News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC game music

Started by ComSoft6128, 14:25, 17 October 18

Previous topic - Next topic

ComSoft6128

From what I remember of the  CPC games I played back in late eighties/early nineties the music was usually quite short (a minute or so?) in length and then looped continuously throughout the rest of the game-play.  Perfectly understandable when games were initially written for the 464 and then transferred to the 6128.
What about 6128 games only?
Were there any games that the music length was expanded beyond this limit?

Cheers,

Peter

zeropolis79

There's some games which music lasted longer than a minute.
My video here highlights some of them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl0c5IDQUnw&t=

ComSoft6128

Thanks Zeropolis,

Downloaded and I will listen to it tomorrow.

Cheers,

Peter

zeropolis79

No probs. Hope you enjoy and none of them are looped.

ervin

Three of my favourite CPC tunes were Heavy on the Magick, Trantor, and Meltdown.
All stunning pieces, and all pretty long.

Meltdown is my fave CPC tune ever.
It's not all that impressive from a technical point of view, but the composition is stunning.
I'd love to hear a modern cover of it.

ComSoft6128

Thanks Ervin,

Had to listen to the Spectrum version of Heavy on the Magick but even that was excellent, a classical arrangement is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCn-uu9uzV0

I have downloaded the other two and will listen to them later.

Cheers,

Peter

tastefulmrship

I've just checked through my MP3 collection and these are all over 1 minute long (and, from memory, not looped);

Trollie Wallie, Super Space Invaders, Robozone, Artura, Avenger, Death Wish III, Deflektor, Footballer Of The Year, Future Knight, HATE, Krakout, Mask 3, Switchblade, Thing On A Spring, Blade Runner, Cyberbig, Prehistorik 2, Super Cauldron, Finders Keepers, BMX Simulator, Beverly Hills Cop, Beyond The Ice Palace, Crystal Kingdom Dizzy, Defcom, Dizzy Down The Rapids, Elektra Glide, Elevator Action, Gilbert (Escape From Drill), Glider Rider, Mr Heli, Shadow Of The Beast, Spellbound Dizzy, Stormbringer, Trantor, Treasure Island Dizzy, Xenon, Subbuteo, Xyphoe's Fantasy, Demon's Revenge, Energy, 1943, Bravestarr, Battle Valley, Cybernoid, Cybernoid 2, GI Hero, Herobotix, Marauder, Maze Mania, Nebulus, Netherworld, Radzone, Stormlord, Stormlord 2 (Deliverance), Turbo Boat Simulator, Zynaps, Gryzor, Mega Apocalypse, Out Run, Rastan Saga, Savage, Ball Breaker, Caecilia Metella, 3D Starfighter, Brainache, Dizzy, Super Robin Hood, (Bad Dudes Vs) Dragonninja, Burnin' Rubber, Daley Thompson's Olympic Challenge, Darkman, Robocop, The Vindicator, Mega-Phoenix, 1942, Airwolf 2, Duet, Great Gurianos, Space Harrier, Overlander, Hot Shot, Escape From The Planet Of The Robot Monsters, Pit Fighter, Batman (The Movie), Druid (Loader), Harvey Headbanger (Loader), Spiky Harold (Loader), Thrust (Loader), Stun Runner, Eliminator, Equinox, Exolon, Rampage, Silkworm, Prehistorik, Paladin, Barbarian, Cauldron 2, Stifflip & Co, The Sacred Armour Of Antiriad, Five-A-Side Soccer, Hydrofool, Knight Tyme, Monty On The Run, Nemesis The Warlock, Saboteur 2, Shockway Rider, Spellbound, The Human Race, The Last V8, Thundercats, Trans-Atlantic Balloon Challenge, Warhawk, Wriggler (Romantic Robot), Kettle, Turrican 2, Golden Axe, St Dragon, Batman (The Caped Crusader), Captain Blood, Purple Saturn Day, Double Dragon, Flimbo's Quest, Jet Set Willy, RBI2 (Baseball), Agent X 2, Gauntlet 3, Ghouls 'N' Ghosts, Cavemania, Las Tres Luces De Glaurung, Titanic, L'Aigle D'Or and Meltdown (SHALL WE PLAY A GAME?)

There are many, many others!
Amstrad game music was/is underrated (due to that CYD thing on the C64.)

Targhan

Never heard of the Roland Radio? I recorded most of the music. There are many, many, many songs that are more than one minute long, I can assure you.
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

ComSoft6128

Thank you!

Are these available to download anywhere?

Cheers,

Peter

Targhan

I obviously have the 1300 I have recorded, but it's a bit hard to share...
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

roudoudou

Quote from: Targhan on 10:54, 18 October 18
I obviously have the 1300 I have recorded, but it's a bit hard to share...

Why?  ;D

Still in PSTN*?

*RTC for french people
My pronouns are RASM and ACE

Targhan

The archive is quite big indeed. Plus, if you want to listen to the songs, simply use the radio...
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Carnivius

I sometimes listen to Roland Radio to check out songs I may never have heard of and then tend to download a lot of YM files from CPC-Power since they're so tiny in filesize compared to mp3 versions and you can still play them in various music players (if not native like XMPlay then usually with some sort of add-on and even got players for them on my phone too).

Glider-Rider for example you can listen to the music on the page itself, or click the bouncing yellow disk character icon before each filename to download the YM.
http://www.cpc-power.com/index.php?page=detail&onglet=zicym&num=983
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

ComSoft6128

Thanks for the interesting replies and I have today checked out Roland Radio.

Ervin - never saw Meltdown but what a great tune!
Anyone wanting to check it out will find it here courtesy of ASiC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7S0M6qJPg8

Cheers,

Peter

roudoudou

Quote from: Targhan on 14:09, 18 October 18
The archive is quite big indeed. Plus, if you want to listen to the songs, simply use the radio...
We cannot "use" the radio, just listen to (barely) 3 or 4 playlists per week, far, far, far away from 1300 songs you told us about  :(
My pronouns are RASM and ACE

Cholo

One Man and His Mic has a fair bit of podcasts with amstrad music (and other 8/16bit music) over at:
http://www.binaryzone.org/podcast/

Like a show no 7 the "AY show". Both Amstrad & Spectrum had the AY chip so they sound quite alike.

About 6128 only: as music usually took up a lot of space it was usually just about a game having music or not at all. So no "extended" music af far as i recall. Quite a lot of games that got added music if you loaded it in a 6128 instead of a 464. Like Shinobi, Hero Quest, Gryzor & Renegade.

Targhan

QuoteErvin - never saw Meltdown but what a great tune!

Meltdown was composed by WE Music, which is actually no less than... the late Ben Daglish.

QuoteWe cannot "use" the radio, just listen to (barely) 3 or 4 playlists per week
You should talk to kangaroo about that, I already did, but he didn't change how the randomness is managed. Indeed, this is quite repetitive.
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

tastefulmrship

@ComSoft6128 - CPC-Power has a lot of Amstrad game music, for example here's the MELTDOWN music-page and the corresponding .ym files can be downloaded to be "used" offline. CPC-Power even tells you how long the music-file is!

Just spend a few seconds/minutes/hours/days searching for your favourite games (or composers), download the ones you like or are over 1 minute and enjoy!

NOTE: WE M.U.S.I.C. actually consisted of ANTHONY LEES (died this year from a car accident) and BEN DAGLISH (died this year of cancer)

Targhan

QuoteNOTE: WE M.U.S.I.C. actually consisted of ANTHONY LEES and BEN DAGLISH

Thanks, I stand corrected :).
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

tastefulmrship

No, it is I who stand corrected as it was ANTHONY CROWTHER and BEN DAGLISH.
I got my SIDs confused... apologies to those who made me know that I offended them!

EDIT: FYI Meltdown was the first game I transferred to DISC when I got my first DDI-1. The "sample voice" and music were just amazing! I still listen to the theme now... albeit via an MP3 version! ^_^

Carnivius

Quote from: SuTeKH/Epyteor on 09:45, 19 October 18
@ComSoft6128 - CPC-Power has a lot of Amstrad game music, for example here's the MELTDOWN music-page and the corresponding .ym files can be downloaded to be "used" offline. CPC-Power even tells you how long the music-file is!

Just spend a few seconds/minutes/hours/days searching for your favourite games (or composers), download the ones you like or are over 1 minute and enjoy!
I pretty much said same thing about CPC-Power in my above post. :P
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

BSC

Quote from: ervin on 23:21, 17 October 18
Meltdown is my fave CPC tune ever.
It's not all that impressive from a technical point of view, but the composition is stunning.
I'd love to hear a modern cover of it.

Absolutely! I hooked my CPC to the stereo to enjoy the energetic bass lines :)

A modern cover of it .. what a great idea ...
** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

Token

Airwolf 2 ingame tune sound a bit like Meltdow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiuKDmMzAhU @ 0:16

VincentGR

Airwolf II

I remember getting the original disk and I was amazed by that track.

tastefulmrship

Quote from: Token on 13:31, 07 January 19
Airwolf 2 ingame tune sound a bit like Meltdown.
From the same composer (Mark Cooksey) - Great Gurianos