News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC 6128 DOOM CLONE

Started by Misel982001, 19:02, 21 September 13

Previous topic - Next topic

Misel982001

Hello Guys. I want to share with you an idea that I have for some time now: can anyone create a CPC 3D shooter? It may sound a bit stupid question but after seeing the BATMAN DEMO I believe that anything is possible now....

mr_lou

Wasn't Wolfenstein 3D done already?

TFM

Quote from: mr_lou on 19:05, 21 September 13
Wasn't Wolfenstein 3D done already?

Yes, and there was a second one.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

ivarf

According to what I have seen, Wolfenstein is only a demo, not playable on the CPC

TotO

Quote from: Misel982001 on 19:02, 21 September 13It may sound a bit stupid question but after seeing the BATMAN DEMO I believe that anything is possible now....
... but not.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Misel982001

SO?Is anyone working on any 3D shooter? Does anything exist?

dcdrac

I have 3D Space gun for the Plus as HFE file for the HCX Floppy emulator its an ok game not great.
I would imagine Doom for the CPC would need a 6128/6128 Pus to be doable

I got wolf3d working on javacpc and it moves smoothly enough not really pacey though

steve

The Z80 is not really fast enough for 3D, but it might be possible to fill part of a 512K cartridge with look-up tables to use instead of real time 3D calculations.

Misel982001

I have seen anything from you guys. Doing the impossible. Is anyone gonna try to do it?

TotO

Quote from: Misel982001 on 16:32, 22 September 13
I have seen anything from you guys. Doing the impossible. Is anyone gonna try to do it?
It's time to Do It Yourself...
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Misel982001

Sure!If we ignore the fact that dont know anything about programming.....

TFM

..... or writing reviews (Sorry, couldn't resist  ;) ).

But back to topic... it's doable on CPC of course, but to generate complete levels and finally a complete game is taking so much time that probable nobody will do it. Or you make a fundraiser for someone who is a well coder and has no job currently.

We got two unfinished games of a doom like kind. What can be done is also shown in Wolfenstad demo (in which however the math is a bit off).
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

mr_lou

Anything is possible! (if we ignore that it's not)

TotO

Quote from: Misel982001 on 18:27, 22 September 13
Sure!If we ignore the fact that dont know anything about programming.....
It's why I said that is time... Many peoples started late for making great CPC things. :)

Sykobee (Briggsy)

I think an engine would be workable for an RPG (i.e., a game where screen updates don't have to be instantaneous). The CPC doesn't have the grunt to do all the calculations (even with the use of many look up tables) for a 10fps or higher raycast game even when you cut back loads (e.g., reduced screen size). The wolfenstrad demo is probably as good as it gets.

TFM

.... hear the expert talking...  :laugh:  Well, you must know it ;)

Look at games like Driller, that shows the way. And such games would be much faster when not being forced into 48 KB - instead of using the 128 KB machine!
TFM of FutureSoft

Gryzor

Yeah, but Driller (Freescape actually) despite having a great wow factor is not really enjoyable any more.

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft

dcdrac

I have been palying Narco Police and it looks close to Doom

Gryzor

A very interesting approach to be sure. More of an on-rail shooter though.

Narco Police (Dinamic/Iron Byte) (1990) (Amstrad CPC)

dcdrac

I am still amazed at how smooth Narco Police is even after all this time

Misel982001

What are the two 3D games that are unifinished for the CPC? Can we raise a fundraiser and pay the guy who will do it? Is he one of us here?

arnoldemu

Quote from: Misel982001 on 09:28, 24 September 13
What are the two 3D games that are unifinished for the CPC? Can we raise a fundraiser and pay the guy who will do it? Is he one of us here?
Executioner did the Doom game for CPC.

What is the other one you are thinking of? The one I am doing???

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

TFM

Quote from: Misel982001 on 09:28, 24 September 13
Can we raise a fundraiser and pay the guy who will do it? Is he one of us here?

Man, I wished that would have happened back the day when I had no job.
TFM of FutureSoft

Misel982001

TFM can you do it?We can raise money for you. I'm in!