News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Converted GX4000 .cpr - The topic (repository link in first post)

Started by remax, 22:14, 04 May 15

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigsBar

Quote from: duiz on 05:17, 12 May 19
Is Jim Power possible to port over to the GX4000? I feel like that is a great candidate to be "consolized"

Unfortunately it comes on 2 disc sides and as such cannot be converted using the current DSK -> CPR tools. It would first need cracking down to one 80 track side, and the tool updating to support large disc formats, sorry :(
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

CraigsBar

Quote from: CraigsBar on 23:04, 08 August 19

Unfortunately it comes on 2 disc sides and as such cannot be converted using the current DSK -> CPR tools. It would first need cracking down to one 80 track side, and the tool updating to support large disc formats, sorry :(

Just had a quick game of this... How had I never heard ofthis game before. Massive sprites and no significant slowdown, colourful and good tune... @Xyphoe how about a long play... coz there is no way I am gonna see beyond the first few screens otherwise... It's hard as nails on the jump mechanic... at least under emulation it seems to be.

Skunkfish

I notice that Super Cauldron isn't on the games list but I'm 99% sure I converted it, did I already upload here?
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

Urusergi

Quote from: CraigsBar on 23:14, 08 August 19Just had a quick game of this... How had I never heard ofthis game before. Massive sprites and no significant slowdown, colourful and good tune... @Xyphoe how about a long play... coz there is no way I am gonna see beyond the first few screens otherwise... It's hard as nails on the jump mechanic... at least under emulation it seems to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS6cuTfQmNw

CraigsBar

zeropolis79

Quote from: CraigsBar on 22:49, 08 August 19

why would anyone want to. its an un-finished speccy port abomination.
Mainly because it was originally intended for cartridge.. I've only played it once on my 6128 Plus (via the Gotek)..

remax

Quote from: Skunkfish on 10:33, 09 August 19
I notice that Super Cauldron isn't on the games list but I'm 99% sure I converted it, did I already upload here?

I'll have a look, i'm updating the page at the moment.

Are you sure you converted it for GX4000 and not CPC Plus ? (this page is for GX4000 exclusively).

EDIT : Yes that was that. http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/games/operation-thunderbolt-crosshairs-(-laser-sights-)/msg158129/#msg158129

The file was only for 464+/6128+. As far as i know, nobody is doing the same page for non GX4000 game, so you'll have to start a new one by yourself if you want it.

Quote from: ukmarkh on 21:27, 14 May 19I downloaded the other day, there's a few missing. I thought someone had already converted Dragon Attack, and a few others, but couldn't find them. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can miss some, but most probably it's what i describe above.
Brain Radioactivity

Skunkfish

Quote from: remax on 16:17, 20 August 19
The file was only for 464+/6128+. As far as i know, nobody is doing the same page for non GX4000 game, so you'll have to start a new one by yourself if you want it.
Ah, that would be why - I'll take a look and see if I can do anything about that!
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

remax

Brain Radioactivity

iXien

Hi dudes,

I acquired a C4CPC some years ago but never really took time to capitalize on its capabilities, just launching official games and some homebrews. And then I recently discover your project, the Converted GX4000 Software page on CPCWiki and this topic. My life will never be the same now  :D

I'm so impressed. What you make since 4 years is just breathtaking! GX4000 is considered for a lot of gamers as the worst console system ever released. To be honest, its understandable. Only 27 games on a 8-bit system released at the same time as the Megadrive in Europe. Difficult to compare Burnin' Rubber on GX4000 with Out Run on Megadrive. But with the C4CPC cartridge and all your effort, you gave a second life to this cute machine. From a horrible system launched far too late and hated by the world of gaming, the GX4000 can now become the simplest and most comfortable solution for (re)discovering CPC games  8)

It took me a lot of evenings to dissect the 99 pages of this topic but it was exciting to read your exchanges, to discover the details of all the conversions that you realized, the pitfalls crossed, the failures before the successes met thanks to your perseverance. These are not a few dozen but hundreds of the best CPC games that are now available to players with a simple game system. Awesome!

I'll take a look at the topic available to create your own conversions but please, do not demotivate! So many other great games are waiting to be played on our cute GX4000! Once again, I'm so impressed. Congratulations!  :-*
http://homebrew.amstradtoday.com, the only website dedicated to CPC homebrew games.

Phantomz

@iXien

Nice post.  :D

It's always nice to hear that people are enjoying their GX4000's.  ;)

iXien

That's just amazing. I'm like a child  :D  I have a 6128 always connected to listen and compose music, play homebrew games, show demos. But play all our prefered games with just a pad in hands on GX4000 on a big screen is a totally different experience. Northstar, Rampart, Sly Spy Secret Agent, Rick Dangerous I & II, Renegade (with your new game system), Beyond The Ice Palace, and so much more unforgettable games. And it's so nice to discover enhancements like new splashscreens or ingame colors!
http://homebrew.amstradtoday.com, the only website dedicated to CPC homebrew games.

Phantomz

Quote from: iXien on 20:15, 26 August 19
About that, versions including unlimited lives for Cybernoid I and II would be nice as I'm not the player of past days anymore and cheat codes YXES / ORGY can't be entered without keyboard  8)

@iXien

The cheats modes for both Cybernoid and Cybernoid II can be entered and activated with the Joypad.  ;)

I made sure that I added this option when I converted the games.

Redefine to Joypad 1, Left, Right, Up, Fire = Activate Cheat. 

This info is giving on the converted gx4000 page.  ;D

iXien

Quote from: Phantomz on 21:07, 26 August 19
The cheats modes for both Cybernoid and Cybernoid II can be entered and activated with the Joypad.  ;)
Damned, you saw that before I delete it from my post  ;D ;D ;D  You're right, I went to the details on the CPR list and saw that you managed to maintain the access to cheat code using a clever alternative. Well done and thank you.

That has nothing to do but It seems that everybody experiment difficulties trying to convert Prince of Persia, one of the best CPC games in my opinion. What is the problem?

Maniac

Anyone fancy making Split Personalities GX4000/Plus compatible? It's one of my favourite games and I'd love to be able to play it on my 6128 Plus!

norecess464

@iXien soon a GX-4000 section for http://homebrew.amstradtoday.com/index_uk.htm ? there are few homebrews dedicated to the console now, and the list will continue to grow....  :)
My personal website: https://norecess.cpcscene.net
My current project is Sonic GX, a remake of Sonic the Hedgehog for the awesome Amstrad GX-4000 game console!

Gryzor

Quote from: iXien on 15:15, 26 August 19
Hi dudes,

I acquired a C4CPC some years ago but never really took time to capitalize on its capabilities, just launching official games and some homebrews. And then I recently discover your project, the Converted GX4000 Software page on CPCWiki and this topic. My life will never be the same now  :D

I'm so impressed. What you make since 4 years is just breathtaking! GX4000 is considered for a lot of gamers as the worst console system ever released. To be honest, its understandable. Only 27 games on a 8-bit system released at the same time as the Megadrive in Europe. Difficult to compare Burnin' Rubber on GX4000 with Out Run on Megadrive. But with the C4CPC cartridge and all your effort, you gave a second life to this cute machine. From a horrible system launched far too late and hated by the world of gaming, the GX4000 can now become the simplest and most comfortable solution for (re)discovering CPC games  8)

It took me a lot of evenings to dissect the 99 pages of this topic but it was exciting to read your exchanges, to discover the details of all the conversions that you realized, the pitfalls crossed, the failures before the successes met thanks to your perseverance. These are not a few dozen but hundreds of the best CPC games that are now available to players with a simple game system. Awesome!

I'll take a look at the topic available to create your own conversions but please, do not demotivate! So many other great games are waiting to be played on our cute GX4000! Once again, I'm so impressed. Congratulations!  :-*

That was a beautiful post; and indeed it highlights the value of all this huge effort!

iXien

@norecess The aim goal of this website is to offer complete cover including instruction manual to homebrew games to print and insert in 3' jewel cases. Not really compatible with cartridges  ;D

But it could be a good idea for a new file that would present GX4000 versions of games reviewed in my website.

remax

Quote from: iXien on 21:51, 26 August 19
That has nothing to do but It seems that everybody experiment difficulties trying to convert Prince of Persia, one of the best CPC games in my opinion. What is the problem?

Is POP a 64K game ? If it's a 128K game, then it's not for GX4000 ;)
Brain Radioactivity

TotO

Quote from: remax on 09:43, 28 August 19Is POP a 64K game ? If it's a 128K game, then it's not for GX4000 ;)
If the extra 64K are only here to store data, it should be not a problem to use ROM instead.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

remax

Quote from: TotO on 10:37, 28 August 19
If the extra 64K are only here to store data, it should be not a problem to use ROM instead.

Yeah, my sentence is wrong...

I'll say "it's at least out of the scope of the people doing active work on this project"...
Brain Radioactivity

iXien

Quote from: remax on 09:43, 28 August 19

Is POP a 64K game ? If it's a 128K game, then it's not for GX4000 ;)

Yes, 64K game, tested on Caprice32 and WinAPE. I'm discovering DSK to CPR conversions using NoCard tool but with no success concerning Prince of Persia (conversion of but blackscreen at launch). Maybe something I don't master  :( . Can you give a try?

TotO

Quote from: remax on 10:39, 28 August 19Yeah, my sentence is wrong... I'll say "it's at least out of the scope of the people doing active work on this project"...
OK. May be a day it will be possible by dumping the 128K RAM banks and using the ROM instead with few patches? (no multi-load sure)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

dthrone

Quote from: iXien on 10:48, 28 August 19

Yes, 64K game, tested on Caprice32 and WinAPE. I'm discovering DSK to CPR conversions using NoCard tool but with no success concerning Prince of Persia (conversion of but blackscreen at launch). Maybe something I don't master  :( . Can you give a try?

Can you post the .cpr file? 

iXien