News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Converted GX4000 .cpr - The topic (repository link in first post)

Started by remax, 22:14, 04 May 15

Previous topic - Next topic

dragon

But i think is not the case of hq.
the player is in 64k

The 128k store only hl localitation where the player accesed to the menory.

If i  ejecute winape in 64k mode. And then i tell the subroutine i have 128k. Game not freezes.

It reproduce a spectrum tipe sound, because is accesing  the hl directions in the 64k :D.

So i think i need only copy the content of hl directions. And change hl constants to new directions in the  cartridge  &c000 and maybe works.

Of course is only a theory becase i not examine all subroutine.

khaz

I wonder if some of those patches could be backported to discs for the non-plus range? I would love to be able to use both buttons on my controller in ChaseHQ. And accelerate with one of them.

Phantomz

Quote from: khaz on 02:55, 30 January 16
I wonder if some of those patches could be backported to discs for the non-plus range? I would love to be able to use both buttons on my controller in ChaseHQ. And accelerate with one of them.

When I remap the controls to convert games, I normally convert the game from disk to cart, then work on the cart to find controls to remap because carts load quicker and it's easier for me to check stuff.

I can however change the controls ( remap ) in disk format too, just need to find the new address, anyway here is ChaseHQ in disk format as requested.

I have only changed the Joystick controls, everything else is the same as the original.

Use Joypad 1 UP for Gear ( Start Game ) Joypad 1 DOWN for Turbo, Accelerate and Brake with Joypad 1 Button 1 and 2

If you need anything changing let me know.  ;D

Phantomz

I did some more work on the original " R-Type "

I've managed to get it sorted, the release button has now been remapped to Joypad 1 Button 2.  8)

khaz

Quote from: Phantomz on 16:36, 30 January 16Use Joypad 1 UP for Gear ( Start Game ) Joypad 1 DOWN for Turbo, Accelerate and Brake with Joypad 1 Button 1 and 2

Whoa, thank you very much! I didn't know what was your process to alter the commands, I imagine it would be twice more work to bring the new features back to the discs.

Quote from: Phantomz on 16:36, 30 January 16If you need anything changing let me know.  ;D

I've tried it on my 6128 with an official GX4000 controller. Works great!
I do have a couple of ideas that I think would be beneficial to this release:
- invert the buttons for accelerate / brake. Right now, the acceleration is on the button 1 (the left one on the controller), it would make more sense to have it on the rightmost button, the button 2.
- The cheat menu at the beginning isn't AZERTY friendly. it would be better to use the keycodes for the number keys instead of the characters, and also allow the use of the f0-9 keys.
- I personally don't like having cheat menus in my games. Is it possible to release a non-cheat version?

I've always felt this game was much harder than the original arcade version, to the point that I think I've only passed the first stage once when I can routinely do it on the cabinet. Not on this topic of GX4000 conversion / adaptation though, and that would probably be non-trivial to change. Things like turning speed, hit damages, hit-boxes, etc. If anything I think giving more time to the player would only be more fair.

Phantomz

Quote from: khaz on 22:09, 30 January 16
Whoa, thank you very much! I didn't know what was your process to alter the commands, I imagine it would be twice more work to bring the new features back to the discs.

I've tried it on my 6128 with an official GX4000 controller. Works great!
I do have a couple of ideas that I think would be beneficial to this release:
- invert the buttons for accelerate / brake. Right now, the acceleration is on the button 1 (the left one on the controller), it would make more sense to have it on the rightmost button, the button 2.
- The cheat menu at the beginning isn't AZERTY friendly. it would be better to use the keycodes for the number keys instead of the characters, and also allow the use of the f0-9 keys.
- I personally don't like having cheat menus in my games. Is it possible to release a non-cheat version?

I've always felt this game was much harder than the original arcade version, to the point that I think I've only passed the first stage once when I can routinely do it on the cabinet. Not on this topic of GX4000 conversion / adaptation though, and that would probably be non-trivial to change. Things like turning speed, hit damages, hit-boxes, etc. If anything I think giving more time to the player would only be more fair.

I prefer 1 to accelerate and 2 to brake personally, I can lift my thumb off button 1 and learn it down on button 2, but each to their own.

I've changed the buttons the other way, so 1 is brake and 2 is accelerate, I've left UP to change Gear, but left it so SPACE is Turbo, the reason being, if you enter the SHOCKED cheat, Turbo will no longer work on the Joypad and you can't redefine to the Joypad, this is why I changed the buttons before hand.

khaz

Quote from: Phantomz on 22:53, 30 January 16
I prefer 1 to accelerate and 2 to brake personally, I can lift my thumb off button 1 and learn it down on button 2, but each to their own.

You do? Damn, it feels so unnatural to me, with having the right pedal to accelerate and the left pedal to brake haha. Also I feel like every driving game I played was like that but maybe I got it wrong.

Thanks for the file, I will try it now.

dragon

Quote from: ukmarkh on 21:04, 29 January 16
Sounds like a plan...  ;)

Sorry for talpak users..(the picture)
Sorry for phantomz needs remade all craks... :picard2:

But...

Phantomz

@dragon

Making me do more work  :o :laugh:

I don't mind doing all what I did again, when I get time.

I'd prefer the Trainer to work how it does on mine, but I'm unsure how to change your version so it's the same and I can't even try and work out how to put the cart together with the new nocart as haven't even had a go with it, yet alone used it.

Any chance you could make the voices work with the original NICH disk and I'll try and redo it all when I get time, cheers.  :D

dragon

Phantomz

Quote from: dragon on 00:37, 31 January 16
Sure, i can do it no problem.

Thanks  :D

Think I'm going to need the new nocart soon, even if I can't work out how to get it to access other files, I'll probably need it to work on games like now.

dragon

All ok?

About nocart, if arnoldemu wants i can send it to you :) .

Phantomz

Quote from: dragon on 01:05, 31 January 16
All ok?

Thanks for doing the second version, I had to do a firmware hack on your version for the Trainer in the end as the 6128 plus didn't like my version.

Anyway, it's like 4 am here and I've been hard at work, the other half isn't happy  :picard: but I wanted to get it finished tonight.  ;D

I've finished my version and it's all the same as before, all the buttons remapped the same and the inbuilt cheat works etc etc  8)

For 6128 plus users....

Because both 64k and 128k do the same now, I've remapped buttons 1 and 2 to the Joypad buttons and you can press whichever you like to play the game.
I've changed it to show " Press FIRE button to continue"

I've also changed your version dragon, I hope this is ok with you?

I think thanks to us both the GX4000 now has the best version of " Chase HQ8)  Who needs the crappy Chase HQ 2.  :laugh:

dragon

Well technically, 128k machines continue loading all levels in the 64kb second bank ram.Where 64k  make multilodad but in the practice thanks to the cartridge speed. I think not is  possible  distinguish it at glance. So i think is o.k

Original game use 16kb of ram  to store the sample speech. And is mounted between 4000-7fff.

So was relativy easy convert it to gx4000. As one bank cartridge have 16kb to.

Only a work with windows calculator to calculate equivalen positions between bank 4000-7fff to  c000-cfff. As game is stopped and drawing nothing  when it generated sample spech, is more simply user upper rom.

The most dificult was the game compression. Change a thing with hex editor make the game crash. At lucky i discover what change and i can fix it at fly.

And the free memory left in the game, that begining in 0x164. So the code destroy the basic program that begings in 0x170 XD.

Now the only computers without  speech are 464 old,472, and ,664. :).

arnoldemu

Quote from: dragon on 01:05, 31 January 16
All ok?

yes please share it.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

arnoldemu

Quote from: dragon on 13:38, 31 January 16
Original game use 16kb of ram  to store the sample speech. And is mounted between 4000-7fff.
If you converted it without nocart - a harder and longer job -  you could put this data in the cart pages 0-7 then use the paging mechanism to make lower rom visible at 4000. Then there is much less change.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Phantomz

Quote from: dragon on 13:38, 31 January 16
Well technically, 128k machines continue loading all levels in the 64kb second bank ram.Where 64k  make multilodad but in the practice thanks to the cartridge speed. I think not is  possible  distinguish it at glance. So i think is o.k

I can upload your version that shows 1 for 64k or 2 for 128k if you wish, I just think it looks better how I've got it because like you say they do pretty much the same thing, if anything, should put 1 for cart mode, 2 for disc mode, but what would be the point as both running from cart at what appears to be the same speed.

Quote from: arnoldemu on 15:27, 31 January 16
yes please share it.

Thank you, would be good to see what the new options are like and see if I can do anything with them.  :D

So whats next? Is it possible to get the music running in paperboy from the 128k hack ?

dragon

I think is o.k, no needed  made new version of chase hq XD.

well, paperboy who knows, well basic say. load music.bin in 128k zone... And later load  patch, its better view in assembler who does.

Quote from: arnoldemu on 15:29, 31 January 16
If you converted it without nocart - a harder and longer job -  you could put this data in the cart pages 0-7 then use the paging mechanism to make lower rom visible at 4000. Then there is much less change.

And paperboy with music is the exact example of this. It manage a lot of code in 128k . Redirection all can be a hell, he need mount to lower room. But as you can say, cpc plus only can mount in lower room 0-7 pages :) that are bussy  with nocart things.

Phantomz

Quote from: dragon on 19:03, 31 January 16
I think is o.k, no needed  made new version of chase hq XD.

well, paperboy who knows, well basic say. load music.bin in 128k zone... And later load  patch, its better view in assembler who does.

Ok  :)  I wouldn't have made a new version of Chase HQ, I would have just added your version without the Trainer changes I made.  ;)

Would be cool to get the music to run on the 64k version of paperboy, feels a bit boring with no sfx or music, great game though.

How about the speech in Robocop? It's only at the start of the game I believe, would be a nice little touch for the gx4000 version though.

dragon

About chase hq and the hated system to chose level 1-5   :) . If you want phamtomz, i can try adapt the subroutine i made to the turtles, but later you need remade the pathchs, because yo patch it directly in .cpr

Ah, i send you noscart by private(i not sure if arnold want i put here in the forum).

Paperboy:it probably work mounted in lower ram. but now is not possible without dedicated monts to transcribe all jumps, calls redirections. etc.
Robocop: I not take a look still.

seanb

There's a trainer for Chase H.Q. so I can finally get past level 2.
Will have to use that.
Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!

Phantomz

Quote from: dragon on 15:30, 01 February 16
About chase hq and the hated system to chose level 1-5   :) . If you want phamtomz, i can try adapt the subroutine i made to the turtles, but later you need remade the pathchs, because yo patch it directly in .cpr

Ah, i send you noscart by private(i not sure if arnold want i put here in the forum).

Paperboy:it probably work mounted in lower ram. but now is not possible without dedicated monts to transcribe all jumps, calls redirections. etc.
Robocop: I not take a look still.

I don't mind if you want to leave the Chase HQ Trainer how it is or change it, I don't think it's to bad with only 5 levels to choose from, I see why you did it for the Turtles though  ;)
@dragon If you do decide to change the Chase HQ Trainer, I'll be able to modify your cpr.  ;D

Robocop Trainer could do with a change as it's a bit of a pain remembering which buttons are for what level as there is not enough room to change the text string at the moment.  :doh:

I got the new version of nocart thanks, not to sure if I can use the new options yet as haven't had chance to try and figure it out, not much in the way on instructions.

I'm still waiting for the version with 80ss support, probably better for me.  :laugh:

Paperboy Music, or Speech in Robocop are not to important I guess, just would have been a cool little feature to have on the GX4000 , same as what you did with Chase HQ.  ;D

Quote from: seanb on 15:35, 01 February 16
There's a trainer for Chase H.Q. so I can finally get past level 2.
Will have to use that.

There has always been a full working Trainer in Chase HQ cpr, from dragon and myself, I even made it so the inbuilt cheat can be accessed on the GX4000  ;)

xenon

Thanks for  your great conversions  ;)

My old GX4000 and my CPC 464 Plus are better than ever :-)

Regards,

Salva

Phantomz

Quote from: xenon on 08:47, 02 February 16
Thanks for  your great conversions  ;)

My old GX4000 and my CPC 464 Plus are better than ever :-)

Regards,

Salva

Thank You  ;D

It's nice when you get a " Thank You " for your efforts or see a you tube video with people enjoying a game because you've made it possible for them to do so on their GX4000 etc.  ;D

I'm sure the other guys that spend their free time making these game run too also appreciate a " Thank You " for all their time and effort.  ;D

Anyway I've done another game, this one is " Comando Tracer " also know as " The Last Commando "

Use 1 for Yes, 2 for No for the Trainer.

I've made the game default to Joystick so you can just press Joypad 1 Button 1 to Start
I've remapped the Menu buttons and changed onscreen display so you can see what to press for each option.
Pause / Unpause with the Console Pause Button, Quit game with Joypad 2 Button 1.
I've changed O and P, I've remapped them to U and I for Keyboard users as P is now used for Pause / Unpause.

robcfg

Thank you very much!

This is one of my favourite games, indeed nice to have on my C4CPC  ;)