Author Topic: Converting a game to ROM - and LOTS of ROM files inside!  (Read 57426 times)

Offline Phantomz

• 6128 Plus
  • Liked: 1371
Re: Converting a game to ROM - and LOTS of ROM files inside!
« Reply #520 on: 21:42, 31 May 16 »
No I'm not posting in the wrong thread.  :laugh:  :P     ( I normally do carts games, for people that don't know ).

I've just started to look into how to make roms, I'm not sure how to do games that take multiple roms yet!

I've just done my first rom which is " Frog Alot ", I used " Softbrenner " to make this rom, I believe you can use this program to make games with multiple roms but I'll have to figure it out as can't read
the options as not in English.  :doh:

|FROGALOT   to run the game.

I hope the rom works ok, I could only test in emulation ( winape ) as I haven't got the real hardware to test it out, I will get a  MotherX4 Main Board, X-MEM, and X-MASS as soon as got the cash free. ( stupid bills )  :doh:

I've also included a poked rom which gives infinite lives.  :)
« Last Edit: 13:24, 02 June 16 by Phantomz »

Offline Phantomz

• 6128 Plus
« Reply #521 on: 21:30, 01 June 16 »
Ok for my second Rom, I've done a game that is already available as a Rom.

This one is " Harrier Attack " it is now " Harrier Attack - Joypad Version ;D

Use a Joypad or Joystick with 2 fire buttons, Button 2 is used for Bombs, Use Space to Eject.   :)

|HARRIER  to run the game
« Last Edit: 13:24, 02 June 16 by Phantomz »

Offline Phantomz

• 6128 Plus
« Reply #522 on: 21:42, 07 June 16 »
I'm still using " Softbrenner ".

I'm not sure how to convert more than one file ( if possible? ) like Bas and a Bin, or Bas and 2 Bins etc ( still new to this ).  ::)
« Last Edit: 22:02, 07 June 16 by Phantomz »

Offline TFM

• Visit the mysteries of the CPC at www.futureos.de
  • Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
  • Space Chicken for FutureOS is free!
    • index.php?action=treasury
    • FutureOS - The revolution on CPC!
  • Liked: 1971
« Reply #523 on: 21:57, 07 June 16 »
Softbrenner allows you to use as much files as you want, just add one after the other.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Offline Phantomz

• 6128 Plus
« Reply #524 on: 22:33, 07 June 16 »
Softbrenner allows you to use as much files as you want, just add one after the other.

Thanks for the info  ;)

When I've tried to add the bas and bins, I convert stuff to rom ok, but it comes up, Drive A:disc missing, Retry, Ignore or Cancel?

I'll have another look at some point, maybe something to do with memory address!  ::)

Offline TFM

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
« Reply #525 on: 22:57, 07 June 16 »
Ok, this is clear! You need to change the BASIC loader in a way that every LOAD command will be changed into an RSX, since the loaded parts are part of the ROM(s). The program can't apply AI to any BASIC program. So one has to change loaders in BASIC with the hand.

Let's say the BASIC loads a Binary at &9000 then replace this line in the BASIC program to an RSX command (for example !LOADBIN). And use the same name for the Binary in the ROM. Also use the correct loading address.

Is this clear in my broken English, or do I need to go more into detail?

EDIT: Look at the ROMs I posted, they can serve as an example. Look at the BASIC loader.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Offline Phantomz

• 6128 Plus
« Reply #526 on: 23:18, 07 June 16 »
Ok, this is clear! You need to change the BASIC loader in a way that every LOAD command will be changed into an RSX, since the loaded parts are part of the ROM(s). The program can't apply AI to any BASIC program. So one has to change loaders in BASIC with the hand.

Let's say the BASIC loads a Binary at &9000 then replace this line in the BASIC program to an RSX command (for example !LOADBIN). And use the same name for the Binary in the ROM. Also use the correct loading address.

Is this clear in my broken English, or do I need to go more into detail?

EDIT: Look at the ROMs I posted, they can serve as an example. Look at the BASIC loader.

Your English is great, I understand what you're saying, it's makes perfect sense.  :)

Thanks for the Information.  :)

Offline TFM

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
« Reply #527 on: 00:29, 08 June 16 »
Thank's! Glad I could help.

I really like Softbrenner, the only 'missing thing' is that it doesn't add the checksum to &FFFF. But since it was made for the ROM-RAM-Box they didn't think about adding a checksum when saving a ROM. But I guess we can life with that, since it can be done by hand easy.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft