News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC 6128 DOOM CLONE

Started by Misel982001, 19:02, 21 September 13

Previous topic - Next topic

sigh

Graphically - I think the best way to to do this, is by using mode 1 graphics. This would provide space for drawing "zoomed in" frames (in combination with the engine) and leave space for music and sound effects.

The spectrum version of Wolfenstein is wonderfully done:
Wolfenstein 8 bit ZX Spectrum

Edit: Narco Police! Third person shooter?!?! Very interesting indeed!

TotO

Quote from: sigh on 14:23, 25 September 13
Graphically - I think the best way to to do this, is by using mode 1 graphics. This would provide space for drawing "zoomed in" frames (in combination with the engine) and leave space for music and sound effects.
Because a "doom like" FPS use zommed pixels, better to start with the Mode 0. You save pixels and win colours...
Sadly, no Mode with 2:2 aspect ratio and 256 colours on CPC.  :-\
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

TFM

Well, I guess I have to devote this idea some time.

What's about a game in which you are only in tunnels or small halls. But without "open range"? Or would that be no fun?

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

ralferoo

Quote from: TFM on 20:15, 25 September 13
What's about a game in which you are only in tunnels or small halls. But without "open range"? Or would that be no fun?
a.k.a. Sultan's Maze.

TFM

No, but limited space left and right, and forward. Else 25 fps will be a problem. And yes, it's all precalculated. And why not, if you store a sprite in RAM it's 'precalculated' too, because you don't draw it using comands like CIRCLE, DRAW, MOVE.

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Sykobee (Briggsy)

Quote from: TFM on 22:52, 25 September 13
No, but limited space left and right, and forward. Else 25 fps will be a problem. And yes, it's all precalculated. And why not, if you store a sprite in RAM it's 'precalculated' too, because you don't draw it using comands like CIRCLE, DRAW, MOVE.

Yeah, but you don't have separate drawing routines for a sprite at 0,0; 1,0; 2,0; ... 159,199 either!

Misel982001

Well TFM you should try it. I think that after SFII, the Batman Demo and ORION PRIME anything can happen. Will you start it?And we may raise the fundraiser.

EgoTrip

Quote from: ralferoo on 22:11, 25 September 13
a.k.a. Sultan's Maze.

Why does everyone hate this game so much? Sure its a little slow but its not a bad game really. Nowhere near as bad as a lot of the crap released early on.

mr_lou

Quote from: EgoTrip on 17:58, 26 September 13Why does everyone hate this game so much? Sure its a little slow but its not a bad game really. Nowhere near as bad as a lot of the crap released early on.

You probably won't believe this, but ever since watching the Amstrad Welcoming Demo tape as a kid, I've been curious about Sultan's Maze - and yet to this day I still haven't tried it.

EgoTrip

Quote from: mr_lou on 18:34, 26 September 13
You probably won't believe this, but ever since watching the Amstrad Welcoming Demo tape as a kid, I've been curious about Sultan's Maze - and yet to this day I still haven't tried it.

Give it a go. Its a maze game, you have to collect jewels and avoid the ghost. Its just the slow maze drawing that puts people off I think, if you can live with that then its quite absorbing. Sure much better variants have been released since but when you consider it was one of the original titles for the CPC, and written in BASIC, it was a pretty good game.

TFM

Quote from: Misel982001 on 17:54, 26 September 13
Well TFM you should try it. I think that after SFII, the Batman Demo and ORION PRIME anything can happen. Will you start it?And we may raise the fundraiser.

Ok, I put it into my games list at place 3 (after finishing Cyber Huhn and Giana Sisters, both will not take tooooo long). Instead of a fundraiser I only need a timeraiser  ;)
TFM of FutureSoft

ralferoo

Quote from: EgoTrip on 17:58, 26 September 13
Why does everyone hate this game so much? Sure its a little slow but its not a bad game really. Nowhere near as bad as a lot of the crap released early on.
I don't hate it, I played it for many hours as a kid.

Puresox

'Sultan's Maze'-- It's amazing to think how different things appeal to different folks, I personally think it is pretty dreadful even allowing for it's D.O.B. and it's slow draw speed. The concept is lacking imo .

fgbrain

Not many people know the game Eidolon in 1986.

Amstrad : The Eidolon

For me is a very primitive Doom engine.
_____

6128 (UK keyboard, Crtc type 0/2), 6128+ (UK keyboard), 3.5" and 5.25" drives, Reset switch and Digiblaster (selfmade), Inicron Romram box, Bryce Megaflash, SVideo & PS/2 mouse, , Magnum Lightgun, X-MEM, X4 Board, C4CPC, Multiface2 X4, RTC X4 and Gotek USB Floppy emulator.

dcdrac

I loved the Eidolon and Koronis rift

Misel982001

I didnt know about this game.....

Misel982001

Ok then......TFM if you need any help, you know were to find me.....

TFM

Very well appreciated  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

TFM

Quote from: fgbrain on 09:37, 29 September 13
Not many people know the game Eidolon in 1986.

Amstrad : The Eidolon

For me is a very primitive Doom engine.

Well, I really would NOT say primitive!
TFM of FutureSoft

HAL6128

...it's not primitive but in a simple way clever. It's fractal, calculated, dotted Points, no vectors.

LucasArts - The Early Years (Part 2 of 12)
Eidolon Engine for RPG? - Atari 8-Bit Computers - AtariAge Forums
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

Optimus

The closest possible to represent Doom (levels, secrets, sound, everything) on an 8bit is Doom Vic 20 which was quite impressive and entertaining to me. With non-90 degree walls, but same floor/ceiling height, they tried to represent as crudely as they can the original levels of doom. There are even the secrets at the same places. And the sound fx are from PC speaker version :)

I always wondered about Eidolon and Koronis Rift. It's quite unusual kind of rendering, I like alternative rendering techniques. It's like true voxel landscape or cave. I always wondered how it works. I think now, it just draws those dots trying to covering every X but has gaps on Y, because later on my guess is a XOR-like fill technique (like on C64, if you search for EOR filling), that with this configuration it fills the solid parts with a single color easily.

I wish I could find the motivation and a time frame actually to continue with that wolfenstein engine and only focus on this. This is always in the back of my mind, I just need to start when I decide to start. I don't need monetary compensation or anything btw. I prefer to start when I feel like motivated and ready. I guess other people can work on their own versions of 3d engines too. It's good to see some other attempts and be impressed and motivated about it.

dcdrac

If it can be done on a Vic 20 and a spectrum surely it is possible on a CPC

Puresox

I am amazed that a Vic 20 can pull off such a feat !!

MacDeath

Anyway guys, instead of trying a "Doom Clone" why not a proper Xybot remake ??? :P

The dramatic part is that the Amstrad CPC version, despite looking like a cheap speccy port, is actually one of the best 8bit computer version, because it has (sort of) colours...

Such game's engine, if properly redone, could unleash the fury of the FPS on CPC.

Gryzor had its moments as well...

A good crossbreed between Gryzor (corridor's parts), Xybot and Cabal could really kick asses... and no side-scroolings to screew with.

Could even manage a modern network perhaps ?

Xybots - Arcade

Puresox

Excellent idea! It's half a decent game ! And as I said in other thread have a look at the controls...

Loved that You Tube clip , it made me realise how much I really enjoy the game more than I used too , The music works great. And the Amstrad port is pretty well done. I haven't seen what the C64's version was like , so I am going to have a look about for it.