News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Converted GX4000 .cpr - The topic (repository link in first post)

Started by remax, 22:14, 04 May 15

Previous topic - Next topic

DanyPPC

Could you release a modified version of Renegade in dsk format too ?
CPC 464 with USB Floppy Emulator / CPC 464+ with USB Floppy Emulator / CPC 6128+ with C4CPC and Gotek HxC USB Drive Emulator

iXien

Quote from: DanyPPC on 07:10, 23 March 24Could you release a modified version of Renegade in dsk format too ?
Good food for every CPC? No problem. Here it is  ;)
http://homebrew.amstradtoday.com, the only website dedicated to CPC homebrew games.

DanyPPC

CPC 464 with USB Floppy Emulator / CPC 464+ with USB Floppy Emulator / CPC 6128+ with C4CPC and Gotek HxC USB Drive Emulator

Nich

Quote from: kawickboy on 15:33, 21 March 24About Total Recall: on CPC-Power it is said that this was a complicated project, but neither in Amstrad 100% (of course) neither in AA (i have read most of them) this situation was explained. Where could we fin informations about this ?
Games That Weren't explains the problems with the development of Total Recall in some detail. In short, the original development team (Active Minds) was running well behind schedule, and Ocean had no choice but to use a different team of programmers, who managed to develop a finished game for the ZX Spectrum, CPC and Commodore 64 in three weeks. Simon Butler's description of what really happened is well worth reading; he doesn't hold back! :laugh:

Xyphoe also explains the story of Total Recall in a rather lengthy video on YouTube. It's nearly one hour long, but you don't have to watch all of it to learn what happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tYYwJy2qRE

kawickboy

Thanks. This reminds me the cheat code : when you enter" the end is nigh" in the high scores the title changes from Total Recall to Total Rewrite.

iXien

And this time a new game that was really missing, at least for its music  :P :

AIRWOLF II from Elite Systems

Airwolf 2 is clearly not an Airwolf game, with the famous copter in space :laugh: . But the music is fabulous and it's part of the computer history. Many thanks to @Urusergi, as usual, for his work on this one.

Controls:
d-pad = Move your ship
J1B1 = Fire
J1B2 = Select option
J2B1 = Toggle copter sound
Pause button = Pause/unpause game

Modifications for the GX4000 version:
    - Wait for fire on title screen
    - Unuseful options removed from main screen
    - All game keys patched,
    - Pokes : infinite lives.

http://homebrew.amstradtoday.com, the only website dedicated to CPC homebrew games.

iXien

And to make your week-end shine, a very nice copy without licence of a nice game, once again thanks to the work of @Urusergi   :

GILLIGAN'S GOLD from Ocean

Controls:
J1B1 = Pick up / drop
Pause button = Quit game

- Text on main screen modified,
    - "Bagman" as default input in the highscore table,
    - Game keys patched,
    - Black border and background
    - Pokes : Unlimited lives and time.

A rare French arcade production manufactured in 1982 under the original name of "Le Bagnard" in France and "Bagman" for international publishing. There is no reference to Valadon Automation, the manufacturer of the original game. So we can suppose Ocean had no rights to create this game on computer. It would explain why the bagman became a gold digger, and why Ocean changed the name.

cwpab

Quick question.

When people download emulators with romsets or emulator consoles and GX4000 is one of the supported systems, do these romsets include all these conversions?

For example, when I search "GX4000 romset", only 60 games are included on the first result: https://archive.org/details/Amstrad_GX4000_TOSEC_2012_04_23

Maybe you guys should contact the right people to fix this? Or do romsets normally ignore modern homebrew?

iXien

Quote from: cwpab on 07:16, 06 April 24Quick question.

When people download emulators with romsets or emulator consoles and GX4000 is one of the supported systems, do these romsets include all these conversions?

For example, when I search "GX4000 romset", only 60 games are included on the first result: https://archive.org/details/Amstrad_GX4000_TOSEC_2012_04_23

Maybe you guys should contact the right people to fix this? Or do romsets normally ignore modern homebrew?
TOSEC archives and other retrogame websites will offer you only official games. The case of the GX4000 is a little bit odd for all these sites which are used to only offering original games. Here it's a little different. These are not new games but modified commercial CPC games. And to be honest, we also have to work to generate interest in a machine that has been mocked for 30 years.

Even the new games like Blinky's Scary School or SOH Tactics GX are unknown outside the community, because nobody waits for new games on this "so crap" system. 

So yes, that's right that currently you can only grab all the modified games at once on CPC Wiki. I'm personally thinking about different news to send on websites and social networks. But beyond my own love for this fabulous project, everyone is invited to preach the word 8)

iXien

Ok, here is a new one, a real hidden gem IMO, once again fully playable thanks to @Urusergi , of course :D

TRIAXOS from Ariola Soft

Controls:
d-pad = Move the character in the desired direction
J1B1 = Fire / Open inventory (long press)
J1B2 = Pause game (J1B1 to resume game)
Pause button = Quit game

Any direction to quit the inventory, d-pad left/right and J1B1 to select an item (grenade or DHE-IV CHARGES)

- Wait for fire on title screens,
    - Remapped keys,
    - Pokes : Unlimited laser, shield, time.

Triaxos is one of these games on computer in which the publishers seemed to consider that discovering what to do was part of the game itself. Really frustrating, making these games completely cryptic without any reason. I offer you a new instruction manual in the archive to start more easily what is really a good game, mature and more ambitious than many others  ;)

Nich

Quote from: iXien on 19:42, 12 April 24TRIAXOS from Ariola Soft

Triaxos is one of these games on computer in which the publishers seemed to consider that discovering what to do was part of the game itself. Really frustrating, making these games completely cryptic without any reason.
I never fully understood it; the 3D aspect of the game always confused me. It also doesn't help that in all the versions I've tested on the CPC, the game crashes after you use the dynamite a few times. :(

iXien

Quote from: Nich on 11:10, 14 April 24
Quote from: iXien on 19:42, 12 April 24TRIAXOS from Ariola Soft

Triaxos is one of these games on computer in which the publishers seemed to consider that discovering what to do was part of the game itself. Really frustrating, making these games completely cryptic without any reason.
I never fully understood it; the 3D aspect of the game always confused me. It also doesn't help that in all the versions I've tested on the CPC, the game crashes after you use the dynamite a few times. :(
Hum, interesting. I play this one several times and never shown the problem. But I trust you. And nobody found the problem to poke it ? It would be not too late to fix this version  ;)

Nich

Quote from: iXien on 11:23, 14 April 24Hum, interesting. I play this one several times and never shown the problem. But I trust you. And nobody found the problem to poke it ? It would be not too late to fix this version  ;)
I've tried, but I couldn't find any way to fix the bug. :(

dragon

Quote from: Nich on 12:14, 14 April 24
Quote from: iXien on 11:23, 14 April 24Hum, interesting. I play this one several times and never shown the problem. But I trust you. And nobody found the problem to poke it ? It would be not too late to fix this version  ;)

Upload a snapshot a few seconds before It crash and i take a look.

iXien

Quote from: dragon on 17:08, 14 April 24
Quote from: Nich on 12:14, 14 April 24

Upload a snapshot a few seconds before It crash and i take a look.
Wonderful @dragon . I can try to snapshot the crash, but I can't promise as I didn't seen it before. @Nich , maybe you keep some snapshot of your tries when you wanted to fix it?

Nich

Quote from: iXien on 18:56, 14 April 24Wonderful @dragon . I can try to snapshot the crash, but I can't promise as I didn't seen it before. @Nich , maybe you keep some snapshot of your tries when you wanted to fix it?
I've attached a snapshot. I've used six sticks of dynamite so far and I've reset the counter to give me some more (stored at &53DD). You need to hold down the fire button for a few seconds to select dynamite, then press fire again to drop it.

• When I use dynamite a seventh time, the screen starts to become corrupted.
  • If I walk into the next room, the ninth time I use dynamite, it explodes in a different part of the room. One of the robots starts displaying different sprites randomly.
  • By the tenth time, the player sprite starts displaying different sprites randomly as well.
  • When I use dynamite for either the eleventh or twelfth time (depending on whether there are any robots in the room), the game crashes.

iXien

A nice little puzzle game from @Redbug :

PIRKA from Crazy Piri

Controls:
J1B1 = Start game
J1B2 = Quit game

A match-3 game with a limited move number, make combos to win more moves. Once you have no more moves, you lose and have to press fire 2 to abort the current game.

dragon

Quote from: Nich on 19:24, 14 April 24
Quote from: iXien on 18:56, 14 April 24Wonderful @dragon . I can try to snapshot the crash, but I can't promise as I didn't seen it before. @Nich , maybe you keep some snapshot of your tries when you wanted to fix it?
I've attached a snapshot. I've used six sticks of dynamite so far and I've reset the counter to give me some more (stored at &53DD). You need to hold down the fire button for a few seconds to select dynamite, then press fire again to drop it.

• When I use dynamite a seventh time, the screen starts to become corrupted.
  • If I walk into the next room, the ninth time I use dynamite, it explodes in a different part of the room. One of the robots starts displaying different sprites randomly.
  • By the tenth time, the player sprite starts displaying different sprites randomly as well.
  • When I use dynamite for either the eleventh or twelfth time (depending on whether there are any robots in the room), the game crashes.

Ok i take a look when i have time.