News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Converted GX4000 .cpr - The topic (repository link in first post)

Started by remax, 22:14, 04 May 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Phantomz

Quote from: Dinorast on 20:55, 27 May 15
Would the CPC port of H.E.R.O. work as well ? Btw. Fantastic work,what you do here [emoji106]

Is this the game you want?

If so, I believe it's another to the list  :D

" H.E.R.O ".

dragon

Quote from: CraigsBar on 20:34, 27 May 15
All 4 tested, All 4 work fine... I am starting to like Spanish Platformers LOL

I was scarred by Freddie Hardest in the 80's LOL

woo, game over,dustin,nomaded,camelot warriors,army moves,navy moves,rescate en el golfo,pogaboo etc etc..

Phantomz

@remax

Just checked out Chase HQ, when you run it in 128k, you get another option after stage select asking if you want 64k version or 128k version, because of the space after RESET between F2, it's making that line to long so it shows, SLoad 1)64k or 2)128k version? Instead of just saying Load.

I've removed the space between RESET F2 to RESETF2 like it was on dragons and it looks neat on both versions now.

1 and 2 for 64k or 128k wasn't changed by dragon, but it's not a problem as that will only show on a 128k machine and the keyboard can just be pressed.

I think the onscreen options should look right , for GX4000 and 128k plus users as this is a fantastic game so I've done another version to fix the problem.

dragon

Quote from: Phantomz on 12:55, 28 May 15
@remax

Just checked out Chase HQ, when you run it in 128k, you get another option after stage select asking if you want 64k version or 128k version, because of the space after RESET between F2, it's making that line to long so it shows, SLoad 1)64k or 2)128k version? Instead of just saying Load.

I've removed the space between RESET F2 to RESETF2 like it was on dragons and it looks neat on both versions now.

1 and 2 for 64k or 128k wasn't changed by dragon, but it's not a problem as that will only show on a 128k machine and the keyboard can just be pressed.

I think the onscreen options should look right , for GX4000 and 128k plus users as this is a fantastic game so I've done another version to fix the problem.

yeah, i view it, but as you say for the gx4000 is not necesary patch the memory selector.

Carlos sainz:

*Remmaped menu keys.
*eliminated option four, as the gx4000 can't introduce the code numbers/lettters. So play style jurassic park in snes in one time :)

Devilmarkus

Quote from: dragon on 15:21, 28 May 15
yeah, i view it, but as you say for the gx4000 is not necesary patch the memory selector.

Carlos sainz:

*Remmaped menu keys.
*eliminated option four, as the gx4000 can't introduce the code numbers/lettters. So play style jurassic park in snes in one time :)

Which keys are remapped?
I can't choose anything by joypads... Only number keys work?
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

dragon

Quote from: Devilmarkus on 15:28, 28 May 15
Which keys are remapped?
I can't choose anything by joypads... Only number keys work?

mmm, hohohoh, i uploaded the wrong version. one moment...

done.

EgoTrip

Quote from: CraigsBar on 17:24, 25 May 15
I had a look at chuckie egg last night but with a hex editor could not find any controls to mod. If this one gets patched i'd love to put a plus loading screen and music on it for a cart release. @Phantomz, you fancy working your magic on the controls if possible?

I dunno if this will work, but do a hex dump of it standard, then run it, redefine the keys and find what has changed in the memory. Then you can poke the new values.

seanb

I've decided to try and convert games but I need a bit of advice.
The game has a trainer and I've managed to find and change the keyboard controls to select the options.
Yay me.

My problem is how to save the changes. Using winape or javacpc, how did I avoid using this programme for so long? I've had Radio Roland playing for over 3 hours and it's working at drowning out my bickering neighbours, I have to wait for the trainer to load to make changes.
Using hxd I can't access the trainer unless I save a snapshot of it but that's no good as I can't use that as a CPR file.

This is my first ever time using a hex editor, I have no programming knowledge other than messing about almost years ago but I've already found and remapped controls, given myself full stats in a game and altered on screen text. I might not understand fully what you tell me but I will get there...

Providing you draw it in crayon for me.
Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!

EgoTrip

I'm working on hacking Chuckie Egg for GX4000 controls, and I think I may be making progress.

Ok well I didn't manage to get it working. However if someone else wants to try I found out the following information:

9C9C to 9CA0 has the default keys (right, left, down, up, jump in that order)
A048 tests for 'H' to hold
A04C tests for 'ESC'

9D59 tests for 'S' to Start

9CB5 is the "How many players?" routine which will need to be fixed or removed and is my main stumbling block here

Phantomz

Quote from: EgoTrip on 18:04, 28 May 15
"How many players?" routine which will need to be fixed or removed and is my main stumbling block here

I've done all the Controls, changed the menu, even got P to pause, just trying bypass the How many players routine at the moment.

I'm having a play about, I can get it to start with the fire button (bypassed) but I'm changing something wrong as get corruption at the top of the screen.  ???

EgoTrip

Quote from: Phantomz on 18:51, 28 May 15
I've done all the Controls, changed the menu, even got P to pause, just trying bypass the How many players routine at the moment.

I'm having a play about, I can get it to start with the fire button (bypassed) but I'm changing something wrong as get corruption at the top of the screen.  ???

That is exactly what happened to me too.

dragon

ejem. As i look the game all afternoon. I can tell.

The game is crap(i mean crap programmer).

The corruption(that i solve hours ago), not is the only problem in the game. Use the default joystick in winape causes yo can't select the numbers of players and it decide automatically you are four players.

So I made a laberynth of keys to made it working, To play withothuy problems is need the two pads.

Anyway my version is finished at 99%.

EgoTrip

I wanted to get it done cos then it would have EgoTrip in the high score table instead of A'n'F and a EgoTrip GX Mod on the title screen in place of the "'K' to Change Keys" text. But I guess its not possible so I wont waste any more time on it.

dragon

Ah,nothing is impossible buy you need learn use the disassembler.

Well, as you are learning as I explain a little corruption is solved.

The game uses a firmware call in 9cd3 (line in winape dissasembly).

Next you can see a LD C,A, and next you can see a sub 31. This is a rest(in hexadecimal).

An this is interesting, made  a breakpoint in it and look to A register,press 1, and you see you can you reciver 31 when you press "1",But you not need 1 you need the gamepad. So press the up in the gamepad, and you can see recieve a 08.

The rest of the numbers are consecutive in the keyboard and in the joystick. So simply made the same. Changue de rest to 08, and you obtain 0 the same that with 1 key.

¿And the corruption?. Well in the anterior line you can see he made a copy Of A in C. ¿Why?. Because he need the A content later in 9ce1 Another rest but with 30!.

So changue the rest to the equivalentet in game pad code. (07). And voila, corruption is deleted of the world. :) . An you can select the players with the up left down right.

A proof of concept

Can add the prefixe keys  to this, other way  redefine(and play) the pad 2, and select player with pad1, I prefer the people decide the keys.

If you redefine keypad 1, you can see as select players are jump.

I think if add prefixed keys maybe not more select players problem. but i not sure. You can modify it, no problem :) .

O.k fixed, remax you can add egotrip with me, i use he prefixed keys to solve the problem.

EgoTrip

Cool thanks, its working now. But you can upload your version as you cracked it first, I don't want to take any credit for it.

remax

Quote from: dragon on 15:42, 28 May 15
mmm, hohohoh, i uploaded the wrong version. one moment...

done.

Can't get past Tire/Suspension screen on MESS, anyone confirm ?
Brain Radioactivity

CraigsBar

Yippee, I'll get working on a plus loading screen now.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

dragon

Quote from: remax on 21:09, 28 May 15

Can't get past Tire/Suspension screen on MESS, anyone confirm ?

Don't knnow in winape works, have yo tried in the gx4000?

remax

Quote from: dragon on 21:48, 28 May 15

Don't knnow in winape works, have yo tried in the gx4000?

Winape is not a good choice for testing as it doesn't disable the inputs for keyboard, whereas MESS and the last version of JavaGX4000 by devilmarkus posted in this very thread do.

I still don't have my C4CPCso can't test in a real GX4000, hence my question.

EDIT : it does work in JavaGX4000, so it's a good sign...

EDIT : OK, in fact it works everywhere, but you HAVE TO select joystick before starting.
Brain Radioactivity

CraigsBar

OK.... Further carts from me will wait until the weekend, by which time I hope to have sussed out b-asic and the loader for my surprise release and Chuckie egg.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Phantomz

Quote from: Phantomz on 18:51, 28 May 15

I know you guys finished your version, but I thought what the hell I'll finish mine, I had everything done, just couldn't figure out why I was getting corruption at the top of the screen when I started the level.

I had to use your routine to sort the players out, just couldn't figure it out with that corruption.  ::)

I tried to sort the Enter key out, I believe it should be 3E 12 ? I found it in 3 places but didn't work when I changed it,was trying to map it to a Joypad button as we need to bypass the highscore table as you can't enter your name so will get stuck.

Anyway I'll upload my version here too incase anyone want's it, my version goes straight to the starting menu without that instruction screen that you can't read as it's only there for like 2 seconds.

Here is my Chuckie Egg without instruction screen popping up.

EgoTrip

I cant check right now, but what firmware routine does the high score table use? If it uses the equivalent of BASIC's INPUT (as I suspect it does) then that will explain why you can't change ENTER. The only thing I can suggest besides disabling it completely, is to make the default high scores as high as possible.

dragon

Make break points in all keyboard firmware calls bb00/ bb4e (rst 08).

Then press the letter, it probable stop in a firmware call. Look at the stack  and go to that dirección. And you can view where is called, in firmware calls normally you only need change the parameter sended to the call or the posterior comparation.

Chuckie egg is easy because he use firmware calls, but others is ver y dificult modified it. With her propietary subroutines to read the keyboard.

Anyway, i not pacht the score, because y try it and works without patch.

Phantomz

Quote from: dragon on 03:08, 29 May 15
Anyway, i not pacht the score, because y try it and works without patch.

How do you enter your name in the high score table or pass it?

You say it works without patch, but I get to the high score table and get stuck!  ::)

@remax
Anyway I did a couple more games:

The Galactic Plague 1 Player only as didn't remap it to two player as you need to take turns anyway!
Robin(S)
Arkanoid II - Revenge of Doh  (Joystick fire 1 = yes) (Joystick Fire 2=no) For Trainer.

Arkanoid II - Revenge of Doh works fines, no problem with the high score table or anything, The Trainer works fine too, just the 2nd option needs the Esc key, this will need
to be remaped to Joypad Button 2 or maybe the GX4000 Pause button as the game doesn't have a pause option I don't think unlike the first game.

Note: The Arkanoid II Infinite Lives Cheat doesn't work on Boss Fights, Stage 17 and Stage 33, the disk is the same.

dragon

Later i take another eye to chuckie egg, i not temember now :D .

Loopz is aproximing...

*Patched menus.
*Patched submenus.
*Patches player 1 and player two, from my factory the players are working with the two pad buttons.
*joystick orginal configuration supported with 1 button(button+ direction) only to the two players.
*Patched high score table.
*Patched start subrutine not scanning the joystick.
*remmaped pause button to P.
*jumpered enter paswword with up in c mode.