News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Chibi Akuma(s) - Coming 31st Dec 2016

Started by keith56, 12:04, 17 December 16

Previous topic - Next topic

keith56

Game is now released! Please see:
http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/games/chibi-akuma%28s%29-out-now!/

Get it from:
http://www.chibiakumas.com/download/

Can I take this opportunity to announce my upcoming CPC game?

I've mentioned that I've been working on something on here from time to time - and have received a lot of help from people on here, but I am finally at a stage where I am happy that it is developed enough to show - and that I will actually ever finish it!

So I humbly present to you...

Chibi Akuma(s) - A Spoof-Horror firepower crazy shooter!

The game play is heavily inspired by Death Smiles, and I tried to give the game a more cartoon style like Cotton - be warned though, the humor is much darker (and stranger!) than Cotton.

It has two direction (Two firebutton) shooting like Deathsmiles, you also have Smartbombs and Drones - the player move speed is slower when holding fire (it has autofire) allowing you to weave around the bullet waves - Drones also move closer to the player when holding fire - so you can target your firepower

The game has 4 unique levels, with different enemies and style, and a different 'level boss' battle... I added a few extra tricks to the code with each level - so each level has something quite new!

The graphics are '4 color' Mode 1 with CPC plus sprites. The game engine allows 255 enemy bullets onscreen - so the action is pretty crazy

You can view the website at : http://www.chibiakumas.com/

The game will be free, and I will release the source code once it is done - I expect the game to be finished by new year.

I made an Animated Gif of the first boss battle below:

Chibi Akumas: Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter!
Learn ARM, 8086, Z80, 6502 or 68000 with my tutorials: www.assemblytutorial.com
My Assembly programming book is available now on amazon!

Skunkfish

This looks absolutely insane! Can't way to play it!  :o
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

Arnaud

Joseman

Quote from: keith56 on 12:04, 17 December 16

The graphics are '4 color' Mode 1 with CPC plus sprites. The game engine allows 255 enemy bullets onscreen - so the action is pretty crazy

As i see it will be 6128 classic compatible too... what are the specs for this version?

it looks pretty good this game!, i'm curious for the 6128 classic version...

VincentGR

That's it.
This year I am dreaming, right?

Overflow

Looks very nice. Looking forwards to watching gameplay on real machine.

Quoting from another message, my thinking is exactly:
Quote from: villain on 14:52, 27 October 16
Looks like producing games is something like the new way of democoding.
Crazy times, incredible year with so many new games.
Kudos to all of you guys! It does really seem that CPC scene is alive as ever.
Unregistered from CPCwiki forum.

dragon

ldaneels

Oh my! That is looking very nice indeed. As I said before, we can't have too many bullet hells on the CPC :)
As a sidenote, I assume the hit zone is just a dot, not the full sprite? Is it the red dot I see, where the heart would be?
Also does the game have crazy bullet patterns (is this even possible on the CPC?)? I just love beautiful looking walls of bullets. I still have that picture of the first Mars Matrix boss pattern on level one (difficult to explain, but I loved it and it was very striking).
Cheers,

Loic

villain

Crazy! Sometimes I wonder where guys like you come from. Completely out of nothing. Seems to be a great place...

@Overflow

Nevertheless I hope there will be another demo-release from you one day. :-)

Greetings from Alsace!

MacDeath

can it run on a standard CGA XT ?
:P

I soemwhat feel like using Mode1 properly (or mixing it) can actually be quite a nice challenge on CPC.

Sykobee (Briggsy)

Looking forward to seeing this - I hope there's a GX4000 compatible .cpr being planned :-)

That's a lot of bullets!

keith56

Thanks for all the comments ! I have given replys to some of the questions below

>> Its 64k gx4000 compatible?

Not as of today, I will make a regular 464 version later, but it will have inferior graphics, It would be possible to reprogram to work on a 64k gx4000 without reduced graphics, but the levels would need reprogramming
(and whats worse - redebugging!),  the game takes up 3 disks, and loads between each stage so it will be quite a bit of work for me to rewrite it to make a cartridge version.. Ideally I would like to make a cartridge
version, but I would also like to make a sequel, so it is a low priority right now - If you really want a cartridge version, remember - the game will be open source! (hint hint!)

>> As i see it will be 6128 classic compatible too... what are the specs for this version?

The game is primarily a 6128 game, the only plus feature used is the 16 color sprites - so on a 6128, the only difference is the character will be 4 color, and the player sprite changes color at the 'raster color change' points, I don't expect any speed difference, and there is no gameplay difference - Plus sprites were added after the levels were coded - so you won't miss out!

>> As a sidenote, I assume the hit zone is just a dot, not the full sprite? Is it the red dot I see,
where the heart would be?

Yes - The hitzone IS just the dot - on the 6128, the bullets appear over the player sprite, as the plus
always has sprites at the 'top layer' the player sprite flickers on the 50 hz to fake 'transparency' (like the neo geo used to) - the 'transparency' was disabled for the video capture

>> Also does the game have crazy bullet patterns

The blasts you see in this video are pretty typical of what's in the game, an object basically can move  -4 to +3 in the X
and Y axis in each frame, - I needed the moves to be pretty limited, as I only allocated 1 byte of data
for all basic movements (A  burst will fire in 64 directions), also I needed the maths to be very simple for speed - I tried to compensate for this by having bursts at different times, and from different places - Remember this is only the easiest boss battle! The final boss battle is very, very different ;-P

It's really nice to read so many encouraging comments today, you really can't know what it means to me! This is my first assembly game, and over most of the time I spent writing it I didn't really believe I could actually finish it (when I came up with the idea of a CPC game with crazy onscreen bullets, I wasn't sure it was even possible), so its really something to see it so well recieved.

As a 'Thank you' I have uploaded another gif of the Level 1 gameplay! (before the boss battle)

sigh

Well done indeed!

I look forward to playing this over Xmas. In fact - I got quite a few CPC games to play over Xmas:)

keith56

Quote from: sigh on 16:20, 18 December 16
Well done indeed!

I look forward to playing this over Xmas. In fact - I got quite a few CPC games to play over Xmas:)

I'm working as fast as I can, but I may not be able to get things at a point I am happy with by Xmas, I'm writing extra things now like High score handling, and configuration pages, which are all small, but all eat up time, and I still need to proof read the cut-scene dialog, and touch up some of the sub-par graphics... still not happy with the music either (I suck at music!)

I'll be working on it like crazy over the festive holiday, I think New Years Eve is the likely release date - if it's not releasable by then it never will be!

Gryzor

I'm not a fan of bullet hell shooters, but I'll be damned if I say I'm not impressed. Plus, I love the unique charm of mode 1 and of course pulling off something like this on the CPC... wow.

The obligatory question: will there be a physical release? :)

VincentGR

Quote from: Gryzor on 13:33, 20 December 16
I'm not a fan of bullet hell shooters, but I'll be damned if I say I'm not impressed. Plus, I love the unique charm of mode 1 and of course pulling off something like this on the CPC... wow.

The obligatory question: will there be a physical release? :)

Well I am and even if you are not this is a "must play" for our Z80.   ;D ;D ;D

Gryzor

Well, my favorite shooter ever is probably Under Defeat on the Dreamcast, along with R-Type (arcade original and TotO's version). But this - yes, goes without saying it's a must!

GOB

Can youpost the same gif but on cpc+ version please ?
Seams really good !!!

keith56

Quote from: GOB on 13:49, 20 December 16
Can youpost the same gif but on cpc+ version please ?
Seams really good !!!
Those ARE the cpc+ version! ???

Do you mean the non cpc version? - you can see the difference in the player sprite here:
http://www.chibiakumas.com/PlusSprite.gif
One frame is the plus ver, the other the cpc version.

I only use CPC+ sprites, the color effects are all just regular 6128 ones, the development time for a second colorset for plus machines would have been too great for me to manage - this is mainly a non plus game.

I will do my next gif on the non plus!

Mode 1 is my fave on the CPC, as it looks great when used well, and allows for messing with the raster colors to get more than the default four - it's too easy to look colorful with 16!

As for the 'bullet overload style' - I wanted to see if something like this was possible on CPC, and as its a style that only came around in the last decade or so I'm not aware it had done before on 8 bit  (I believe Dragon Attack has done it now - but I didn't know that when I started!)

Will there be a physical copy? - I'd love there to be but I have no idea what that would take to make happen - even if there isn't I will be producing an 'Official' box art and disk template to print your own!

XeNoMoRPH

your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

keith56

People have been asking about the Plus, non plus, so this should clear it up.

Both the previous Gifs were from the 6128 PLUS version

This one is from the 6128 - NON plus version

Notice the Life icons are skulls - they are hearts on the plus (I couldn't do a heart without red and purple!)

Apart from that, and the fact the player sprites are 4 color - everything else is identical!

http://www.chibiakumas.com/6128-NotPlus.gif

nitrofurano

keith56

Ok, a quick update on the game. I've been working hard on it the last two days, and things are going well.

I'm pretty sure I will have squashed all the bugs I can find soon, so I'm going to set a release date in stone.

The game will come out on December 31st

In the meantime, here's a few teasers!

CPC game Reviews has been kind enough to try a preview version of the game:

http://www.cpcgamereviews.com/

Here's an Anigif of Level 2 (Zombie forest level) action:

I'm keeping the remaining 3 boss battles secret - so you'll have to wait and see  ;D

I've also updated the website with a playing guide, there's a description of the powerups, some basic playing tips, and an "Enemy Roster" (currently Level 1 only)

I would have liked to have an end sequence showing all the enemies like Super Mario, but DiskSpace and Enthusiasm were too lacking for such a task!

http://www.chibiakumas.com/guide/

Gryzor

That'll make for an awesome New Year's present! Thanks man :)

||C|-|E||