News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Coolbox revised.

Started by AMSDOS, 04:49, 29 July 17

Previous topic - Next topic

AMSDOS

With permission from @Morri, I've been successful in producing a version of Coolbox which works on all computers (I hope!).

The main changes involve removing the control code graphics, which are handled a little bit differently on a 464 and replaced with Sprites which are operated through Sean McManus' Easi-Sprite Driver.
Most of the graphics, with the exception of the original graphics, which are drawn when the screen is scrolling Left or Right uses ESD, the main reason being I had trouble trying to use ESD when the screen was rolling left or right, however the code used still works on the 464 as shown in this screenshot:

[attachimg=1]

I made some other modifications which differ from the original program. The 1st main change I did was add another sprite to the game, the original program splits Coolbox into 4 Corner pieces which extends the size of the sprite. My solution was to add a little Gravestone sprite which is the same width & height as all the other sprites, to respect the original program though I'm using the same flickering system Coolbox did during that phase:

[attachimg=2]

Another little change I made is when Coolbox approaches the Door. If Coolbox has the key the Door opens (just like the original program), but when Coolbox enters, the Sprite disappears. The main reason I've change this relates to the XOR Written nature of ESD. Originally what I'd notice is because Coolbox uses a Black Outline Edge and the Door uses a Black Outline edge as soon as Coolbox went in, the sides were clipped. I hope people will agree that in this version, it looks better to make it appear Coolbox has gone inside:  8)

[attachimg=3]

I made a little change as well when Coolbox grabs the key. In the original game Coolbox essentially overwrites the Key, but again with ESD using XOR to write graphics to screen a colour clash can be seen when Coolbox moves over the key. I've added a little bit of code to make that Key disappear though it takes a little bit of time for that to happen in some places.

Anyway I hope people will enjoy this revised version I've made and fingers crossed the bugs have been eliminated.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Morri

Thanks @amsdos for all your work.
I've just noticed something from the screenshots. It's not a bug but a sprite error. When coolbox is facing right, his shades are on like he's facing left. It looks like he is looking behind himself. Just flip the shades around and that will be fixed.
Keeping it Kiwi since 1977

AMSDOS

Oh dear!! I don't know how that has happened  ???

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  I must of used the wrong character numbers prior to me Grabbing the Sprite which will need a little bit of work to correct.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

And Fixed!

[attachimg=2]

Your Computer Programs

VincentGR

I did a longplay for this game and was fantastic indeed.
Glad to see this.

Gryzor

Great little game, very enjoyable! Thanks for your efforts :)

roudoudou

Hey Amsdos, i finished the game but i had an error with the dragon after a few sound played

Subscript out of range line 4440 with s$(2) (only s$ available)
My pronouns are RASM and ACE

AMSDOS

Quote from: roudoudou on 00:18, 16 December 17
Hey Amsdos, i finished the game but i had an error with the dragon after a few sound played

Subscript out of range line 4440 with s$(2) (only s$ available)

Story of my life those Subscript out of range errors.

The problem has occurred when Morri tried producing a 464 version (in BASIC) and the s$ array went from being 1D to 2D, though at that part of the program BASIC is treating the s$ array as 1D, which is clearly no longer the case.

Your Computer Programs

AMSDOS

Quote from: roudoudou on 00:18, 16 December 17

Should be all fixed now, have removed the other faulty programs and uploaded CDT file to the Initial post.

Your Computer Programs

blackdalek

I just finished level 9.

I have to say this is the most fun puzzle game I've played in years (since Ball Dozer). It's really very well made.
Levels 7 & 8 were the hardest, taking several attempts, then level 9 by contrast seemed pretty easy and straight forward, only needing one attempt to solve.

Well done to the author!

The music was quite relaxing too. After having the in game music play for a few hours, I did not feel compelled to commit murder ;)
CPC6128 modded with ABBA switch. External 5.25" floppy drive with side switch and Multiface 2. Now also sporting a joystick splitter and M4 WiFi board.