News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Converted GX4000 .cpr - The topic (repository link in first post)

Started by remax, 22:14, 04 May 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Phantomz

@remax

I've done " Batman The Caped Crusader " Push UP to get past the loading screen.

I've also done " Batman The Movie " yea I know this was pretty much straight ported to the GX4000, but I prefer the darker palette of the original.

It's the CNGsoft version with a New Loading Screen and Trainer, Just press fire to start, I can't remap pause as the game is compressed!

EgoTrip

Quote from: seanb on 16:52, 09 June 15
Count Duckula 2
Thankfully it's joystick ready.
Haven't quite figured out how to change fire or to save move changes from a snapshot into the cpr file yet but this should be good to go.

Can someone test it in a real GX4000 for me please?

Wow, someone actually downloaded it. I really hope that's just to help you test and not to actually play it

Phantomz

@seanb  Count Duckula 2 work's, I tested it for you as I needed to test my games before I uploaded them.  :D

It works ok, it's just as bad as Super Gran  :laugh:

Quote from: EgoTrip on 19:30, 09 June 15
Wow, someone actually downloaded it. I really hope that's just to help you test and not to actually play it
Yea, just testing it for him  ;D

@remax

Some more from me.

Mr. Heli Press UP to get past the loading screen.

Netherworld

War Machine This version has the loading screen bug, but it doesn't affect the game, all fixed version are compressed.
I needed an uncompressed version as I needed to remap Grenades to Joypad Button 2.  ;D

seanb

@Phantomz and @EgoTrip
my god what have I done  :D

I will be playing supergran
Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!

Phantomz

Quote from: seanb on 21:32, 09 June 15
@Phantomz and @EgoTrip
my god what have I done  :D

I will be playing supergran

Noooooooo  :laugh:

To those that have downloaded " Batman the Caped Crusader " I did change it to Game 1 and Game 2 as it was in French, I've decided to put it to Part 1 and Part 2.

The post above has the new version now.

remax

Ok, i'll take care of them today
Brain Radioactivity

Phantomz

Quote from: remax on 10:38, 10 June 15
Ok, i'll take care of them today
@remax

Cheers  :), here is another to add to the list " Darkman ".

remax

Quote from: Phantomz on 20:05, 10 June 15
@remax

Cheers  :) , here is another to add to the list " Darkman ".

Let's go

Brain Radioactivity

dragon

1.select joystick.
2.Pause is in "down"
In score table left/right to move,down to change letter, 2 to finish.

In menu 2 to intro.In game 2 to return game menu.

Normal game=Right.

Phantomz

@remax

Three more games for the list, the first one is " Roland on the Ropes " was the first game I played so I had to convert it.
After level 4 you get asked " Do you wish to choose the number of Monsters ? (Y / N).

I've mapped N to Fire Button 1 and got it to show " PRESS FIRE BUTTON 1 TO CONTINUE. " so the game can be played and completed ok.

The second game is " Track And Field " I know this isn't brilliant, it didn't even get released on its own! only as part of a pack.
I thought I'd do it as we have Hyper Sports, so I thought we would have the set.

Press UP to change Player 1 Controls
Press DOWN to change Player 2 Controls
Press LEFT to change Level Difficulty
Press RIGHT to change the Game Required

The last game is " Daley Thompson's Super Test " again, I did this to finish the set.

This will Require a Fix as you will get stuck on the High Score Input.

Phantomz

I've tried to do another couple of the original games that we got bundled with our machines.

I seem to be have trouble finding the numbers to remap whilst working with HEX, maybe it's not possible this way.

The first game is " Oh Mummy " I've made the game playable, but it will need a fix.

I've changed " "C" TO CONTINUE " at the Start, It is now " "1" TO CONTINUE "
It can now be started with Fire Button 1

I've changed " I-INSTRUCTIONS " It is now " P-INSTRUCTIONS "
It is now " P " Pause Button for Instructions

I've changed " O-OPTIONS " It is now " 2-OPTIONS "
It is now Fire Button 2

I've changed " P-PLAY " It is now " 1-PLAY
It is now Fire Button 1

The Options can be accessed ok, but I can't find the number keys to remap, maybe someone could help with this.

After you set speed of game and difficulty level, you get background music Y or N and also sound effects Y or N.

I've remapped Y to Fire Button 1 and N to Fire Button 2.

Like I said, its just the numbers that I can't seem to find.

@remax 
The game can be played as is, you just can't change the options at the moment until fixed.

UPDATE: The High Score Table can now be bypassed, Just Press Fire Button 1.

The second game is " Harrier Attack "      THIS IS NOT PLAYABLE YET

Yet again, I'm having trouble finding the numbers, you need to start the game by pressing 1 to 5 to enter skill level to start the game, this needs a fix.

You can enter your name in the High Score table with the fire button so that's not a problem.

I've changed it so it's fully controllable from the Joystick to start with not the keyboard by default.
I've remapped bombs to the second fire button
I've remapped Eject to the Console Pause Button.

So it just needs the numbers remapped to start the game to fix it.

I hope someone can help with these, I don't think any of the other original games are worth doing really, I think we'll have all the main ones people played when these two are fully done.

UPDATE

I've just done more work on " Super Robin Hood "

Options now Work, Select Options with Fire Button 2, Fire Button 1 for Yes, Fire Button 2 for No.

I've also mapped Quit to the Console Pause Button.

The New Version is now on the Wiki Page .  ;D

yurif74

is the list perfectly in sync with the converted games in this thread? except the last two ones from Phantomz, i supposed that the other converted games was on the list, but apparently Super Seymour is missing or i'm still sleeping?
if it is missing, is the only  one??
:P

remax

Quote from: yurif74 on 11:19, 14 June 15
is the list perfectly in sync with the converted games in this thread? except the last two ones from Phantomz, i supposed that the other converted games was on the list, but apparently Super Seymour is missing or i'm still sleeping?

Except if the game have been explicitely said not to work, it shouldn't be....

So point me to the post with the missing cpr...
Brain Radioactivity

Phantomz

Quote from: yurif74 on 11:19, 14 June 15

The four games I could do have been added by @remax

Quote from: Phantomz on 17:05, 06 June 15
Just had a look at the Seymour games for you:

Sergeant Seymour Robotcop, converted ok and worked in Winape, doesn't start on the GX4000, stuck on the title screen, fire won't start the game.
Super Seymour Saves The Planet!!, the screen was all messed up when I converted this, going to look for another version to try.

@remax

Seymour At The Movies
Stunt Man Seymour
Seymour Take One!
Wild West Seymour

All converted ok, I fixed the games with Trainers to make them GX4000 Friendly.

I posted a link with a disk that I think should work in case someone wanted to try and convert it, maybe you thought that was a finished cpr?

Quote from: Phantomz on 19:36, 06 June 15
Super Seymour Saves The Planet!! should be doable with this disks, I'm not sure how to remove the level select and 64k or 128k from Trainer.

Maybe @dragon could do this one?

I've added the Super Seymour Saves The Planet disk here if anyone can do it.

yurif74

Quote from: Phantomz on 13:56, 14 June 15
I posted a link with a disk that I think should work in case someone wanted to try and convert it, maybe you thought that was a finished cpr?

Yes i see,
i was definetly still sleeping  :-X

Phantomz

Quote from: yurif74 on 14:05, 14 June 15
Yes i see,
i was definetly still sleeping  :-X

:laugh: No problem.
@yurif74
@remax
I've just done the game for you now, so " Super Seymour Saves The Planet!! " can be added to the list.  ;D

I've made the game default to Joystick, Just press Fire to start the game.
I've remapped Super Power to the second Joypad Button.
I've remapped Pause / Unpause to the Console Pause Button. 

I've also remapped "Enter" to the Console Pause Button to get past the High score table so you don't get stuck.  ;D

yurif74

Quote from: Phantomz on 17:15, 14 June 15
:laugh: No problem.
@yurif74
@remax
I've just done the game for you now, so " Super Seymour Saves The Planet!! " can be added to the list.  ;D

I've made the game default to Joystick, Just press Fire to start the game.
I've remapped Super Power to the second Joypad Button.
I've remapped Pause / Unpause to the Console Pause Button. 

I've also remapped "Enter" to the Console Pause Button to get past the High score table so you don't get stuck.  ;D

@Phantomz
i noticed you're becoming really experienced, surely you gained some XP's
could you try to fix some of the games already converted? the ones at the bottom of the main list, lot of them need a key remapping
:)

Phantomz

Quote from: yurif74 on 17:48, 14 June 15
@Phantomz
i noticed you're becoming really experienced, surely you gained some XP's
could you try to fix some of the games already converted? the ones at the bottom of the main list, lot of them need a key remapping
:)

I have looked at a couple like Rambo and Dragon's Lair etc but had no luck when I looked at them last time, I might try again soon.

The trouble is I work with a HEX editor and it can be difficult this way.
I have to keep trying changes I've made over and over to see if there the correct ones and this can take a lot of time.

People with proper experience with the winape debugger could probably find some of the keys needed in a matter of minutes with the Keyboard calls.

I'm doing what I can for GX4000 owners, I just wish more people would get involved, then maybe we would have a bigger list.

I think I've done over 100 games for the GX4000 now, I haven't counted, but it must be around that.
I've got a normal 6128 and the 6128 plus, so I didn't need to do these conversions, I just felt that it would be good to make more games available for GX4000 owners.
I just wish more people would get involved.

I'll keep doing what I can, but like I said, I'm no expert, we need people that know how to use the winape debugger to join in.  ;)

yurif74

i tried with winape debugger monitor, but it takes lot of time and i'm not so experienced in z80 asm, sometime i'm very lucky, sometimes no luck :(
i tried with Spy vs Spy 2 & 3 to see if i could remap 2nd player keys to controller... unfortunately, no luck :(

Phantomz

Quote from: yurif74 on 18:38, 14 June 15
i tried with winape debugger monitor, but it takes lot of time and i'm not so experienced in z80 asm, sometime i'm very lucky, sometimes no luck :(
i tried with Spy vs Spy 2 & 3 to see if i could remap 2nd player keys to controller... unfortunately, no luck :(

I'll try and have a look at them when I've got some time free.  ;)

I just loaded up your " Captain America - Defies The Doom Tube " no idea whats going on with that game, like you said the space bar doesn't work.
The P for Pause and Esc to unpause don't work either, maybe they are the Spectrum controls?  ???

@CraigsBar  I hope you don't mind, but with Jonah Ship's help, I've made a better version of " Feud ".

With the help of @Jonah Ship, we now have a version of the game with a trainer, the only one available.  :D
I found a poke for the tape version, but didn't know how to make this poke work with the disk version of the game, thankfully Jonah Ship was kind enough to help me out with this.

I've had to change the poke to make it GX4000 friendly which I'm happy to say it is now, I've converted the disk to cpr.

I've uploaded the game to the GX4000 wiki page.  :)

yurif74

And sometimes i will do my part, this is the most satisfactory i've done until now  ;D

Sword of the samurai

i modified the trainer menu to work with joypad fire 1 & 2 and adapted text too  ;)

i played a lot and it doesn't appear to have a hiscoretable so it is full 100% playable on GX4000  :D :D :D

Juri

seanb

@Phantomz I've been playing around trying to convert games but even though I can find and change the keys to joystick controls I can't then take the changes from the sna file over to the dsk or cpr file.
I cannot find anywhere on the internet that tells you how to do this or even give a tutorial for doing the same on any other z80 based computer.

I've asked on here and have had a couple of responses but didn't want to keep asking what it seems was very simple questions over and over again just to get on everyone's wick and look like an idiot who should give it up so I've been playing around privately.

I'm only looking to change controls not go in depth into it but there's no help anywhere.
Not even on how to find a poke unless you have a fairly decent knowledge of basic.

I can follow instructions and by doing so learn to do more than simply what I'm attempting but unless someone here is willing to do a tutorial on changing the controls using a hex editor or go through the winape debugger I'm afraid any games that get converted are only going to be done by a few like you.

I do understand your frustration.
It's not easy when it seems like you're the one doing all the work for others who you feel should be attempting this themselves.

Phantomz

Quote from: seanb on 23:26, 14 June 15
@Phantomz

I've asked on here and have had a couple of responses but didn't want to keep asking what it seems was very simple questions over and over again just to get on everyone's wick and look like an idiot who should give it up so I've been playing around privately.

I do understand your frustration.
It's not easy when it seems like you're the one doing all the work for others who you feel should be attempting this themselves.

I don't think people will mind you asking stuff, I mean everyone had to start somewhere, just keep playing around privately and you'll pick stuff up over time.

I don't know basic or how to write pokes etc, or even how to use the winape debugger for that matter.
Like you, I just started out playing around privately and have started to get the hang at changing stuff.

Sometimes it's just a matter of getting the right version of the game, I mean some games the trainer is compressed or the game is compressed or both are compressed, or neither are compressed etc.
If the game is compressed you will find stuff with the winape debugger, but you won't in with the HEX editor, so you won't be able to change stuff.

This is the reason why I can't fix the credits in " Ghouls 'N' Ghosts " for example, because the game is compressed, so I can't find stuff with the HEX editor.
Even though I know how to fix it when the game is running, I can't do anything about it.

With Ghouls 'N' Ghosts the address for Y=32B1 and N=32AD, Y is 59 and N is 4E when I tried changing 59 to 58 (Fire1) and 4E to 5A (Fire2) It didn't work with Joystick control in winape. But X & Z worked on the Keyboard.  I then thought, well you don't really need N as the timer can just run out, so you only need Y for it to work.
Therefore I would have mapped Y to P pause button, if the game wasn't compressed.

I'd love to fix Gauntlet 2, but I can't because of the same reason.

I'm not frustrated, I enjoy doing these conversions, I just wish more people would do them too so that the game list would grow, I mean I'd love for Robocop and Target Renegade etc to be done.
I've tried to do them in the past myself but had no luck, so I'm in the same vote as you to a degree, but I won't give up and over time maybe I'll get better at it myself and I'm sure you will too.

I don't feel that I'm doing all the work for others as knowone is making me do this, I just think it would be cool if more people joined in doing them or fixing them to make the list bigger.  ;D

seanb

If it makes you feel any better I've put a lot of hours into this I just haven't had anything to show for it.

I've gone light headed and cross eyed at times  ???

On my first use of an hex editor I remapped and altered text in a game in about 20 mins and that really motivated me but since then nothing.
A few people have asked about the debugger in winape here but no response.

I think those that know expect everyone else to already be at a certain level.
With no progress your motivation drops but I'll keep trying. Going to have to be self taught I think on this one.

CraigsBar

Unfortunately most of the games that I could convert, are now done. I am concentrating on writing basic loaders to improve the look of these  on a gx4000 but I am waiting for the new NoCart tool with big format support to release those I have waiting.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode