News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

.CDT tape files from Otla (Turbo)

Started by Neil79, 00:25, 12 June 14

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil79

Does anyone have a huge selection of .CDT amstrad files that have been turbo'd through Otla?

If not at least the wav files as I would like to try it again through tapdancer or my mobile wav player ;)  ( Only normal speeds work )
The latest in Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

TCMSLP

This is a great idea.  Does anyone know if OTLA can be passed command line parameters? 

If so, it wouldn't take long to convert an entire library...

Token

I never tested Otla with a tape but modded the 464 by a little soldering on the PCB. I remember nothing worked for you Neil79...

Also don't expect it's simple. CDT's doesn't convert easy most of the time, unless you convert a SNApshot or a stand alone file inside the CDT. It require some settings otherwise. (blocks)
Some games like Boulderdash have been packed into 1 file, so it takes only 13 seconds to load with Otla. Ossom.

You can batch from "Tools" into .SBB and redo it to convert the .SBB files into .WAV

Neil79

Ah that's a shame!

The only thing that didn't work was the turbo versions of wav files even through otla, perhaps I was doing it wrong..

Normal CDT and Wav files work perfectly however
The latest in Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

Token

I don't know what CPC you used, but if it's not a 464 it's perhaps a bad software setting.
If you have a 464, try to save a snaphot from a game since an emulator (setted as a 464), then load the .SNA in Otla. (I think it require to save the SNA as version 1)

Normally the defaut Otla's parameters should works. It probably must work with the tape head, but I never tried it. Maybe you need to clean/adjust the head, change the belt too. The mod is simple to do though. (much better signal)

Neil79

Token

It should work with the analog audio cable then. Try to make a 6128 SNA and convert it with Otla. Without setting from the tool it should work anyway. Then it's mainly the level output from the player (phone or pc) that will cause a problem. Works 100% with a homemade cable (very old MIDI cable)
It's a no brainer with a 6128.

Neil79

You still have to use otla then? I was kinda hoping to be able to have some readly converted wav files to play through my android device

Token

From Otla sometime, but mainly from the .WAV, I prefer to use my phone. 44KHz/16 bit, the DAC and output makes differences, but I bet my Iphone output is better than my crappy pc. It's the same thing... It shouldn't be a problem.

Neil79

Any chance of uploading some turbo'd wav files that you know work so I can test myself?

Mainly interested in the Dizzy games  ;D

Token

For test, load this in Otla
http://www.speedyshare.com/UMgHK/Dizzy128.sna

file>new/add
then plug the cable, set a level, bypass 3D fx's from your sound card if any. PLAY from Otla.
Maybe like me you changed the parameters. I can't remember the original setting. You can reinstall Otla then. (I setted the fastest possible, and it could not work for you)

PS: if it's still doesn't work, whatever level you tried, then I have no idea why it doesn't work. Same WAV files tested perfect on my 3 CPC's (464,664,6128)

Neil79

As I was saying I was kinda hoping to be able to not use otla ( Don't have the cables anymore )

A Wav file will purely be used via my android device

( I am grateful for the help though )

Like this below, files already converted in otla... Then uploaded to my phone... Phone into Amstrad... Play WAV file
Turbo loading ZX Spectrum games via iPhone. | StiGGy's Blog

Token

The cable you use from PC to CPC isn't the same than your phone? I use the same cable here.
I just tried the Dizzy SNA and it worked from pc/Otla with level output to max.

I doubt someone will make a big collection, as the parameters could change from CPC to CPC, and games need to be converted before, it's not easy unless you use SNA, and that mean no multipart game, no intro pic and sometimes weird colors in the background.

Neil79

Yeh I can it's just a pain in the arse to move the Amstrad near my computer, no space...

I was going to convert the files using otla, then put them straight to the phone and play via the phone.

Do you have to use otla or can the wav files be edited and work on any device afterwards?

Neil79

Ok lets try this anyway

I have 4 CDT files I'm going to convert/boost using otla.

Then I'll put them on my phone and see if they work without otla and just as a playable boosted wav file :)

Token

Yes, generate the WAV is exactly the same thing. Use your phone when you have converted the SNA from PC. If it doesn't work try to reinstall Otla. The defaut parameters should work.

Token

Use my SNA. You won't be able to convert the CDT if there's more than a file inside the image.

Neil79

Quote from: Token on 21:00, 12 June 14
Yes, generate the WAV is exactly the same thing. Use your phone when you have converted the SNA from PC. If it doesn't work try to reinstall Otla. The defaut parameters should work.

Grand!

Wish me luck  :laugh:

Token

Neil79

Quote from: Token on 21:01, 12 June 14
Use my SNA. You won't be able to convert the CDT if there's more than a file inside the image.

I noticed that your SNA ticks all the boxes but all of my CDT's have X's, guess this might be why it isn't working :(

Ok going to try now

Neil79

Nope no go

It either doesn't see the block or comes up with a garbled screen and "error loading", even tried the volume booster! Normal wav and mp3's working fine

Token

did you reinstalled Otla, the setting by defaut? Then try only to reduce the sample/bit to 4 (11025)

If you see some graphics on top (when I saved the SNA) and then it crash a bit later, it's only the level output. Maybe 50,75,100% from phone, 100% from the PC worked here.

Token

The WAV. So small when packed... I think they are players that can read ZIP too.
http://www.speedyshare.com/TYshG/Dizzy128.zip

Of course it's my own parameters. Last time it doesn't works for you... But this one is slower. There's a hope :P

Neil79

Nope no go on anything, it says "loading Dizzy block"

Clicks over, then you get a garbled screen and "Error Loading", pretty much straight away. Then it clicks back to the command screen

Going to give up for tonight and try again another  time, atleast all the normal ctd/wav file works fine, just much slower :D

Token

It should be easier to try from pc with volume setted to 100% (on a line output) So you can change parameters on the fly since Otla, speed etc.

But anyway you'll be disapointed. Loading SNA won't give you that "cool tape loading but just faster" feeling.
Also as I wrote before, not every games will work 100% with SNA. Some could be imcomplete and ask for loading again after you played.

Converting CDT to SBB is much much difficult. And that is what you looking for. But it require to deal with memory. As you wrote there are many files on the CDT, they overlap so you must set the correct values... I really doubt someone will make an Otla collection... I did one for myself though, but it seems not to work on your 6128.

Most SNA for 64Ko games takes 30secs to load. I have few convertion from packed games like Boulderdash. Loading in 13secs then, because it's less than 64Ko. (Boulderdash onefiler in BIN format, 12Ko)