News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Contra

Started by ComSoft6128, 17:07, 03 February 18

Previous topic - Next topic

ComSoft6128

Gryzor

Cheers, but I'm a Sega fanboy :D

ComSoft6128

I was thinking more of the writer's opinion of the CPC version near the end of the article.

Cheers,

Peter

Gryzor

Oh, didn't notice that at first! Thanks for the pointer :)

AxelStone

Yeah you can read this:
" The best port to 8 bit home computers was undoubtedly that on the Amstrad CPC machines "

fano

Quote from: Gryzor on 18:54, 03 February 18
Cheers, but I'm a Sega fanboy :D
Contra Hard Corps ! <3
"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

ivarf

Quote from: AxelStone on 20:15, 04 February 18
Yeah you can read this:
" The best port to 8 bit home computers was undoubtedly that on the Amstrad CPC machines "

Try arguing that with the C64 and Speccy fanboys. I have tried...

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: ivarf on 16:09, 07 February 18

Try arguing that with the C64 and Speccy fanboys. I have tried...

It's definitely a mixed bag. In terms of Arcade conversions, it really can't be disputed. I'll list a few examples.

1) Most racing games! With the exception of Power Drift, nearly every arcade racer ported to the C64 was a disgrace. Outrun, Enduro Racer WEC Le Mans, Power Drift, Turbo Outrun, all utter disgraces on the C64. They looked ok, until you tried getting them to move.

2) Gryzor is playable enough on the Speccy, but it's an abortion on the C64. But who wants to play on a glorified Game Boy that requires a power socket?  :laugh:

3) Dragonninja: This wasn't exactly spectacular on the CPC, but the Speccy and C64 versions are atrocities. Especially the Speccy, half the time, your guy won't hit the bad guys, despite the fact that they're obviously hitting them!

I could go on. There's no defending any of the above though. As biased as it may sound growing an Amstrad guy, but I've played every format, and the rest are just plain bad. Anyone who thinks otherwise clearly has blinkers on.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

ComSoft6128

Hi Shaun and everyone else.

You may find the "Amstrad CPC vs. Arcade" series of YouTube videos of interest.

This is the link to the 1st one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb4G8aej-bA

Cheers,

Peter

ivarf

Quote from: AxelStone on 20:15, 04 February 18
Yeah you can read this:

This is said context of Gryzor/Contra. The Amstrad has many good arcade ports, but many bad too. I think many of the worse are shown in the video above. What I don't get is that many fail to see the quality of the Amstrad Gryzor port

Gryzor

Like?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

ivarf

Quote from: Gryzor on 21:00, 07 February 18
Like?.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

See my two posts above, now reposted. Both copied from Notepad Windows 10. The first one posted with Opera 50.0, the other with Windows Edge something (win 10). This message is written with Opera 50.0 too

Gryzor

Copying/pasting tends to do that. Just remove formatting (select all text, hit the second from last button -the one with the two A's) and it's all good.

ivarf

In the good old days (pre Windows 10), using Notepad used to do just that, remove formatting. I didn't know about that button, it will be used from now...

Back on topic...

Quote from: AxelStone on 20:15, 04 February 18Yeah you can read this:" The best port to 8 bit home computers was undoubtedly that on the Amstrad CPC machines "
This is said context of Gryzor/Contra. The Amstrad has many good arcade ports, but many bad too. I think many of the worse are shown in the video above. What I don't get is that many fail to see the quality of the Amstrad Gryzor port

Shaun M. Neary

Oh there were horrible conversions too. I'm looking at you Tiertex and Probe.

Street Fighter, 1943, Black Tiger, Super Wonderboy in Monsterland, New Zealand Story (actually perfectly playable but the graphics and control let it down badly) to name a few.

But as bad as the Amstrad versions were, the Speccy and C64 counterparts were no better either. Which was my point initially.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

AxelStone

Gryzor is plenty of high quality details. First time I saw the graphics and main character animations I got impressed. The 3D maze details is higher than any other version, including MSX2. Even small details as laser weapon is really impressive with that laser vanishing against obstacles.

CPC has other impressive ports as Donkey Kong or MoonCresta, quite aproximate to the original arcade versions.

kawickboy

Some were not complete: on Mikie you can't hit the teacher for example.