussion thus far in the wiki :D

Bryce

And only slightly off topic. Or did I miss the post where they announced BB4CPC will be released in English, French and Ancient Greek? :D

Bryce.

Gryzor

You know, the exact moment I read that last part a "Wow!" was heard from a radio commercial. Yes, it would be superb. Also, please do an ancient Greece level :D

MaV

Quote from: Bryce on 13:06, 17 September 12
And only slightly off topic. Or did I miss the post where they announced BB4CPC will be released in English, French and Ancient Greek? :D
:-[ Totally off-topic.

Αι νουδ λαικ α ηλλενικ νερσιον νερι μαζ.

And did I mention that Bubble Bobble is one of my favourites on the CPC? :)

TFM

Oh, finally back to topic - Great!  8)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Nich

It took me a while before I noticed the difference, so no, you're not the only one! :laugh:

My preference is for magenta as well.

mr_lou

Quote from: Nich on 21:12, 17 September 12
It took me a while before I noticed the difference, so no, you're not the only one! :laugh:

Me too.

I think pink fits the overall theme slightly better than magenta.
However, magenta makes the platforms seem farther away from the background than the pink. Using the pink, it could appear as if the monsters aren't really standing on the platforms, but infact on a layer farther away from the background. With magenta it looks more like a match.

So I vote magenta too.

ivarf

Are you using a CRT or LCD monitor? It can be easily seen on my old Dell CRT

Gryzor

Well, if I squint hard enough I can pretend I can see the difference. Haven't tried it at home, only on my crappy office LCD.

ivarf

I have been late taking up LCD monitors at home. This seems to be another reason for staying with CRT as long as possible. Is your officeLCD very dark. That may be the reason...

TotO

It's look that everyone goes to "Magenta" color.
The CPC color table and the CNG screens use this name for the color 07.

CPC : Light Red (06) / Purple (07) / Light Magenta (08)
For me : RED (06) / MAGENTA (07) / PURPLE (08)

Reading comments, I though that some peoples are confused...
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

TFM

I like the DEEP PURPLE though  ;)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

mr_lou

Quote from: TotO on 16:22, 18 September 12
It's look that everyone goes to "Magenta" color.
The CPC color table and the CNG screens use this name for the color 07.

CPC : Light Red (06) / Purple (07) / Light Magenta (08)
For me : RED (06) / MAGENTA (07) / PURPLE (08)

Reading comments, I though that some peoples are confused...

Weird. I've always considered colour 7 to be pink, and colour 8 to be purple.

TotO

Yes, it's why people may be confused for the choice, here.
And, remember... the main problem :

TFM

7 is not pink, it's 'altrosa'  :P
TFM of FutureSoft

Optimus

I LOLed so much at Color Survey Results | xkcd, basically on that part about the top5 feminine and masculine colors :)

cngsoft

I'm drawing sprites and tiles, but at the same time I'm divided between which model is the best. On the left, the original TurboGrafx/PC Engine game by Taito; on the right, the Commodore Amiga port by Ocean. I had already noticed that the Amiga version was using an overly dark palette (and in fact I had to correct the PNGs a little because not even the whites were white enough) but I hadn't realised how overboard it had gone and how it had ruined all the pastels of the PCE original.

Similarly, after playing the PCE version repeatedly, I saw that the Ocean guys made several mistakes when adapting the rules of the game (motions lack acceleration and deceleration, collisions are less strict and more prone to skip clumped items), as well as in the distribution of certain enemies: for example, in the Giant World screenshots you can see that they erroneously put pink elephants where two tuxedo penguins should have been. All these things really make me wish I could see (and even test) the Atari ST port of "Parasol Stars"; the code is probably the same from the Amiga version, but the visuals can't be the same. Which version do you believe that could be the best starting point for a CPC port?
(if you can't see the banner right now my server is currently offline)

TotO

Definitively the original gameplay version. Look to be finally not released in arcade, but PCE first.
I though that Amiga use half bright mode for the background. But, may be more CPC color friendly...
(take a look on the ST version too if you have no choice but dithering the backgrounds)